+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running MP3 Audio Through Car Stereo

Has anyone successfuly tried this? I picked up a stereo to stereo adapter at radio shack so I could plug my car's cassette adapter that is usually used for my son's MP3 player. It worked for a minute bu then went into electro-spasm mode, just like it does if you try to plug in some Nokia headsets. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this without my phone looking like it needs anti-psychotic drugs?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I love using the MP3 player and I'd really like to not have to carry another bit of equipment just so I can play them through the car's audio system.

KJB
    KJB

The adapter from Radio Shack won't work, the jack on the 7135 is nonstandard. You'll need a specific adapter...try this website:
    http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...._ID=PPCPADPT09

I have it and play MP3 on my 7135 via the cassette adapter in my car stereo. Even able to answer calls thru my car speakers.

Very cool. Thanks! I just keep finding more and more things to do with this phone and I've owned it since Verizon began offering them (I was the second person in the KC market to get one - the forst was the Verizon CS rep I got to know very well as we both tried to figure out our new toy).

KJB
    KJB

I just purchased that adapter and an fm transmitter. The transmitter works (I plugged it into my laptop. I am still waiting for the adapter. It should be here Monday.
    Sandy Wagner

I think I might try to make a cable that'll do this, and tie in my hard-mounted microphone as well - a true car phone! Just put a four-conductor plug on the other end and a four-conductor jack in the radio console (or else two plugs and jacks for speakers and mic), and tie into the CD-in audio input. Anyone have a broken set of headphones they want to contribute or sell?

Chip Stewart
    Hagerstown, MD

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I use a "coolcat" adapter (no longer available as far as I know) and an iRock 400FM transmitter to play music from my 7135 on my truck stereo. Works great!
    Michael

Originally posted by swagner
    I just purchased that adapter and an fm transmitter. The transmitter works (I plugged it into my laptop. I am still waiting for the adapter. It should be here Monday.

Well,.......................... any success??

Success. It works very well although I get a bit of noise when I plud the phone into the car charger as well. I am sure it is simply because the ground on the power cord needs to be a bit better.

The speakerphone works awesome! I can adjust the volume from the car radio and the mic works just fine with no echo. The button on the mic helps because I don't have to open the phone. Just click the button on the mic and voice dial or answer the phone.
    All I have to do is clean up the wiring all over the car now.
    Sandy Wagner

Which FM transmitter are you using? While I try to avoid technology for technology's sake, this one sounds too cool to pass up. Plus my car's CD player broke, and MP3 audio + speakerphone sounds like a winning combo. BUT - looking at user opinions of FM transmitters, there seem to be very mixed opinions for almost any model.

By the way, did you know that you don't have to open the phone or push a button to make or answer calls? You just have to voice train the phone to recognize "wake up" "yes" and "no" plus your phone contacts. If you have a headset on and the phone plugged into the charger, to dial you simply say "wake up", wait for beep, say "wake up" again, wait for 2-tone beep, then speak the name from your voice dial list. To answer a call, you'll hear the phone say "incoming call - answer?" then you say "yes" or "no". Yet another cool but little known feature of the 7135. Presumably all this would work through the speakerphone too.

when i play mp3s through the fm transmitter, all 4 speakers play. When I plug in the power cord, 2 speakers stop and there is a hum in the background. Anyone else experience this/fix this?

This sounds too cool, but I'm a little confused as to the actual parts reqired. A transmitter and an adapter? What comes out of the 7135 and what goes into the car system?

Thanks -
    Donald

I am having some trouble doing this. I got an 18$ transmitter at Target, and I am using the PC-Moble headphone adapter.

I am getting NO BASS. I think its the MP3 player that came with the phone personally. There is no bass heard on headphones either (the big kind!)

You CAN turn up the bass using the software, and that does help a lot, but its still purposefully turning DOWN the bass to begin with. The result is that the signal is being filtered and refiltered = badness.

Maybe BeBopper would work better? Or is the phone somehow reducing bass frequencies?

Anyway. I am selling the PC-Moble headphone adapter on ebay at a good price if anybody needs one. Just search for "7135 adapter"

Swami

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    You using the stock MP3 player on the 7135? If so, that's a pile of poo. Get Bebopper!
    Michael

Originally posted by swagner

Hmmmm. Mine arrived yesterday and after fiddling around for about 15 minutes with no sound out of my car speakers, I found to my dissapointment the plug had to be slightly out of the jack port to produce sound. Are you experiencing any of this? I'm using the HiFast transmitter. The sound is actually very impressive, I just hate the idea of the adapter plug sticking halfway out of the port.
    Last edited by Bolubo; 04-07-2005 at 04:15 AM.

Fiddled again with no luck. Anyone have any ideas on why this plug needs to be halfway out to work properly? I'm using this:

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...._ID=PPCPADPT09

Happily Converged
    Bolubo,

I think it is the wrong adaptor. Sounds like one that is not made for the 7135. Check with PPC to make sure they sent you the right one.

Swami-Rc,

I think bebopper would make a BIG difference.

Thanks Faxman !! It WAS the wrong adaptor. Looks exactly the same but only works with the Treo as it has the split mono and not true stereo.

Winning hardware combo...?

Originally posted by Bolubo
    Thanks Faxman !! It WAS the wrong adaptor. Looks exactly the same but only works with the Treo as it has the split mono and not true stereo.
    It sounds like you found the winning hardware combo. Which transmitter and adapter did you end up with?

Thanks -
    Donald

It's called the Hi-Fast transmitter. No static of any sort. Sound is crystal clear just as it is from a CD. Very pleased with it.........