+ Reply to Thread

Phone died now what

After 15 months the good old 7135 has been diagnsed by V techs as needing to be replaced. I had the $3.99 a month insurance. SO here are my options:

1. Pay the insurance company $50 to get a replacement (might be refurb might be new)

2. Go to VZW store and get $200 off new phone. Could be 7135 or something ele (Treo?).

This board has been very helpful in the past. Are there other options I have not been told by reps? Which of the above two ways would you go and why?

I admit wanting to await the new Treo (650?) which has mee leaning in the $50 direciton but I would love to be talked out of that.

TIA

Rick

Re: Phone died now what

Originally posted by rbyham

I admit wanting to await the new Treo (650?) which has me leaning in the $50 direciton but I would love to be talked out of that.
    I believe you answered your own question.

15 months was good. It could be 15 months before you see the Treo.
    M

Treo 650 has a target date of the end of Oct for Cingular (GSM). I would think that Verizon (CDMA) would be around X-mas time?

You know how rumors go....

TL

Considering that Verizon just recently joined the Treo 600 train, I doubt we'll see them offering any new Treos anytime soon. Understand that I have no inside knowledge and am only going by my own perhaps delusional sense of business logistics.

If you really want an upcoming Treo -- I certainly can't blame you -- take the replacement now and wait a few months to either switch to whichever carrier offers the 650/Ace or see if Verizon will activate the phone on their network.

Originally posted by tlaudio
    I would think that Verizon (CDMA) would be around X-mas time?

You know how rumors go....
    My own cynicism would add another 3 months to that. But as it is, Christmas feels like an eternity from now.

Originally posted by PalmNut
    Considering that Verizon just recently joined the Treo 600 train, I doubt we'll see them offering any new Treos anytime soon. Understand that I have no inside knowledge and am only going by my own perhaps delusional sense of business logistics.

If you really want an upcoming Treo -- I certainly can't blame you -- take the replacement now and wait a few months to either switch to whichever carrier offers the 650/Ace or see if Verizon will activate the phone on their network.
    Take this for what it's worth, don't expect the 650 any time soon if at all unless you are planning to change carriers. PalmNut is right, it's just not a good financial move for VZW to replace a new phone with another one that does not even exist yet. It would stall sales, and also lower faith in the company, ergo "hey, I just got this, now it's gone, or is something wrong with it?" if it had been ready, I could see launching both at the same time, but they needed some new stuff before PXmas. VZW is known for making sure something is going to do what they want it to before selling it, so they will take their time (frustratingly slow as it is, but then Sprint DID have excluses on the first t600's). At this point, all you can be sure of for any time soon (soon=months) is that they will NOT be carrying it. This is further bolstered by contracts with Sprint and Cingular to carry the thing. Hmm I guess you could by the Sprint one and hack it (the first 7135's were that way), but it would be a risk, and out of warranty... Anything else is just someone's opinion/wishful thinking/rumour, and nothing more. This place is pretty much 95% rumours and 5% facts, but hey, we reserve the right to dream, right?
    Last edited by Copasetic; 10-04-2004 at 06:52 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

My two cents: A refurbished phone isn't necessarily bad. I got a refurb from Kyocera and it worked better than the one I bought brand new.

On the other hand, I switched from Kyocera to Treo a couple of months ago. Learning curve was steeper than I thought it would be. I'm still not 100% comfy with it, but it's getting better each day.

There were little things about the 7135 that I really missed -- like setting different ringer to different categories (which I was able to fix with CallFilter). The midi ringers that come with the Treo aren't as cool as the Kyocera. No voice dial. And I miss the way you can put the Kyocera on a table and it sits up and looks back at you. Treo lays flat. Does nada.

However, those are small adjustments. On the whole I judge the Treo to be a bit more advanced than the Kyocera. I'm settled in now and wouldn't go back to the 7135. It's just faster, more memory, less resets.

Maybe you could find a less expensive Treo on e-bay -- try it out for awhile and then when the 650 comes out you will know whether or not you want to invest big bucks in it.

Barb

I must be really lucky. Everytime I've had a problem with mine, I walk into a verizon store and they swap it out, or i call tech support and they send me the new one. I am way over the 1 year warranty and they still service me as if I'm covered. The last time something went wrong, I panicked because my insurance lapsed (I moved, and didn't get the renewal app forwarded to the new address.) I thought it was all over. Ten minutes after walking into the store, I was restored. It's been a really good ride, despite the catastrophes.