+ Reply to Thread

7135 crashes worry me

I've been using a 6035 in the Verizon Wireless world for several years. Love it. Looking for a smaller device, so looking at the 7135. It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, but epinions (and other sites) have lots of posts from people who experience stability problems - people who have had to trade the phone in many times in the first few months, etc.

One of the things I love about the 6035 is its Palm-based OS and the stability (probably had to reset no more than 3 times in two years).

Can anyone provide me a warm feeling about the 7135? Are all the stability issues around 3rd party applications? I'm not going to upgrade to the 7135 until I feel much better. So please help!

Administrator
    first off, welcome.

secondly, more people post on negative issues than the positive. they are looking for answers to questions.. thats the nature of online based forums...

the 7135 is a great tool but it does have its shortcomings, as you have noted from other sites and even form here.

the key is, and this goes for any hybrid palm or ppc based phone, is not to install every app out there. these devices are hybrids in nature and have had to have some comprimises built into the palm OS in order for it to talk to the phone side and vice versa. some programs dont like to work in that environment, while so do. if you were to have a quesiton on installing a certain program on the 7135, a search would be conducted to see if there have been any negative or positive info about it.

in short,no one can give you a 100% warm and fuzzy feeling about the 7135. there is (was) a huge user base of 7135's here when it came out and they had some wonderful times with it, but a lot of them have moved on to other devices since it is quite old in tech standards.

i had the 6035 whe it was first introduced and never had any problems with it like others had. my secret? i didnt install every palm app onto the phone and it worked well... even with hacks installed on it...

perhaps my rambling helped....

Thanks for your calm and thoughful review. I tend not to have very many add-in apps on my 6035 - pocket quicken, minicalc, and a game or two. You've suggested that most of the problems are related to these add-in aps, and that should be minimized. Verizon only offers a 15 day trial, and I'm not sure I can synchronize, add in my few aps, and run the phone through its paces in that time.
    But your input was valuable -thanks!
    -Matt

Administrator
    if you can grab a new 7135 (not refurbed) im sure you would have great times with it as you have your 6035. the features of the 7135 will quickly make you forget about the monochrome 6035.

if you have the time, go to the early pages of just this 7135 section and read up on the first reviews of people who had them. as a mater of fact, i know just the thread to read and ill post it here:

I've got one! Ask away... (merged)

first impressions of 7135

Post a Review of Your 7135 here! Tell us What You Think

the last one is a long thread with (a little OT posts) some reviews form different people. and these were from the first run units that were made for alltel.

smoke those over and maybe that will give you some insight...

Hi & Welcome,

I'm the one who just had his 7135 freeze up. And I still really like my 7135!

The program that caused the problem is more of a Beta freeware program and I tried something different with it. I have had this program for a while and it may have caused some soft resets in the past. I took it off for now.

I've had this phone for a year and a couple of months. In that time, I've had a few resets (maybe 1 every other month, but I think thats high), one hard reset and then this latest problem. Heck, when I do the hard reset, both times I had to get the manual out to see how to do it.

Bottom line, I still really like it, the phone is better then my old phone and the Palm side is better then my old IIIx.

Hope this helps, John

Apparently, I will be recieving a refurb 7135 from an insurance claim. Are the refurbs usually problematic? Maybe I'll get lucky. The insurance company doesn't make this very clear when you sign up, but that's what they do-refurbs!

Administrator
    not really. it still depends on what you install to it. but sometimes you can get a lemon.

Mr. MARC & others. First post and new to this PDAphone business. I too, prefer the ergonomics of the 7135 over the TREO. I would like to do the following:
    1.I am a surgeon. My secretary prepares a 3X5 , handwritten card with my weekly schedule and a second card with my hospital patient list and surgery for that day. I do not go to the office every day. I would like to have her enter the data on her Windows box, email it to me and I sync from my MacIntosh at home. So far, we have not had much success with a Zire 71. I can do it with Docs to go but is cumbersome. At home, I use AOL for email but I can use Outlook, which she uses.
    2.The only progam I would like to add is epocrates which is a drug reference app. I would like to use the device as a GPS but that would be icing on the cake.
    3. Does the 7135 function as a pager? If so, what is required to perform that function.

BTW, I use Verison. Thanks in advance.

