+ Reply to Thread

been gone for a year now what?

i just got back from a year overseas on a vacation with the army

been getting back into a normal life again and boy did i miss my 7135!!!

a few things :

1) i paid $600!!! for it back then now got another for free from amazon but that is good in that i now have a backup phone when i need it.

2) what is a SRCP?

3) any way cool 7135 aware apps that have come out or others which have been enabled?

4) has anybody got the new agendus working? i have 6.x working fine but the latest on their site gives me a system crash

5) got the original firmware on it should i upgrade? why?

6) what else should i know?

thanks

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I'd provide answers, but I don't have time. I believe you can find answers to all of those questions by using the "Search" function on this site.
    Michael

yup: search option will provide all your answers quickly!

2) SRCP: "Service Requried. Contact Provider." An inexplicable error message that starts to appear on some 7135s under mysterious circumstances. (My second 7135 had to be replaced for this one).

6) The 7135, while still a solid phone, appears to be pretty much unsupported at this point. I see no evidence of active development by Kyocera, and Verizon no longer sells it (altho' they appear to have refurbs in stock for replacements).

I'm torn and conflicted about whether I should take advantage of the free phone from Amazon/Verizon. I'm currently eligible for a new every two. My current 7135 is working just fine. What if I get another 7135 as a backup via new every two, and then a better phone comes along? I'm scrooged for two years if that happens. On the other hand even if a better phone does come along, it will probably take two years for it to clear Verizon's infamous quality control review.

What would you do?

well even if a new phone comes out, you won't get it for such a good price.. i mean good phones are usually $300 or more, even with 2 years contracts.

a free 7135 is still a steal, i think.

By the way, a co-worker was showing off her Treo 650 from Sprint today. Nice color! Much more vibrant than our 7135's color. But I know the 7135 is still better.

I feel your pain Jazz

I've thought alot about this recently. Because of software demands(ACT for Palm), I know I have to stay with Palm. If not I would be taking a serious look at the i730. That said, the recent news about EVDO coming out on April/May Verizon 650, has given me time to not do anything rash. I really don't want to go to a candybar, but I guess if the Kyo goes south, I know there's something to bail me out.
    As I think back, I never had a 6035, and had always been "unconverged" until the 7135. So for me, it was a major jump in technology. Because of how I use the Kyo, which is phone/PDA, and then a little email, the kyo as it is works well for me. I don't go online that much, so I don't need a faster processer. I'd like to have bluetooth for a headset, but I can wait for that.
    Overall, I'm ok with the kyo as it is, but if it fails, I think I would go for the Vz 650 when it come out.
    Mike

i cant think about another phone outside of my 7135. i like the size of the screen, buttons and the flip. all the software i have on it is very stable yes it took a little bit to find everything but now it was been very stable since i got it the first week the phone hit the market.

the new 7135 phone i just ordered from amazon i plan on keeping offline (just activating my old phone with the new plan) until i need it because my current phone dies or is lost etc.

is there room for improvment with the 7135? of course but it is the best all around PDA/phone still in my opinion.

The 7135 was the best phone of its generation -- great features, good sound, fairly stable. And in many ways, it still beats a lot of the competition. I've had two 7135s deteriorate in stability over time, but a lot of people have their Treo 650s go 'boom' almost immediately!

(To be fair, others don't, and there's no obvious pattern I've seen, which is in many ways more disturbing than a clear pattern of defect!)

I'm also very irritated by the total lack of good clamshells in the smartphone field right now. There are Windows Mobile Smartphones in clamshell form, but they're all in the smaller form factor of an 'ordinary' clamshell phone, which also means tiny screens. All the other Windows-based ones, and even the Treo, really, look more like PDAs than phones.

That said...at the moment, I'm edging toward an VX6600. I'm trying to be patient to see if the i730 or the Treo 650 make it to Verizon soon, but I don't know if I can hold out. I want better messaging capabilities -- and more screen real estate -- and I want Bluetooth.