+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US 1X Roaming

Swollen Member

US 1X Roaming

Hey all,

I am a Telus customer currently roaming in the US. I understand that Telus has a 1X roaming agreement with Verizon, however, when I attempt to log into the 1X network I get an authentication error. I called Telus and they have indicated that I need to change my PRL when I get back into the Telus serving territory. Wondering if anyone knows of a way to force this type of change while I am in the US? My current PRL is 5121.

If verizonwireless is letting you use them, you can try updating the software by pressing *228 and pressing 2 to update software.
    esmass:p

Swollen Member
    Doesn't look like that works unfortunately. I get an announcement that says the code is not valid.

I'm a Telus user from BC and I was able to check my email this morning in Washington DC with no problems. I didn't have to change a thing.
    Cheers.

Swollen Member
    I had to change my PRL. As it was explained to me, initially, the Verizon roaming agreement allowed anyone to use the 1X service. Telus customers had to update their PRL to allow us to Roam into the Verizon territory on the 1X service. Apparently, if you purchased your phone within the last several months, the PRL was already updated.

OLD PRL: 5121
    New PRL: 11443

Code to update software is *22803, 1 for English, 2 to update software.

I'm using PRL 5121 and Software 1.0.24 with no problems, but glad it's working for you now.

Swollen Member
    You may want to do the upgrade when you get back to your service area. Simply dial the *22803 and select 1 then 2. As Telus explained to me, eventually you will not be able to ROAM.

Will do, thanks