+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ode to the fabulous 7135

I have made heavy use of my Kyocera 7135 for over two years (early 2003.) What does heavy use mean? Well over 1000 voice minutes per month, heavy web browsing (xilino browser), heavy email use (the fabulous SnapperMail.)

For two years, this steady companion has provided the finest in voice sound-- a fantastic speakerphone, crystal clear loud-and-clear voice, and rock-stable application support. I've loaded my phone with many applications including a great RPN calculator (MathuCalc) and several other side applications.

In the car, the Kyocera hands-free speaker phone that you plug-into the cigaratte adapter is fantastic.

For the life of me, I could never understand why some people had so many problems with their phone. I stilll don't understand it, there must be something about the way I use the phone that differs-- pushing the buttons, my clean terminating of data sessions, I don't know. Whatever it is, I can tell you that this has been, by far, the finest all-around cell phone and PDA I have ever owned. My experience dates back to the early 1990's when I had a cellular analogue modem the size of a briefcase to get wireless data. I've tried them all (you name it, no cell Atari Portfolio, TRS whatever, then combined devices, etc) and I can tell you that the Kyocrea 7135 was the best device I've ever used.

But I finally have given-in and must have the Verizon broadband (EDO..) service. For some reason I need 500 Kbps on my hip. So my Kyocera 7135 will still not go away, it'll just be phone #2. For $10/month for a second phone (yes no data) I'll be happy to keep my kyocera 7135 activated and ready to go. I'll move on to a product with more features (Audiovox xv6600) but one sure to offer less phone sound quality and more aggravating nuances than the 7135 but with one valuable feature or maybe two-- broadband and a keyboard. With that said, I did attain GREAT data service on Verizon's traditional 1x data network with the Kyocera 7135. SnapperMail is a FANTASTIC product and the Xilino browser is incredible. I could browse most of my favorite websites including cnn.com and other obsure ones with this phone while on the exercise bike at the gym. Ditto for email. But with the new phone I'lll be able to do it faster and so I must plunge.

For those of you who want a GREAT PHONE with EXCELLENT PDA features and very good data features if you load the right applications (eg. xilino and snappermail), if your experience is like mine you'll be exceptionally happy with the outstanding quality of the Kyocera 7135. I've always considered it a shame that this phone was not a raving success for Kyocera and the the design team that worked on it. Strictly from my experience, it is one of a zillion productivity products I have owned over the years that stands-out far above the rest.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I agree with you. I just recently upgraded from the 6035 and the only problerms I've had have been with EIS Web browser. Everything else has worked great.

I'll try the xilino browser.

Now, if I could get SDIO WiFi on this thing I would be happy as a clam.

Xiino browser now from Mobirus

I might have typo'ld the browser name, the company that sells it is now called Mobirus. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.mobirus.com/

I believe part of the success of the browser (though I never verified it) is that it transcodes, optimizing delivery to the phone so it is also kind of a service also. I may be wrong because I never looked at what went over the air but some things made me think it was transcoding.

The result is magic because the performance and reliability is overall outstanding and far outperforms all other browsers I tested including all the installed ones as well as NetFront and a few others I tested.

And for email, its snappermail hands-down, that is one awesome email client. It's loaded with practical features and some innovative ones.

GREAT POST!!

I couldn't agree more... This product has been nearly flawless for me as well. As I look at the new products coming on line, the thing that strikes me is that they may be a small improvement, but for what I do, the 7135 does everything that I need and more.
    Mike

My 7135 has not been flawless, but it has been very good, and I agree with you that sound quality and all the rest are hard to match. Kyocera did a good job -- not a perfect job, but a good one -- and it's really sad that they don't seem interested in following it up.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Thumbs up Xiino

Downloaded Xiino 3.3E from the Treo software website. This is really a good program. I visted the website that crashed EIS browser and Xiino loaded it with no problems in 1/2 the time. The graphics were rendered better, too.

johnnygeneric

I have to agree.. Almost two years and only I replacement later. I don't see any reason to go to another.
    Larry
    XV6900/Treo700w/Samsung I600/Kyo7135

It's refreshing to see all these satisfied 7135 users. There has been so much whining and complaining about the 7135 over the years, that one might get the misimpression that everyone is plagued with problems with this phone.

