+ Reply to Thread

Mobile Mail email addr "will not relay"

Here's a freaky one:

Running the Mobile Mail v3.5.5 which comes with the 7135 and I'm always able to send and recieve email messages without issue: however if I try to send to my MSN Spaces (blog) address, which has the format: "steveinternet.xxxxxxx@spaces.msn.com" and I recieve the message: "550_5.7.1 No such recipient; will not relay"

The address works, I am able to send from my laptop. My phone is set up to use my POP3 address (same as my laptop); the only thing that I can think of is that Mobile Mail cannot handle an address such as VVVV.WWWW@XXXX.YYY.ZZZ

Has anyone experienced a problem which yeilded a similar error message?

Thoughts?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Are you using your ISP's SMTP server for sending Email? If so, that's the likely problem. Most ISP's don't allow relaying of Email from computers or devices (i.e. your handheld) that are not directly connected to their network. You should change your SMTP server settings to use the SMTP server provided by your wireless/cellular carrire, if they have one.
    Michael

Re: Mobile Mail email addr "will not relay"

Originally posted by SteveRunner
    Here's a freaky one:

Running the Mobile Mail v3.5.5 which comes with the 7135 and I'm always able to send and recieve email messages without issue: however if I try to send to my MSN Spaces (blog) address, which has the format: "steveinternet.xxxxxxx@spaces.msn.com" and I recieve the message: "550_5.7.1 No such recipient; will not relay"

The address works, I am able to send from my laptop. My phone is set up to use my POP3 address (same as my laptop); the only thing that I can think of is that Mobile Mail cannot handle an address such as VVVV.WWWW@XXXX.YYY.ZZZ

Has anyone experienced a problem which yeilded a similar error message?

Thoughts?
    Usually "will not relay" means the SMTP server (the server used to send your mail) does not know who you are! Make sure that in the area where you put in your SMTP server, you make sure that you use authentication. I'm not familiar with your mail program, but it's usually labelled something like "my server requires authentication" or something like that.

Typically you need to send your POP username and password to the SMTP server. It's to prevent spammers from using the server to send out nasties.

Re: Re: Mobile Mail email addr "will not relay"

Originally posted by BroadcastDoc
    Usually "will not relay" means the SMTP server (the server used to send your mail) does not know who you are!
    That's what I thought...however I am able to send email messages, using the same account, to several other addresses in my address book. I successfully connect to my SMTP POP3 account (Mobile Mail reports that I've "established" my connection to the SMTP server, and it's only when attempting to send the message that I immediatly recieve the "error"

Sequence follows:

Server connection progress: signing on
    Sending messages:connecting to SMTP server
    established
    connecting to ISP
    connecting to SMTP server
    Sending message 1....
    550.5.7.1 No such recipient; will not relay

I do suspect that there's something about the format of the email address, which includes "." both before the "@" and after, which is causing the problem...I'll try another test to another email address with a similar format.