+ Reply to Thread

Loaded Avantgo and CRASH!

I loaded this pretty cool looking program called avantgo for getting news etc off the web daily and after getting it loaded and configured, my 7135 went black and after a reset came back in the ORIGINAL NEW Configuration! Everything including the address book was gone!

I hope to sync it tonight and restore all my stuff, but....

Anyone else ever have this happen, where you lose everything and it reverts back to the original config ?

Yes the same exact thing happened to me. My 7135 did a hard reset on its own! , YES a hard reset not a soft. Reset everything back to the default settings. I restored a backup from backup buddy & REMOVED Avantgo. It seems to have wierd results on the 7135. Some people have great luck with it & some have the exact opposite!

YMMV

TL

Your Mileage My Vary!

On some 7135's, AvantGo simply will not run. As for me, it's the program I use most on my Kyocera: at least twice a day as I'm riding on the train to and from work. The ONLY time I ever have a problem is if I close my Kyocera before I exit the program. That's it and it's very easy to "fix": just exit out of the program when I'm done with it.

But if your Kyo crashes with AvantGo, I'd agree to not run it. It does seem that, for whatever reason, people who once experience problems with it always do.

William,
    You may have hit it because I closed the 7135 with the program running.

I was able to sync back to normal last night anyway.
    RAM

Converged
    RAM,
    I've had the same experience as William. If I close the flip on Avantgo, my 7135 is frequently toast (hard reset). I try not to close the flip, but occassionaly I forget. You probably will too. (ie. you're on Avantgo, you get an incoming call, when you are done with the call you close the flip).

You really don't want to wait until you get back to your PC to get your 7135 back to normal (It's happened to me friday on my way home from work, where I hotsync). The best solution is to buy an SD card and a product like Cardbackup or Backupbuddy VFS. These products let you easily take backups of your 7135 software and data to the SD card. I take backups after nearly every hotsync. Then if you get a hard reset and lose everything. You just use the Cardbackup or BackupBuddy VFS software to restore your software/config and data from the SD card in your phone. Now you phone is back in the exact same config when you took your last backup. No need to wait until you get back to your PC to retrieve everything.

-Stew

Originally posted by sysmg
    RAM,
    I've had the same experience as William. If I close the flip on Avantgo, my 7135 is frequently toast (hard reset). I try not to close the flip, but occassionaly I forget. You probably will too. (ie. you're on Avantgo, you get an incoming call, when you are done with the call you close the flip).

You really don't want to wait until you get back to your PC to get your 7135 back to normal (It's happened to me friday on my way home from work, where I hotsync). The best solution is to buy an SD card and a product like Cardbackup or Backupbuddy VFS. These products let you easily take backups of your 7135 software and data to the SD card. I take backups after nearly every hotsync. Then if you get a hard reset and lose everything. You just use the Cardbackup or BackupBuddy VFS software to restore your software/config and data from the SD card in your phone. Now you phone is back in the exact same config when you took your last backup. No need to wait until you get back to your PC to retrieve everything.

-Stew
    What sysmg said.

Glad I could be of help and I probably should have recommended a backup program, too. I highly recommend BackupBuddy (http://bluenomad.com/bb/prod_backupbuddy_details.html). You can get it from their website or either Palmgear or Handango. I have used it since I first got my Kyocera 7135 in April 2003 and have never had any problems with it whatsoever.

Thanks!
    Exactly what I was thinking about last weekend.

Ed

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar
    You might make yourself less likely to absent-mindedly close the flip, if you change the Preference for answering a call.

I do not use the flip because I am often online when a call comes in, or I want to see Caller ID before I answer. I push the OK button and I am connected to the incoming call.