+ Reply to Thread

Two 7135 stories

1) I bought a 7135 on Ebay for my wife. We managed to get the phone activated, but then the SRCP problem started ... it was more off than on, and draining the battery in a matter of hours. I couldn't get *anything* out of the Verizon techs, either by phone or at the store.

Then my wife dropped the phone onto the hardwood floor. It picked up a few scuffs but the screen didn't break. However the SRCP problem ecame much more rare afterwards. In fact the phone is now usable, although it has episodes of mulish behavior. I'm beginning to believe that this is more a battery problem than anything else. Anybody with a similar experience?

2) Emboldened by this "success" I bought another 7135 on ebay. Verizon flatly refuses to activate this one, because they say that the ESN is incorrect, and the phone shows up as an analog phone in their database. They suggest that the phone has been tampered with - highly unlikely, because the phone sports the original Kyocera label behind the battery cover and I read the ESN off of there - it matches what's in the phone.

Since Verizon won't help, do any of you have software that can change the ESN of the 7135? The techies told me on the phone that it's burned into the chip, but I tend not to believe that. Mind you I don't want to spend twice the amount the phone cost me just to change the ESN. But it would be nice to have a backup plan in case the first 7135 goes SRCP again.

I don't know if it can be done, but you need to know that changing a phone's ESN is illegal.

Try calling again. I find I get different answers with different Verizon reps. Also, e-mail me during the day tomorrow - I've got the number for ther Verizon Quick Replace Program on my desk at work.

Chip Stewart
    Hagerstown, MD

That's affirmative. I called about 6 times, got a different rep every time, and got answers in a wide range from reps simply hanging up on me to extremely polite excuses that they can't do anything. When I asked to "escalate" the problem they simply put me on hold and hung up 10 minutes later.

My interpretation: they must know that they have a problem but just my account must not be worth the pain to them to fix it.

-- George

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Have you tried activating it on the Verizon web site?? You have the ESN so you should be able to do it.
    Michael

Activating on the web site was the very first thing I tried. I got rejected immediately ("call us").

BTW, yesterday evening I got another callback from Verizon (just goes to show how much ruckus I created) and the rep again told me that Verizon is not going to activate this phone for me. I guess I'm going to look for another provider. I need to read messages in this forum more carefully to figure out which ones might work for this phone.

-- George