+ Reply to Thread

Please help with battery question

I'm a newbie with this Kyocera 7135. Got mine from Ebay. According to the description, the battery suppose to last up to 3.5 hours talking and 160 hours standby. What exactly is standby suppose to mean? Does talking time mean any time that you flip the phone open, whether you actually use the phone to talk or not? I have been charging and recharging so often that it sort of becoming an irritation. The main reason I like to get the 7135 is because of its PDA function, however I hate to have to worry about the battery going dead on me every few hours.

Also another question is what could I do to get the cradle to charge the battery on the phone? According to the direction in the manual that came along with it, if the red light is blinking, that would mean the battery is not charging. I don't have another backup battery or anything, and even when the phone is not place on the cradle, the light still just keeping on blinking. If I unplug the power cable, that would be the only time the light would be out. If I try to charge the phone through the cradle, the phone will never be charge.

What should I do? Contact Ebay, the seller, who? Before that though, what can I do myself to help this situation? Any suggestion of help will greatly be appreciate.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The battery life on the 7135 is not very good. Certainly not as good as the Kyocera claims. Standby is when the phone is powered on, the flip is closed and you're not using it.

You should get a spare battery just in case the one you're using goes dead sooner than expected. The flashing red light on your cradle means that there is a problem with the battery or the power supply. Slow flashing is a battery problem. Fast flashing is a power supply problem. The cradle has this information written in the extra battery slot. Take appropriate action depending on what the problem is.
    Michael

Thank you for the information. And all these times I thought that the standby time also including when you are only using the PDA and not making any call. So I'd better get use to either keep and extra battery or a charger nearby huh. On the light with the cradle, it has a fast flashing. Does this mean the power cable that connect to the cradle and the power outlet is the real problem here? The cradle seems to synchronize fine with the computer.

Try these batteries

About a month ago I finally got around to buying a spare battery. I ended up going with the 1200mAh one linked below. So far its been great. I actually use this as my primary battery and keep the original OEM battery as a spare.

http://www.cellularaccessory.com/kyo71351200lb1.html

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by MoobLajleeb
    Thank you for the information. And all these times I thought that the standby time also including when you are only using the PDA and not making any call. So I'd better get use to either keep and extra battery or a charger nearby huh. On the light with the cradle, it has a fast flashing. Does this mean the power cable that connect to the cradle and the power outlet is the real problem here? The cradle seems to synchronize fine with the computer.
    Correct, the cradle is fine. It is the power supply that has the problem. You'll need a replacement. You can get one direct from Kyocera if you want. Here is a link -> http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/pr...?productID=679
    It says "Travel Charger", but that is the same unit that you plug into the cradle.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 03-17-2005 at 11:50 AM.
    Michael

Thank you both for providing those links. I'll look into it to see what would be my best option. Once again, thanks a whole bunch.

Just a word of warning -- before you try to replace your battery you should back up everything, because some of the Kyocera 7135 phones have a propensity to hard reset whenever the battery is removed. My first one did that -- any time the battery was removed - even for a moment - all data lost. The second Kyocera didn't have that problem, but I've heard of others who do.

Barbara

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    per an earlier post, I set my screen brightness all the way down. And played with the contrast. The screen is very readable in normal office light. This helped extend the life of my battery. Really made a difference.

its the PDA that used almost 60% of the battery.. if i never use my PDA i get a week on standby. Well a work week. If u se my PDA i get maybey 2-3 days but im also not a big cell phone user.

Converged
    Originally posted by cidknee
    its the PDA that used almost 60% of the battery.. if i never use my PDA i get a week on standby. Well a work week. If u se my PDA i get maybey 2-3 days but im also not a big cell phone user.
    Actually I have the opposite experience. I really don't notice much difference with the amount of PDA use. The phone has the most impact.

Most weekends I almost never use the PDA, and only use the phone sometimes. When I don't use the phone I can make it from Friday at 5pm till monday at 9am on a single charge. During the week I use the PDA a lot, and the phone sometimes. When I don't use the phone by the next day I am still near 3/4 charge. If I use the phone I need to recharge more frequently.

Basically I've found the three biggest impactors on battery life are:
    - MP3 player : If I use this for a few hours I need to recharge ASAP.
    - Phone use : If I talk on the phone I only get an hour or so of talk time before I have to recharge.
    - Phone reception : I live in a valley. In some area's of my house I get much better reception than others. On the weekend I have noticed that if I leave the phone where it gets good reception the battery lasts longer than if I leave it where the reception is bad. This is especially true if the phone has to go into analog mode.

The bottom line, is I keep a charger wherever I go. Basically I have one in the office, one at home and one in the car. That way I am always near a charger. I don't think I've ever got more than 2 1/2 maybe 3 days on a charge!

-Stew