+ Reply to Thread

Using Palm Serial App w/7135

Hello all.

I'm -this- close to getting a 7135, but I have a question.

I use my Palm III (with a serial adapter) to connect to heavy truck and bus engine control modules to view trip and operating data from a fleet, and then sync to my desktop database. The Palm application requires OS 3.5 or above.

Is there any chance I could use this app on a 7135 with a data cable to my adapter?

Thanks.
    Gadetus Freakus Americanus

I don't see why it shouldn't work, The 7135 is palm OS 4.1 and you can purchase a serial interface cable for it or use the cradle that comes with the phone.
    And BTW welcome to the forum!
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 09-21-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks For the advice(and the warm welcome), mg.

I had searched this forum high and low for anyone trying to use an external device with this phone, and really wasn't able to determine whether or not it is possible. I understand (from reading here) that both the the external connector and the SD slot (SDIO) appear to have I/O capability, but I didn't know if commercial apps would work on this version of the Palm OS.

Thanks again, I think I'm going to go for it. Wish me luck.

SG

Re: Using Palm Serial App w/7135

Originally posted by Supergumby
    Hello all.

I'm -this- close to getting a 7135, but I have a question.

I use my Palm III (with a serial adapter) to connect to heavy truck and bus engine control modules to view trip and operating data from a fleet, and then sync to my desktop database. The Palm application requires OS 3.5 or above.

Is there any chance I could use this app on a 7135 with a data cable to my adapter?

Thanks.
    If it is any help to you, I use ProDiag on my 7135 which is a program that connects and modifies ECU settings in Audi/VW autos. I have the regular Kyocera serial cable. Sometimes, though, I have to connect the cable to the car, and then soft reset to get the driver to communicate. But otherwise, it works without a problem.
    -BB

Excellent.

That is Exactly the type of usage I was looking for.

I was afraid that the I/O usage would try to use parts of the Palm OS (memory mapping or interrupts) that were altered for phone functionality.

I'd love to stay and chat, but now I've got to get a new cool phone.

Thanks for the info, BiliBug.