+ Reply to Thread
    Tim

repair suggestions?

After over two years with the 7135, my earpiece stopped working. The speakerphone and headset both work, so it's not unusable; just annoying. Anyway, I spoke with tech support and tried some things; determined it's a hardware issue.

Unfortunately, it is out of warranty. They (Kyocera) charge $335 for any repair. (In reality, they couldn't tell me how much it would cost. They couldn't even give me an estimate. They would just charge my credit card $335 and sort it out later.) Given the age of the thing, that doesn't seem like a viable option to me. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other phone that would replace the functionality of my 7135.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for getting reasonably priced repairs? Or is it hopeless? Am I better off getting a new phone? I called a company called Viastar, which was recommended by the Kyocera repair person on the phone. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I sure would appreciate any thoughts from you all.

thanks,
    tim

You could by a cheapy/broken phone on ebay and repair it yourself with the parts from another phone....
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Tim
    Thanks for the reply.
    Not a bad idea. However, even though I'm OK at dealing with software-related computer/electronic issues, I'm not sure I have the skill that may be necessary to do this. How difficult would it be? I've never taken my 7135 apart. It seems a bit intimidating.

I have 7135 which has Cellular One software and I need to use it with Verizon. Do you have Verizon software that can be loaded on this PDA? or, can you use this PDA phone?

Dont you have insurance on the phone? if not amazon has got a deal buy the phone for 150 and get a rebate and it's free. Search for the deal on amazon or search here for the deal.
    esmass:p

Tim
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Unfortunately, I don't have insurance. Thanks for pointing out that deal from Amazon. I saw it on another post as well. It requires a service contract with Verizon. Right now, my wife and I are with Alltel. I suppose I could switch...

Yesterday, I got a call back from Viastar. This is the repair company that I mentioned in my post above that was recommended by Kyocera. Anyway, the estimate over the phone was very reasonable--$25-35 if they don't have to replace the part and $45-55 if they do. Of course, that doesn't include shipping, but I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'll post my experience with them after it all plays out.

Of course, if you have Verizon, their quick-replace program should replace it for free. 866.658.8823 opt. 2 opt. 2 opt. 2.

Chip Stewart
    Hagerstown, MD

Excellent repair service in Toronto area

I want to tell you all about the great experience I had with the ProMobility Wireless Repair Centre in Marham, Ontario, Canada. A battery contact broke on my Kyocera 7135. A friend in the PDA repair business referred me to ProMobility. Scott French at ProMobility fixed my problem while I waited for an extremely reasonable cost. He even offered to flash my phone to get rid of a persistent software problem I've been having once he gets the tools and software from Kyocera, which should be soon. It was a huge relief to deal with someone with the skills and equipment to fix my phone after days and days of getting the runaround with Bell Mobility.

I am completely satisfied with ProMobility's service and would recommend them to anyone needing a repair on a 7135 or any other cell phone/smartphone.

ProMobility contact info:

ProMobility Wireless Repair Centre
    18-85 Citizen Court.
    Markham, Ontario
    Canada
    L6G 1A8
    Tel: 905-470-2868
    Fax: 905-470-2932

service@promobility.net
    www.promobility.net

Repair Center Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 6:00pm
    Express repairs received after 5:00 pm will be processed next business day.

"cheap repair"? How about fixing it your self? Others on this form have reported that cleaning and re-seating the contacts is all that was necessary to fix the same problem in their 7135. Price: $0.