+ Reply to Thread
    Swollen Member

Angry BaseJet discontinuing service - what to use now?

Hey All,

Like many, I turn to this forum when I am looking for insight into cool use for my uber-phone. Over the past year based upon advice received here, I have been using BaseJet to access my corporate email. Recently, I had been experiencing a few glitches, so I visited the BaseJet website today to read their support FAQ and found the following note pinned to their main page:

Dear Basejet Customers and Users,

It is with a heavy heart that we must report to you that the Basejet service is being discontinued. We have spent the last three years building a business around providing a premier wireless email solution for smartphones. However, in spite of much hard work and sacrifice by our dedicated team, and the enthusiastic support of our users, we have been unable to raise the additional funds necessary to maintain the business with the right level of service and support. We have, however, decided to use the remaining funds to cover the hosting fees for the Basejet service for another six months (through January 2005).

We'd like to thank all of the users who have enjoyed this product over the years. You can continue to use the service through January of 2005, or start looking into some of the other solutions available today.

So, question for all you BaseJet or other corporate email users -- any advice on a replacement software solution with similar functionality to BaseJet? I do not have access to my corporate mail from outside the company unless I access it via a secure VPN. BaseJet was nice because it provided a work-around to our internal firewall and either forwarded my email to me, or better yet, let me retreive emails on demand. Anyone know of a similar product. Crap -- it was one of the best services I used. Please don't make me get a BlackBerry.

r

Swollen Member

Anyone use InBox To Go

Well, lots of people reading this post, but nobody with an opinion. I suppose that's why BaseJet is going out of business -- no customers???

I think I found a solution and was hoping to hear from those who may have tested this product. There is a software solution called InBox To Go by a company called DataViz (www.dataviz.com). It looks to be similar to BaseJet in that it forwards email out to a relay server where messages can then be picked up -- essentially bipasses an internal firewall. I just happen to have a registered copy of Documents To Go (a required purchase) and so I will test InBox To Go and post my success or failure.

Hi -

I, too, decided to get Basejet about 7 months ago, since it seemed the only way I could access my company's mail server, and was equally disappointed to see that the service was being discontinued. I didn't reply because I had no option to offer, and still don't, but rest assured that I'm anxious to hear the results of your test of Inbox to go. I have Documents to go as well, so maybe this is our solution!

If not, I was going to check out SnapperMail, the latest version of which MAY also work for me/us.

TIA for any update you can provide regarding Inbox To Go.

Swollen Member
    Well, I tried "Inbox to Go" but it was "No Go" for me. A couple of limitations of the program for my uses. It has to reside on the same desktop that you use to sync your 7135 -- for me, that's my laptop, and while travelling, I have my laptop with me. I've been running BaseJet on my admin's desktop and pull email when I need access to it. Next, the user must use either Outlook or Lotus Notes and have those applications running -- "Inbox to Go" forwards email from those applications to your handheld.

On the bright side, it DOES work from inside a firewall, so it might be good for some, but unfortunately for me, I've yet to find a replacement for BaseJet.

Re: Anyone use InBox To Go

Originally posted by Skiier__Dude999
    Well, lots of people reading this post, but nobody with an opinion. I suppose that's why BaseJet is going out of business -- no customers???
    I vaguely remember BaseJet from some time ago. What is the application? Maybe just a few sentence summary?

It seems that you have a firewalled network and your email server is inside? and you want to get your email from the outside?
    Do you simply need to read your emails? or do you also need to delete, move, etc. on your internal server? It sounds like there is no issue with forwarding your company email outside the firewall to somewhere else?

Would a second account/server on the outside do the job? Something free or insignificant cost that provides POP3 or IMAP access? fastmail.com (IMAP), email.com (POP3), etc. With something like that you could forward your company email when out of the office to the external account. Then POP or IMAP directly from that account with your handheld (I use SnapperMail).
    Replies or sending new messages will appear to come directly from your work email account.

what is it that basejet did for you?

-Quick

BaseJet

Quick... basically you are correct... Basejet provides a tiny client app that synchs your corporate email with their servers continuously.

When you are on the road, all you need to do is sync with Basejets servers, using the app you install on your Palm, and then you can retrieve and send email.

I'm not sure how forwarding all my emails to a pop account would in turn let me send emails that appear to come from my office address. Also, Basejet synchs up your sent mail as well as your inbox when you return to your desktop.

I tried Inbox to Go before I purchased Basejet. I found it to be not quite as good or reliable. The client app that sits on the dekstop wasn't quite as robust, and I think the cost was a bit higher, overall.

I actually do have a corporate provided Blueberry, but the phone side (via Cingular) sucks, so I'm still stuck with 2 convergent devices. I like having the email option on the phone ,a nd the phone option on the Blueberry so the one backs up the other and when i really need to, I can carry just the one.
    Peter L.

Re: BaseJet

Originally posted by plyons10
    Quick... basically you are correct... Basejet provides a tiny client app that synchs your corporate email with their servers continuously.

Is it a full sync? When you delete an email from the basejet server does it delete it from your corporate server? If so, what I was suggesting won't provide that. You would have to wait until you got back to the office to delete from the corporate server.

I'm not sure how forwarding all my emails to a pop account would in turn let me send emails that appear to come from my office address. Also, Basejet synchs up your sent mail as well as your inbox when you return to your desktop.

