+ Reply to Thread
    JCF

Trying to see a PDF Attachment on my 7135

OK, I've had my 7135 since before most of you (friend at Kyocera) and recently got around to loading it with great software, using it as a modem for my laptop, playing music. Updated the firmware - but, not as high as most of you - for some reason, it crashed on the current version, and ended up with MZ1.0.40 and SZ 1.0.29.

Anyway, I updated my email to Snappermail to be able to download attachments - BUT, I want to be able to open and read a PDF file that is received as an attachment to an email. Nothing works.

I've searched the forums, search the net - nothing.

Everything requires a conversion on a PC before opening on the 7135 (or any other palm, for that matter). If I wanted to boot up the laptop to read my email.....well, I wouldn't need a SMARTPHONE.

Anyone got a solution? Thanks!

(By the way, I've been lurking on this site forever - GREAT community - although I'm sad a lot of early adopters are moving on...what happened to the 7195?)

JC

Welcome to the forum! As to what happened with the "7195" I was hoping YOU could tell us! YOU have the friend at Kyocera!
    As to your PDF question, I'll just quote a post from Silvrdrgn a few months back...
    SnapperMail does not support reading any attachments directly within itself. It merely passes the attachment to the appropriate program on the device that has registered with the PalmOS Exchange Manager for the respective attachment type. That being said, there are no native PDF viewers that I know of except Piscel Viewer. That is only available on certain Sony Clie' devices, and it's not available for standalone purchase. I've heard rumors that the latest version of DocsToGo might support PDFs, but that software may need prior PDF file conversion too (not sure).

Alternatively, you can forward the PDF document to a specific Email address at Adobe for conversion to text or HTML depending on the address you send it to. Check the Adobe web site for more information on that.
    And Here's the Link to that post:
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...PDF#post262987
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Thanks for the re-post, MGuzzy! FYI, I work part time on the official SnapperMail support team. If you have any other questions about it, contact us at "support@snappermail.com".
    Michael

JCF

Thanks, that's perfect

OK, this worked just perfectly. It means an extra step - but, what the heck - it works without a PC, which is what we all need and want.

So, here is what I learned - for future generations of readers.

1) SnapperMail will allow you to receive a PDF Attachment - which I get all my FAX's by email using E-Fax (Great service: www.efax.com).

2) Once the PDF attachment is received - simply sent it to adobe for conversion:

This site tells how:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...linetools.html

This email address converts your FAX to Text:

pdf2txt@adobe.com

This email address converts your FAX to HTML - but, unfortunately Adobe send you the file inside a ZIP file - which creates the same problem, unless ZIP has a PALM version:

pdf2html@adobe.com

3) Adobe will return the FAX to you in either HTML or TXT format, and you can use the appropriate program on your 7135 to open the file.

Now------as for the 7195......my contact at Kyocera told me about 4 months ago that the 7135 had been all but abandoned by Verizon, but it had been picked up by carriers in Latin America. He had already abandoned his 7135 in favor of some sort of small Kyocera phone that slid open ---a slider.

What a shame - these phones are GREAT!!

oops.. I guess acrobat for palm requires some sort of conversion as well.....

Yes the Adobe for Palm involves using the Windows software it provides to convert a .PDF into a Palm .PDB.
    In every belief is a lie.