+ Reply to Thread

Audible.com => Total Recorder Settings

I am hooked on using Audible.com 'aa' files, re-recording them through Total Recorder Professional version, and then listening to them on my phone. I record in five minute segments. However, some of the segments are extremely distorted. Here are the settings I am using:

MP3 encoder: Lame
    Sample Rate: 22050
    Constant Bit Rate : 96
    Normal Quality

Any suggestions about what settings to look at?
    John H. Boyd

Swollen Member
    Looks like your sampling rate might be low. Try 440000 or 48000 Hz if either of those is an option to you. I use a similar tool for re-recording WMA files into MP3 called Absolute Recorder. It's a freeware utility that would also work with Audible.com. Basically records "What you Hear" from your sound card digitially to a .WAV file which can then be converted with a utility like dbPowerAmp to MP3 for listening on your 7135.

Originally posted by Skiier__Dude999
    Looks like your sampling rate might be low. Try 440000 or 48000 Hz if either of those is an option to you. I use a similar tool for re-recording WMA files into MP3 called Absolute Recorder. It's a freeware utility that would also work with Audible.com. Basically records "What you Hear" from your sound card digitially to a .WAV file which can then be converted with a utility like dbPowerAmp to MP3 for listening on your 7135.
    I'll try adjusting the sampling rate. Total Recorder has a free version, but the Pro version lets me set the segment lengths, and leave them that way, and both record directly to MP3, saving a lot of time.

Thanks.
    John H. Boyd

Well, changing the sampling rate didn't change the distortion. Any other suggestions appreciated.
    John H. Boyd

Swollen Member
    I've never had much success recording from a source directly to an MP3. I only have a 1Ghz Celeron and it won't do it in real time. It will peg the CPU to 100% and as a result, you get clipping and poor quality from the recording. I've always done my recording as two step process -- to a .WAV first and then to MP3. It really doesn't take too much additional time -- there are some programs around that will automate this two step process.

Originally posted by Skiier__Dude999
    I've never had much success recording from a source directly to an MP3. I only have a 1Ghz Celeron and it won't do it in real time. It will peg the CPU to 100% and as a result, you get clipping and poor quality from the recording. I've always done my recording as two step process -- to a .WAV first and then to MP3. It really doesn't take too much additional time -- there are some programs around that will automate this two step process.
    I am not recording from a 'Source' to an MP3. I am playing an MP3 and re-recording it in 5 minute segments.
    John H. Boyd

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    Originally posted by JohnBoyd
    I am not recording from a 'Source' to an MP3. I am playing an MP3 and re-recording it in 5 minute segments.
    I pretty much have zero experience with this, but it seems that re-recording an mp3 would definitely result in a loss of quality.

It's my experience, however, that any mpeg file (and this includes mpeg layer-3) can be chopped up into smaller files, and these smaller files are still playable. So just search for a freeware file splitter (or an mp3 file splitter, if you can find one, but I've only found commercial ones, priced around $20), and figure out the size of a 5 minute segment, then split the file. If there's enough interest, I could whip up a quick file-splitting program, maybe even customize it to read the bitrate and determine what the file size should be.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

Would be nice if file splitting is all that is required, but apparently the 7135 requires bit rate of 96-128. Anything outside that range is liable to lead to wierd stops in the middle.

I think I may have had the recorded volume set too high, there by causing the distorsion. I am playing with that setting right now.
    John H. Boyd