+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kwpst Help

Kwpst Help

OK - this phone is driving me nuts - hard resets - loss of data - resyncing - I spend more time fixing this thing than using it.

OK I am a bit of a geek and like a challange so I got kwpst 3.4.39 and the upgrade files. Problem is I cannot get the serial ports to find the phone - I put it into Data Logging Mode - after which it immediately goes back to the screen of the last palm app I was in - so I am not really sure if it is in the mode or not. I have also tried a hard reset and I have screwed around with the baud rate settings - still no go! KWPST just does not see the phone.

Can anyone help me - Am I missing something obvious here?

PS - I am with Bell Mobilty so there is no chance that the BELLWorld centres can help me because I understand Bell will not upgrade to 29/44 - I read that a Bell subsciber upgraded on his own and is very happy with the results so I am prepared to risk frying this thing if thats what happens cause I cant stand all the problems any longer
    Last edited by gtaudien; 09-13-2004 at 08:05 PM.

As I stated in a recent post, I'm no expert but these are the instructions that circulated a year or so ago. I didn't write this and I forget who did but I kept copies....

---------------

This is a suggested series of steps on how to upgrade your 7135 SmartPhone’s firmware. I would suggest using the PST software V3.4.39 for the current level of firmware (44/29).

I do not take ANY responsibility if you kill your phone. If you are not confident in your abilities to run this software then DON'T RUN IT! Take your phone to your provider and let them do it.

Some parts of the upgrade take several minutes, if there is any possibility you may lose power during the upgrade, then get a UPS and plug your computer and phone into it. If the upgrade is interrupted for any reason, chances are excellent you will kill your phone.

The steps:

1. Install the PST software (Windows only, sorry Mac peeps).

2. Backup! Use whatever backup software you are comfortable with, all your custom installed files and settings WILL be overwritten during the upgrade process so do not skip this step unless you want to manually reinstall all your important stuff.

3. You have two alternatives in this step:

3a. Prep your phone by doing a hard reset (press reset button and hold backlight key for a couple seconds, you should get a request asking to erase all data, select yes.) This will eliminate any possibility of a forgotten hack screwing up your upgrade. You're gonna lose everything anyway during the upgrade and if you did step 2 you are fine doing this.

or

3b. Deactivate any password protection or power saving software on your phone that may kick on during the upgrade process (VERY IMPORTANT!) Also disable any active hacks on your phone. Doing all this will probably take longer then just doing 3a.

4. Plug the phone’s cradle into a COM port. It is best if you can plug the cradle into a COM port that does not have any hardware devices associated with it. The PST software does not recognize USB ports. No, you cannot plug the cradle into the USB and COM at the same time.

5. Put the 7135 in the cradle and activate the Service Interface on your phone (Dial 111111, down key to options, select service interface).

6. Exit out of the Hotsync software on your computer (right-click on sytem tray icon, select exit.) and then select Software Download from the various PST utilities.

7. Your phone should be detected; it will show up a few seconds after the software loaded (if you plugged into COM1.) You may need to select a different COM port # if you did not plug the phone cradle into COM1.

8. Default tab is Software Download so then browse to the MZ image file. Also, leave "Auto Backup/Restore" checked. Hit start when you've summoned the appropriate amount of courage. This transfer goes fairly quickly.

9. Reset the phone and verify the phone version number has indeed been updated. I’d suggest you re-activate the phone (dial *228, option 1) and then update the roaming (dial *228, option 2).

10. To update the SZ firmware, reset the phone and hold the down key (the one under the OK key) for a couple seconds. This puts the phone in the mode for the SZ update. You will know because the 7135 screen will “go rainbow" the screen looks like a color palette. If you are not in the right mode, the Software Download app will not try to update the SZ firmware, but will pop up a screen giving the same basic instructions on how to get the phone into the right mode.

11. Select the SmartPhone Download tab (in the Software Download app) and browse to the SZ image file. Hopefully you still have courage left over from step 8 to hit start! This download can take upwards from 15 minutes.

12. Reset the phone (may require hard reset) after the SZ update completes, check the firmware and verify everything is good.

13. Restore files from backup.

14. That’s it!

Here is some other stuff you may want to check if you are updating from really old firmware (thanks alanb!)

a. You may want to check a couple of things in the Service programming application.

b. Set your phone into Service Interface mode (Step 5, above) and start the Kyocera Service Programming module.

c. Connect to your phone (if it asks for the service code, it is 000000. should be the default)

d. On the buttons on the bottom, hit READ. This will bring in the current settings on your phone.

e. Before doing anything else, hit the SAVE button. This will allow you to make a backup of your current settings, which you could restore later if you need to.

f. On the NAM1 tab, on the Channel Range item, make sure it says US (The Alltel phones are set to Korea. It shouldn't actually cause an issue in the US, but might if you travel to other countries with CDMA).

g. Under ERI list, make sure there is a file listed. If it is blank, find someone to provide you the correct file to go in there.

h. On the Data tab, scroll down to "Idle Screen 3G Data Info" and make sure it is set to TRUE (this controls whether you see 1X or D in 1X capable areas).