I've had mine since January of 2003. Believe me, it's been through the war. I have worked it extremely hard, have not been especially careful in its care, and it has served me well (not flawlessley but well) all these years. I hate to give it up. However, I want some features not available for this phone. I want to connect my next pdaPhone to a bluetooth compliant GPS navigational device and bluetooth compliant headset. I want WiFi and I want EVDO broadband speeds. These features are available (or soon to be available) and so I see my 7135 being put to rest in the near future. It has served me extremely well.
    Last edited by dwdod; 03-21-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    Dave

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    My 7135, which I have had since April 2003 and it's never been replaced, has been very good for me. The phone info application shows 9377 calls and 11851 minutes logged. It's still going strong! The only instability problems I have had is when using dodgy software (my own fault). The 7135 is a great device. I would like it to be a little faster (CPU wise), but it does good with its limited speed.
    Michael

oops...wrong button....ignore this post!
    Dave

I completely agree. My 7135 was my best pda phone ever! It was great! Unfortunately my uncontrollable urge to buy new phones meant I only used it a year, but if I was still on Verizon I would go back.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    I completely agree. My 7135 was my best pda phone ever! It was great! Unfortunately my uncontrollable urge to buy new phones meant I only used it a year, but if I was still on Verizon I would go back.
    Guessing by your avatar, I would say you are now "unconverged". If that is correct, are separate devices working well for you? I've thought about unconverging myself, but I want to stay with Verizon and they only have one bluetooth phone (the Moto V710 which does not get good reviews).
    Dave

Originally posted by dwdod
    I've thought about unconverging myself, but I want to stay with Verizon and they only have one bluetooth phone (the Moto V710 which does not get good reviews).
    That's not quite true. The Blackberry 7250 also has Bluetooth, and apparently fairly functional BT at that.

Also, the really high-end converged devices also have BT, but so far, they're not really thriling me, personally. The Samsung i730 may change that, but Microsoft makes me itchy.

For the most part, the iffy reviews of the v710 seem to stem more from the things people think it ought to have had and doesn't, rather than the performance of what it does have, altho' it's possible I've missed something.

I have been uncoverged for a while now. Just based on my usage, separate devices do seem to be better. I really wanted a better pda and a better phone. At the time, a single device didn't cut it. After going to two devices, I found I used my pda less and less. Now that I am using the blackberry as my phone, I may even try losing the pda, just for kicks

And yes, the bad reviews of the v710 do seem to be based on a crippled bt. But if it's not what you need, then the phone is pretty decent. My roommate has one and is very happy. But the only bluetooth she needs is for her car and a headset. And it can be used as a modem (DUN profile is there), which is more than I can say for my blackberry! OBEX is disabled, so no file transfer or bt dialing.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    I have been uncoverged for a while now. Just based on my usage, separate devices do seem to be better. I really wanted a better pda and a better phone. At the time, a single device didn't cut it. After going to two devices, I found I used my pda less and less. Now that I am using the blackberry as my phone, I may even try losing the pda, just for kicks

And yes, the bad reviews of the v710 do seem to be based on a crippled bt. But if it's not what you need, then the phone is pretty decent. My roommate has one and is very happy. But the only bluetooth she needs is for her car and a headset. And it can be used as a modem (DUN profile is there), which is more than I can say for my blackberry! OBEX is disabled, so no file transfer or bt dialing.
    Thanks for the reply harleyxlc,

I have one very high priority that must be met whichever way I decide to go.
    1. Bluetooth enabled GPS navigation. There are a variety of pda's on the market right now that are capable of this add-on (several ipaqs, Dell Axim, etc.). If I decide to unconverge, it is crucial that bluetooth on both devices work together such that I have GPS navigation and be able to receive and place phone calls via a bluetooth headset simultaneously. Any insight/advice you might wish to offer would be most welcomed!
    Dave

Well...my current setup does that because there is no bt communication between the ipaq and the blackberry. The blackberry works with both the Moto 810 and the Logitech bluetooth headsets (many others too, but those are the two I use). The ipaq works with a Bluelogger gps and Mapopolis software.

Although....and I don't know the answer yet, I do have some lag issues with the 3115 and the Mapopolis software. I did not have these issues with the 4705. My thought is processor, but the 3115 seems just as fast (or slow) as the 4705. And I actually have two 3115's to work with, same issue.

So you may want to watch for processor speed....