Clients (most?) will allow you do define what goes into the "From" field and what goes into the "Reply to" field of an email header. Then it depends if the smtp server you are sending from allows these to be different from the account you are using (it's called "relaying"). For example the fastmail smtp server allows this. It's to block spam so servers that do allow this usually require your email client to logon/authenticate. SnapperMail is a client that allows you to define "identities" where you fill in what you want for these fields as well as the smtp server you want to use and parameters for it. You can have multiple of these identies with the same smtp server specified. To the recipient it appears as if it came from wherever you say (joe@corporate.com) when it was actually sent from the fastmail smtp server. When the recipient hits "reply to" the address automatically filled in will be whatever you specified (joe@corporate.com). Only if the recipient actually disects the full email header they would be able to see it was actually sent from a different server.

So if you have your corporate email forwarded to the outside account you can retrieve it from there and reply to it or generate new messages that appear to come from the office.

Downsides:
    1) you have to set your email to forward when leaving the office (probably leaving a copy). I suppose you could leave this on all the time but then you will see everything you have already dealt with the next time you retrieve from the outside account.

2) you will be able to delete from the outside server but not from the corporate server so you would have to clean up when you got back.

I tried Inbox to Go before I purchased Basejet. I found it to be not quite as good or reliable. The client app that sits on the dekstop wasn't quite as robust, and I think the cost was a bit higher, overall.

With SnapperMail there is no desktop component. It is a stand alone email client that runs on the handheld and you connect to the internet through your cell service.
    -Quick
    Last edited by Quick; 09-21-2004 at 11:28 AM.

All of the above tells me that I was on the right track when I chose Basejet in the first place. If I deleted something on the handheld, it was indeed deleted in my inbox on the desktop the next time I checked mail.

Crap. It seems that there is no other program that will do what Basejet did/does.

I did run into one problem recently, though: I used to have a desktop computer that I left on when I left the office. Now, I have only a laptop, and that comes with me, so Basejet doesn't work for me now, because the handheld component can't deal with SSL encryption withouth the desktop component running. I hadn't thought of putting the program on a server, but that would work for now, if I had an appropriate server.

The thought of forwarding to an outside address is a workable, though inelegant, solution.

Can anyone tell me in a few sentences what SnapperMail will do that the included Eudora e-mail client won't do?

TIA.

Swollen Member
    I think I've pretty much concluded the same thing that you have -- there is no elegant replacement for BaseJet out there. I'm hoping that between now and January that the Blackberry software will become available for the 7135 (see this announcement: http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._2004-02.shtml). Either that or someone will buy BaseJet.

If forwarding your office email outside the company network is not an issue you might do the following:

Always forward everything from the office to an outside IMAP account like fastmail (one time $15 charge or upgrade to ~$20/yr). Do not keep copies at the office. Fastmail provides SSL connection. If you are not familiar with IMAP vs. POP3, then IMAP sort of does everything on the server (folders, filtering, etc.) and you "sync" your client to the folders that you want. Every client that you use then has the same view of your email (handheld, office, home, whatever). Each client does not have to sync to the same set of folders. You can forward or pop from multiple email accounts and servers into your IMAP account and use filters to separate into folders. You can use multiple identities to reply or generate new messages.

Downside might be that your admin would have to learn the outside account to manage it for you.

My worry is that these providers go out of business -- but you are already in that situation. I've been lucky in that my "permanent" address has been around for 5 years and is still going... knock on wood.

-Quick

Swollen Member

Visto MessageXpress

So after some digging around, it appears as though Visto MessageXpress may be the solution for former BaseJet users. It is a service that is designed exactly like BaseJet -- mail relay type service with a desktop client working inside a corporate firewall that syncs email to a handheld outside the firewall.

I spoke with a Visto support rep today and it appears as though the software will work, and in fact it is endorsed by my service provider Telus.

A free trial can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.visto.com/products/mexp.html

I will give it a try and post my findings, but from what I can tell thus far, this one might be the answer.

Thanks for the line to Visto Message Express - it does appear to be exactly like Basejet. As I've considered this further, though, it seems like I'd be better off with a product that did NOT have a desktop component, since I now take my laptop (which also functions as my desktop computer) with me when out of town, rendering the system non-functional. Previously, I had a desktop computer that I left on while out of the office.

The "forwarding to another e-mail address" option is less attractive since it wouldn't flag the messages as replied to, forwarded, etc. on my desktop.

My company has a webmail page, which would be the perfect solution IF the browser supported the Java logon script, but none of the installed browsers seem to, and I haven't been able to access my account that way.

Any other suggestions anyone has?

Swollen Member
    I'm in the same boat -- travelling with my laptop. I simply install the client software on my admin's machine and ask that she leave her machine running all the time. Works great.

If you're a Verizon Wireless customer, check out their wireless sync service, described in this thread:

Wireless Sync "2.0" for 7135 users
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

Swollen Member

Crap, now Visto MessageXpress is gone

I must be the only person wanting a mail push application that works inside a f-wall.

Basejet finally closed their doors last week. I had trialled Visto, worked great but I didnt immediately purchase figuring I'd use Basejet as long as possible. Went to purchase Visto, and they have now discontinued MessageXpress. Whats a dude to do? Anyone else out there know of a solution?