+ Reply to Thread

New PDA/Phone for 2005 from Kyocera?

Is there anything new coming from Kyocera to replace the 7135?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Some people say yes, some people say no. I am one that says no, nothing new is coming. Haven't heard anything about any sort of replacements from Kyocera for the 7135.
    Michael

Even if .....

Verizon is probably a bigger issue than Kyocera on releasing new technology. Look how long it took them to support the 7135. Many of us bought the Alltel version and had it activated on Verizon.
    I am currently running out of patience on the Treo 650, with rumors swirling that Verizon will never support it. There is a way to get that activated under Verizon, but it is pretty technical.
    Anyway, good luck on seeing anything state of the art in the Verizon network, even if Kyocera showed up, which is apparently also unlikely.
    Mike

I thought I read somewhere that said KYO was giong to stop making smart phones.

By coincidence, an acquaintance of mine who works for a major industrial design firm in LA was assigned to design the successor to the 7135. Needless to say I pointed out its strengths and weaknesses and told him about this board. That was June 2003. When I talked to him again in January 2004, he said that Kyocera first put the project on hold, then cancelled it and were debating over what it should really be before they resume the R&D effort. Apparently they need some sort of buyoff from major carriers before they can fully commit to a full development cycle - the chicken and egg problem as usual. Nothing new since then. Of course it's possible Kyocera decided to resume the development cycle with a different design firm, but apparently no one has seen any direct evidence of that.