i. If you want to change your carrier startup logo, you can do that on the SmartPhone Specific tab. Any bitmap of the right size and color depth (160x90 x 8bit) can be loaded on your phone from here.

j. The MZ44 firmware tells the network your phone is NOT ERI capable (which is why your PRL changed on the firmware update), so you will no longer get the Verizon banner over-writing your personal banner. If a future version of firmware changes this behavior back to full ERI support, you can change the banners for the various home and roam states on the General tab, Roam Messages 1-6 (1 is home).

k. After you are done with any changes, save them to the phone.

l. After changes are finished being saved, reset your phone.
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

Thanks - I have those instructions - maybe my serial cable is bad - KMPST just cannot see the phone. I have checked the com port with another device and it is fine so i will try to get a new cable and see if that is the problem.

I recall reading others having issues with communications when using WinXP and Win2000. But no problem when switching to Win98. If you have access to another PC with such an OS you might want to give that a try.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Also, if your using XP verify if you installed SP2. I came across a few experiences with people having SP2 and devices not being recognized. They uninstalled SP2 and installed the hardware device, computer recognized it fine. Then they reinstalled the SP2 after installing the hardware. Not sure if that will help.
    sistermoon

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The KWPST software works fine on Windows XP, though I have not tried it with SP2 installed. One more thing to check is if you have the HotSync Manager software running. It shows up in your system tray as the red (on the left) and blue (on the right) circle with arrows pointing inward. The KWPST software will not work if that is running. Right-click on the icon for it and select "Exit".

Note also that the KWPST software does not work with USB connections. You must user a serial connection.
    Michael

I tried on a win 98 connection with a different cradle. Still no go. I already unloaded hotsync (no hotsync even on the win98 machine anyway) and still no go.

Any ideas - anyone else?

How are you getting the phone into the "data" mode for the firmware update?

TL

I am dialing 111111 then going to options - service mode - enable data logging.

Once I enable data logging it automatically goes to the last pda screen I was at. That seems odd to me.

Originally posted by gtaudien
    I am dialing 111111 then going to options - service mode - enable data logging.

Once I enable data logging it automatically goes to the last pda screen I was at. That seems odd to me.
    You're going too far. Do not tap the "Data Logging Mode" button. You only need to be on the "Service Interface" screen. The KWPST should work then.

To sum up, using your example above, here's what you should do:

Dial 111111, then going to Options - Service Interface
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 09-15-2004 at 09:57 AM.
    Michael

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    You're going too far. Do not tap the "Data Logging Mode" button. You only need to be on the "Service Interface" screen. The KWPST should work then.

To sum up, using your example above, here's what you should do:

Dial 111111, then going to Options - Service Interface
    Yes Silver is correct. Just goto the Service Interface screen & do not choose any of the options on that screen. The KWPST tool should see the phone then.....

TL

Ok that certainly makes a lot more sence to me - still kwpst does not see my phone. Are there some magical com port settings? I have it set at the default, but maybe that is wrong?

OK another update (this phone is driving me nuts but I will not let it beat me)

Tried doing a serial hotsync - will not work

Also I noticed when i got the phone that I can only hotsync using the phone. The button on the cradle does nothing. I have three cradles and they are all the same. I think I have a defective 7135 that wont conect serially.

I also went back to Bellworld to try to get someone to help. Ha what a waist of time!

Not being able to do a serial hotsync is not a good sign. You're probably correct in thinking that your 7135 might be defective.
    Michael

Well I am still waiting for a working copy of the KWPST, until then none of this works
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

OK - so I call Kyocera and find out the only authorized place in canada to get the firmware updated is called FutureTel. Great - 30 million people and they have two outlets - the closest to me 5 hours away in Markham Ontario.

I figure they can probably get this flashed - they have all the tools so I send it down to them. The guy calls me when he gets the phone and says he cannot flash it - it is missing a chip on the motherboard. I ask what chip? He doesnt know. I ask "what board is it from?" He says "the mother board". I tell him - "listen there is a phone board and a pda board in that phone - which one is missing the chip?" He gets confused. I tell him fine - put a chip on and flash it then - He says he cannot.

I am beginning to hate this fuc&*ng phone! Its probably just the morons they have "fixing" them but this is so frustrating. Anyway the phone is long out of warranty but lacks a chip on the motherboard? I will have a go at Kyocera and see if they have any customer service at all.

Ok guys - I answered my own question - Kyo has great customer service. I decided to send the phone back to Kyocera in San Diego - Called them and explained the situation, got an RMA and couriered the phone. They checked it and sent me a new phone, fully upgraded to the latest firmware. So far I have had it back for a week and it is trouble free. Turn around time was two weeks. The only slowdown was that they had to courier it back to FutureTel and I had to get it from them.

Now I am a very satisfied 7135 user.

Phone was out of warranty but Kyocera replaced it at NC anyway. That is great customer service.

Originally posted by gtaudien
    Now I am a very satisfied 7135 user.

Phone was out of warranty but Kyocera replaced it at NC anyway. That is great customer service.
    Heh, they're just making up for the authorized service center... being Canada and everything it was the best they could do

Quick