Converged
    wofpac12

I have a couple of suggestions:

- If your secretaries PC has a fixed IP address (the network people supporting her office should know) then she could enter this data directly into Palm Desktop on her PC and you could network sync your 7135 to her desktop every morning. With network sync, your 7135 would connect to the internet, then contact software running on her PC (the PC would have to be left on). The 7135 would then hotsync all (or selected) data between her PC and your 7135 all wirelessly and without needing your Mac. Then your schedule would be stored in the calendar of your 7135. Any lists could be maintained in the memo application if they are short. Or she could put the patient info in the address book under a category you define called 'patient'. You can search in this forum about how to setup network hotsync.

- The 7135 cannot be used as a standalone GPS. You need a seperate GPS unit that would be wired to the 7135. I am not sure how practical that would be.

- The 7135 can be setup to receive email pages. At the verizon wireless website you can setup an email address like : surgeon@vtext.com which will forward email messages to your 7135. Perhaps with a 3rd party it could get numeric pages too. But it is not a pager, it is still a cellphone and as such I don't believe you are allowed to bring it in the OR? If you turn off the phone portion then I think the email part also doesn't work.

- Lastly, if you have read these forums, the 7135 is not always stable for everyone. The phone or Palm can get stuck and you will not receive any pages or phone calls until you reset the phone. Sometimes when you reset you lose all the data on your phone (you can back it up to an SD card in the phone, but you would have to spend the time to both back it up regularly and restore when you had a problem). With carefull management and caring you can keep this to a minimum, but it does happen. If your phone/pager/palm is a life and death tool, and you don't have time to play with it when it's not working, then I don't think this phone is for you. A friend who is a surgeon asked me about my 7135 and I told him that the 7135 is not for him. YMMV.

-Stew

Thanks Stew. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. We have a relatively small operation( pun intended) with 7 surgeons. While we are networked, we do not have an on site manager and I am quite sure we don't have a static IP address. I do not take my pager in the OR. My office or the exchange always knows where I am--can't hide even if I want to! Seems to me that this pdaphone thing may be a technology that has not yet fully arrived. Is that true or should I choose a different box for my stated needs? I can make the Zire 71 do what I want. I was hoping to have less gear to haul about. What do you think?
    Thanks again,
    Paul

Wofpac12, I'd like to believe that the 7135 would be stable and capable enough for what it sounds like you are doing. But I also recommend you use the 14 day trial period. Sysmg is right if the call is life or death, stability will be key. That's the only way to know for sure. The phones been great for many people, it just depends what you are running on it. My new refurb is running everything fine so far although it does not like TealMovie like my original 7135.

I'm running Afterburner to overclock for extra speed and find my Palm apps are zippy and stable at 44 Mhz.. For me crashes are extremely rare and only happen when running very challenging programs like Tealmovie. But even then it's quick to fix. I've had great luck with the phone for over a year and hope to get another year or more out of this refrurb before a tempting new clamshell pdaphone comes along. That Treo 600 looks nice but for what I am doing I don't see many great benefits. If it had the high res screen I may have been more tempted. I'm actually surprised there is not even more new PDAphones out yet to tempt us out of our money at this point.

When all is said and done, there will be nothing left to say, or do.

SmoothOp

FYI - The new Treo 610 (Ace) will have bluetooth,320x320 highres screen, dedicated phone end & call buttons, smaller form factor, 312 Mhz processor, 32/64 MB RAM, 1.3 MP camera, new keyboard & possible PTT. (push to talk)

I have heard it will be out sometime in October....but in the real world, I would guess that means X-mas time!

Still NOT Palm OS 6!
    Same form factor (candy bar style)

I for one, am sticking with my trusty 7135!!

I have had VERY few issues, none of which will cause me to switch to another smartphone. I am VERY picky! The 7135 has passed all of my tests!

The Treos have issues just like the 7135's. So if you are looking for a device that is more stable......good luck!

TL
    Last edited by tlaudio; 09-22-2004 at 04:23 PM.

Converged
    wofpac12,

Again, I don't really know your situation. It sounds like you are carrying a cellphone, beeper and palm (I was in that situation, I felt like Batman with a utility belt).

If you are truely reachable anywhere without the phone (beeper etc...), and except in the car you could always manage to find a landline phone, then perhaps the stability of the phone is not that critical. If your use of the Palm would be modest, ie. built in applications, epocrates and looking at the docs your secretary sends you. And lastly if you don't mind spending the time and money to try the 7135. Then perhaps you would find that the 7135 would work well for you. At least then you could replace the Zire and phone with the 7135.

So if you don't mind spending the time and money trying the 7135. If you could manage with some problems long enough (I'd say it would take at least a month to feel comfortable about it's stability) to decide whether you should keep it or get rid of it. Then I would say try it. But I would recommend getting an SD card and a program like Backup Buddy VFS to take backups.

-Stew