If you were looking for some bt between the ipaq and phone while using a bt gps, I believe most can handle that. I think the problem would be if you wanted the bluetooth headset to work with the gps and the pda or phone. I don't think headsets can handle this.
    My sordid past:

Re: Ode to the fabulous 7135

Originally posted by ericgr
    I've tried them all (you name it, no cell Atari Portfolio, TRS whatever, then combined devices, etc) and I can tell you that the Kyocrea 7135 was the best device I've ever used.
    Now THAT's a blast from the past! Most people have probably never heard of the Atari Portfolio but it was one of the first miniature notebook computers. Do you still own yours?

Re: Re: Ode to the fabulous 7135

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Now THAT's a blast from the past! Most people have probably never heard of the Atari Portfolio but it was one of the first miniature notebook computers. Do you still own yours?
    I still have my KayPro.... one of the first Luggables
    mg

PS
    harleyxlc good to still see you hangin' around albiet in an unconverged state!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I owned an Atari luggable, the "STacy", but the Portfolio was something much smaller. It was really one of the first "ultralight" notebooks, and it had built in midi ports too! Way ahead of its time.

atari etc

Yes I have actually kept many of my PDA's dating back about 15 years and still have a portfolio. I never did keep my 520ST (desktop Atari). Also have some other cool and lesser known variations of lightweight systems like the Lexmark MB10 which was a pretty good instant on device.

And I also remember those kaypro's, I used to develop on one of those. It's amazing when we think back on a time when the PC didn't exist and once it did, what kinds of decisions people had. For example, when serious business tradeoffs were done about using an IBM PC versus a Commodore 64 which, early-on, competed with the PC for possible ownership of the business desktop.

I emailed my ode to kyocera, by the way, to kyocera through their general website email and the email was forwarded to a senior person from the development/marketing team who thanked me. That alone shows they have their act together.

Also by the way, not to detract from the wonderful Kyocera 7135 which I maintain and will continue to use as a 2nd phone, the Audiovox vx6600 with camera version that Verizon is now selling (and not one picked-up necessarily from some other sources) has improvements over the early versions released and, after a day of heavy testing and loading, appears to be a downright good phone and obviously a very powerful PDA. All the complaints (volume, etc) appear to be resolved except I will of course continue to test. The trick with all of these is phones is to choose the right software and this forum helps a ton with that. Key tips and applications for business users from my perspective are as follows, I will also post this to the xv6600 forum. Thanks to all the people on this forum who provided the information that helped me build this configuration, note to support this forum also visit the pdaphonehome.com store to see if you they have what you want:

You can use oldringerl available on this forum and it will ring so loudly they hear it 3 offices down.

Netfront as a browser not IE, go to NetFront settings and configure as default browser
    http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/

WsiMail for mail http://www.webis.net

PhoneAlarm for many useful phone utilities
    http://www.pocketmax.net/phoneAlarm.htm

Microsoft Voice command because it is a scary incredibly product-- exceptional voice recognition with no training.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...d/default.mspx

Calcnow freeware rpn calculator
    http://www.freewareppc.com/calculator/calcnow.shtml

Free Adobe Acrobat PDF reader
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html

Piel leather case, a Brandon case (leather over hard plastic for strength) is on order should be received soon. I don't yet have an opinion on the Brandon one, spec's look good. A guy on ebay sells the Brandon one but I don't have it yet, he says he shipped on Saturday (takes him 7 days to ship).
    Piel
    http://www.executivepda.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.1445/.f
    picture of Brandon
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...&postid=312745
    there are some case threads on the forum for more info.

Get good quality fused power-protected combo pack of chargers for the car and home that have LED indicators etc (outside of office) such as from http://www.thepocketsolution.com, he also sells on ebay.

I have an HBH-660 coming soon for a bluetooth wireless headphone, based on the poll here it should work pretty well. These sell on ebay pretty reasonably, I bought one from dans_cellular_accessories and he included a free car charger at an excellent price.

Handyswitcher to manage applications and memory
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=85760

SocketIO SDIO WiFi card gives you wifi on the unit (insert card requires soft reset for recognition). Go to their website and get latest Socket WLAN Tools, helpful utility. ecost.com has them at a discount, company web page is http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp

2200 longer life lithium ion battery
    http://etxquc.simplyonline.com/searc...CPDA&stype=cat

Settings:

Configure keyboard lock so that only power button turns the unit on after being turned off: Settings/System/Button Lock- Lock all buttons except Power button

Settings/personal/Buttons-- personalize your buttons, NetFront for browser, wismail for email, others you want.

Settings/Connections/Beam-- disable receive incoming beam, turning off infrared