+ Reply to Thread
    Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Unhappy My 7135 ... R.I.P. (continuous "Initial programming needed" message)

It's a sad day. My 7135 - R.I.P. (Rest in peace).

Well, last night my original 7135 that I've had for almost two years (bought in April, 2003) ceased to make or receive calls. This same thing happened last week, and nothing would bring it back to operation until I dialed the *228 number and selected option #1 (the phone activation option). After doing that, it started working again. This time around I have no such luck. When I attempt the same thing, the background music that plays while the activation is happening simply stops after about 1 minute. The call timer on the screen continues to count up seconds and the greed LED (radio indicator) stays lit, but nothing else happens. I have to power off the phone in order to stop the process, at which point it reports "Activation Failed" briefly on the screen followed by the phone powering off messages. Powering the phone back on again produces the "Initial programming needed" message. This now happens every time no matter what I attempt to do for fixing it.

So, I called Verizon last night. I walked through their usual script of troubleshooting steps with the first level CSR. Things like checking the phone roaming and other settings, followed by a backup (which I already had) and a hard reset. No help. She, the CSR, talked with the second level support while I was on hold. Then she came back on the line and connected me to the data/technical support group (third level). That guy walked me through putting the phone into programming mode. He had me re-enter my phone number in the appropriate field and the "Home SID" in the appropriate field. That was followed by tapping the "Save & Exit" button, at which point my 7135 locked up with the "Saving Parameters..." notification box on the screen.

Apparently, something in the hardware has failed on my 7135. As such, Verizon is sending me a replacement at no cost for the device. The only charge I'm incurring, at my request, is $10 to my account for expedited, overnight shipping. Because I called them late in the evening, it might not get to me today, but it should definitely by Friday. I hope I end up with a decent unit. I certainly don't need to deal with the repeated SRCP (Service Required, Contact Provider) problems that some people have been having.
    Michael

Administrator
    well its good you got them to see it screw up and that you were able to get one as soon as you say your getting it. it was time for a new (to you anyway! ) unit...

now when are you going to step up to the 21st century and get a new phone.. preferably ppc! (jus teasin')

Mike!
    Oh man! you've been duly blessed! I bought mine around the same time as you... is the writing on the wall for me as well. I think its a consipiracy, some kind of built in obsolescence. Good thing they responded with a replacement so quickly... Keep us posted if they jack around with your MOU when they activate the new ESN.
    mg

PS: BTW congrats on passing the 1000 post barrier!
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 03-31-2005 at 10:27 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    well its good you got them to see it screw up and that you were able to get one as soon as you say your getting it. it was time for a new (to you anyway! ) unit...

now when are you going to step up to the 21st century and get a new phone.. preferably ppc! (jus teasin')
    Yep, about time for a new one ... but it won't be PPC (spit!). Hehehehehe!

I'm holding out for the Treo 650 on Verizon. I don't like candy bar/brick style phones, but I have to upgrade to something in order to keep pace with the rest of my company and the world. I have a direct contact to Verizon through my company, but she just replied to my Email a few minutes ago that she does not have an E.T.A. for the Treo 650 on Verizon yet. Oh well, just have to keep waiting and hope the "new" 7135 I get holds out 'til then.
    Michael

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Mike!
    Oh man! you've been duly blessed! I bought mine around the same time as you... is the writing on the wall for me as well. I think its a consipiracy, some kind of built in obsolescence. Good thing they responded with a replacement so quickly... Keep us posted if they jack around with your MOU when they activate the new ESN.
    mg

PS: BTW congrats on passing the 1000 post barrier!
    Thanks! I will certainly keep everyone posted in this thread on how it goes with my "new" 7135.

Heck, I didn't even realize I passed 1000 posts until you mentioned it. Cool! Does that mean I need a life?
    Michael

yeeeeopa!
    that's interesting about the initial programming required.
    I just got a phone from asurion yesterday and it keeps on saying the same thing.
    and when I soft reset the device it actually does a hard reset.

when I do a *228 it locks up.
    VZW tech sent me to asurion.

asurion said that there computers were down and they would have a supervisor call me tonight (yeah right).

I guess I'll have to call tommorrow.

Re: My 7135 ... R.I.P. (continuous "Initial programming needed" message)

Mike,

Sorry to hear about the death in the family. I agree with Guzz, hang in there, and let us know how everything works out.

Breeze
    Mike

UPDATE: Replacement 7135 works, with two issues

Hey! The replacement 7135 arrived at my house at about 8:00 AM this morning via FedEx. Unfortunately, I was at work so I couldn't do anything with it until I got home. It has the bigger/longer tip on the top of the antenna.

I jumped on my land-line phone right away and called Verizon right away to remove my failed 7135 and add the replacement to my account. The CSR put the new ESN number in and told me to call *228, option #1 for the activation. That proceeded without any problem. The final thing was a make call and receive call test which both worked as well. Hung up with Verizon and restored all my data from my SD card.

