+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rapid Travel Charger not working on 7135

Hi all,

First time poster here, but long time lurker and 7135 user.
    I've had my 7135 phone for over 2 years with little to no
    problems, and I've been extremely happy with it the entire
    time.

I usually plug my phone into the rapid charger at nights
    so that it can charge overnight. Just recently, I have come
    back to my phone in the morning, only to discover the phone
    is dead, all my data lost. This has happened several times
    recently while plugged into the charger. So I went and
    played with it some, and noticed that with the sound
    enabled, when I plug it in, it makes the charging beep
    (2 tones), but then it would make the not-charging beep
    just a few seconds later, even though it was plugged in!!
    My wife says that she heard the phone beeping all over
    the place several times, indicating to me that the phone
    is having problems charging the battery.

Anyone else had this issue? Is this just an issue with my
    battery (I've never replaced it), or could it be the rapid
    charger itself?

I would lean towards the charger.

How else are you charging your 7135? Do the other methods charge the phone?

TL

The phone seems to charge OK when in the cradle. But
    when I use the rapid charger directly with the small jack
    plugged into the phone, the problem occurs. I have
    several chargers, so if I can't get this issue resolved, I'm
    probably gonna have to use the cradle to keep the phone
    charged...

eep...do you only have one charger?
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Is the rapid charger a non name brand? Is it kyocera? If not then I think it is the charger. I purchase the non name brand from ebay and when I would plug it in it would make a lot of beeps. This meant that the charger is not compatible with the phone.
    esmass:p

Keeper of the Code.
    Hey There,

While there is a VERY finicky charging circuit on the phone that can go bad, most of the problems I have seen are related to the charger itself. The phone REALLY REALLY wants the voltage to be exact, well plus or minus 2/10th's of a volt anyhow.

I would stick to a true Kyocera charger for that particular phone model. If a true Kyo Charger gives you trouble, just exchange it... sometimes they make mistakes and a small percentage of electronics always fail.

Why or WHY couldn't Kyocera just make the phone accept 5v?!?!?!

Originally posted by esmass
    Is the rapid charger a non name brand? Is it kyocera? If not then I think it is the charger. I purchase the non name brand from ebay and when I would plug it in it would make a lot of beeps. This meant that the charger is not compatible with the phone.
    not only that, but even some Kyocera branded chargers don't do as well as others, some *appear* to charge the phone too fast, others take too long (and it never charges all the way up, no matter HOW long you leave it in there...(tried 3 of em)). Case in point would be the newer one with the RED circle on the side (for the slider and others)...the black one works fine. I have had the phone just beep and say I had an incompatible charger (neat) when I tried off brands, and I will never use another generic, ever . Maybe the finicky was your phone? I have tried all sorts of them, and never had it goof up for good.

As for the question of why not 5V? Maybe one reason would be that LOTS of phones use 4.5: Siemens, Ericsson, some Nokia, I guess they decided to follow suit?
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Keeper of the Code.
    Originally posted by Copasetic
    As for the question of why not 5V? Maybe one reason would be that LOTS of phones use 4.5: Siemens, Ericsson, some Nokia, I guess they decided to follow suit?
    True, but atleast those other manufacturers designed the charge circuit to allow for more leway. Nokia can accept (generally) anything from 3v up past 5v's. Although Nokia can be forced into "Local Mode" by using specific voltage on the battery side. Nokia was also smart enough to include easy to change fuses on their models.

I have connected my phone up to a variable power supply with highly accurate digital display and checked it out. My 7135, and all the other ones which I have repaired (that's what I do for a living), are very picky about the voltage, that's all I am saying. They even seem pickier than most Kyo's.

In my case the same happens with three or four OEM chargers. Jiggling the connector works; if I hold it in the right spot it charges, but that, uh, gets old. My workaround is to travel with the serial connector cables; that plugs in differently and works fine.

Keeper of the Code.
    Hey There,

Yeah, sounds like you have knocked the center pin of the on-phone system connector loose a little... yeah, prolly best to charge through the data port.

Knowledge is Sharing
    We've found that the Kyocera charger that has the "yellow" tip appears to be the one that works all the time. That isn't to say the black tip charger doesn't work... it fits, but more often then not, the black-tip one doesn't work.

I never had a problem with the yellow tip travel chargers/car chargers as well. Some problems with the black (after market) as well as black (OEM). But the tip color isn't an exact science, but I've seen a consistent pattern.

Although: have you tried your travel charger directly into the cradle base? If it works there, but not when connected directly to the phone it is most likely the pin on your phone. If it doesn't work/charge when on the cradle and when direct connected to the charger: then we have a charger issue. Hope that helps.
    When the geeks need help, they go to the dr. When the dr needs help, he goes to pdaphonehome :-)
    out of the wireless business; but I do consulting and security as a CISSP; www.wiremore.biz shares my values and has a good business link as well.

Another thread here talks about modifying the True USB Sync cable to charge. I made that simple modification, and it works perfectly.
    David Irwin
    MCSE, CNA, A+

I just started having the same problem. I have 4 Kyocera charges, and they all do the smae thing (beeping, not really charging), but the cradle works fine. Charging through a USB isn't an option in a car?
    Seems to me the issue is with the phone itself. 4 chargers wouldn't all go bad at the same time, especially when one of the chergers is fine when it's plugged into the cradle to charge it that way.....
    Any solutions?

I have three Kyocera chargers, all model TXTVL0C01 and two Kyocera cradles. Two of the chargers are connected through the two cradles while one is used each night to charge the phone directly. I have never had any problems with any of these items.

If you need a charger or cradle I can sell you the extras that I have. I switched over to Treo 650 and I have lot of accessories available. Email me.
    esmass:p

I recently noticed the same issue over the summer. I only noticed it when traveling because that's when I will take just my charger sans cradle. I believe I have a loose connection in the power plug inside the phone. so I just charge in the cradle or in the car... I figured I would check it out next time I open my phone for cleaning... or drying.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Open it up. Hmmmm.
    Any advice on how to do it? Or instructions?
    Did a quick search on OPEN and REMOVE, nothing obvious jumped out at me.

Found it:
    55498&

Thanks!

What about doing what MGuzzy does - car chargers fit right into the cradle, after all.

Originally posted by JimEther
    True, but atleast those other manufacturers designed the charge circuit to allow for more leway. Nokia can accept (generally) anything from 3v up past 5v's. Although Nokia can be forced into "Local Mode" by using specific voltage on the battery side. Nokia was also smart enough to include easy to change fuses on their models.

I have connected my phone up to a variable power supply with highly accurate digital display and checked it out. My 7135, and all the other ones which I have repaired (that's what I do for a living), are very picky about the voltage, that's all I am saying. They even seem pickier than most Kyo's.
    CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING:

Could you help me contact the forum member "JimEther"?

He known how to either fix or work around the following Kyocera 7135 problem:

I have a bad power port. When I use my car charger (made by Kyocera) the phone blinks, flashs, churps, and, eventully, performs a hard reset.

Is there a way for me to use the cradle port to charge my 7135 while I am in the car?

How could I get this port fixed?

Help,

khlogan3@comcast.net