Two issues:
    1) My voice tags for voice dialing are all gone. I assume this is because it's a "new to me" device, and my voice recordings for the tags are kept in the same chip internal to the phone that records voice memos. New phone = blank voice recording storage chip.
    2) Since Verizon had to rebuild my account with the new ESN, the Express Network connection no longer works for me. I was using the MOU (Minutes of Usage) that got set up automatically when I change to an America's Choice account. This was expected as Verizon has been cracking down on EN usage by PDAs that have no official data plan on the account. So, I'm back to using their slower Quick2Net service. I'm not paying Verizon's insane prices for Express Network data access. $44.95/month for unlimited data is way too high in my opinion consider what you can get it for from other services.

To sum up, I basically have to re-record all my voice tags, and I'm good to go. It's nice to be "connected" again!
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 04-01-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Michael

Yeah Mike's 7135 enabled again...
    1) Wonder why your voice tags didn't restore, they always did for me after a hard reset. Can't imagine going to a different phone would make a difference. unless there is some chip ID involved..?
    2) So are you gonna fight for your MOU? I wouldn't pay for EN either. And I don't use mine as a modem enough to warrant it.
    3) so are you going to keep you smaller antenna?
    4) Yes, passing 1000 posts means you need a life... alas that is what my wife contends.
    mg

I would have given one small piece of advice. I avoided any problems with my MOU on the faster connection by changing the ESN myself on the online system.

When I activated my phone online, I didn't have to argue with anyone about data plans and still have access to EN on MOU. However, we are probably in the same situation and only use it occassionally so the speed is not that critical or I would assume you would have been more upset.
    Sandy Wagner

Sandy
    I recall reading (I think in the i700 forum) that even an online ESN change to any smartphone now will flag the account and the MOU will dissappear without warning. Hence the source of much reported grumpiness.
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Yeah Mike's 7135 enabled again...
    1) Wonder why your voice tags didn't restore, they always did for me after a hard reset. Can't imagine going to a different phone would make a difference. unless there is some chip ID involved..?
    2) So are you gonna fight for your MOU? I wouldn't pay for EN either. And I don't use mine as a modem enough to warrant it.
    3) so are you going to keep you smaller antenna?
    4) Yes, passing 1000 posts means you need a life... alas that is what my wife contends.
    mg
    1) I believe the voice tags are somehow tied to the chip that does the voice recording in the 7135 for voice memos. Different phone = different hardware chip = no voice tags and re-recording needed.
    2) I'm not sure if it's worth fighting for EN-MOU. I typically only use my 7135 standalone. Very rarely do I connect it to my laptop. Using the 7135 standalone, I don't really see much of a speed gain. Most likely it's due to the limited CPU speed.
    3) Actually, I'm going to keep the antenna with the bigger top. It seems to give me a better digital signal at my house.
    4) I figured as much!

Actually, this replacement 7135 has another problem - it's got the random contrast changing bug. It came with the 44/29 firmware, so old firmware is not the cause. I have installed the ContrastFixer program, but it doesn't fix the problem so far. Maybe I just haven't found the right settings. What's the most recent version of the ContrastFixer program?
    Michael

I have found the contrast fixer very tricky to use, in part because the phone does not alway 'come alive' in the SAME state when you open the flip. What I actually mean by that is, the contrast fixer does not always run when you open the flip!

What I have found is that if the fixer runs, it does fix the contrast. You can tell it runs because you will definitely see the contrast flicker when it runs. When it doesn't, you just see the faded contrast

The contrast settings between 124 and 135 are the most difficult to have set by the fixer. If you set the contrast OUTSIDE that range, quite often when you open the flip, the contrast stays as it was, the fixer doesn't run, and you don't notice anything. But inside that range, it almost always fades, you occasionally open the flip, the fixer doesn't run and you just get the faded screen.

I suspect that there are different wakeup states because the backlight button behaves differently depending on what state the phone wakes up in ... sorry for the ramble.

Actually, thank you for the ramble. I'm going to try setting my install of ContrastFixer to 136 for a while to see if it will stay stable and working that way. I think the other end of the range, 123, is too washed out. Thanks!
    Michael

Setting the ContrastFixer program at 136 appears to "stick" and works great! Woo Hoo!
    Michael

You would wonder why Kyocera hasn't fixed this problem. It seems just about everyone has it.

BTW: Have you figured out if the contrast fixer actually runs everytime you open the flip? As I mentioned, mine does not. It depends on what state the phone is in when the flip is opened.

Yes, on mine, ContrastFixer runs every time I open the flip. I can see the contrast change, and the ContrastFixer quickly changes it back to the way I want it.
    Michael