+ Reply to Thread

Sort of Forced Data Plan (Verizon)

Hi everyone.

The last two days, I noticed a message on my 7135 that said said "Packet Data - High Data Rate," even though I was using Verizon Quick 2 Net (#777 - QNC).

I called them and asked them why. Tech support told me that they had switched everyone to the Packet Data thing (I think he called it 1xRT or something like that).

He also told me that I was billed out of minutes for connection time BUT that I was charged by kilobyte for any attachments I received. He said regular e-mail or browsing did not cost me anything but minutes but an e-mail with an attachement cost me per KB. This, he said, is a pay-as-you-go plan.

He also told me that I could be switched so that my plan was completely minutes only and that I was not charged for an kb. Just for time online.

Does this sound like a bunch of hooey to you?

Thanks in advance.
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.

As of this posting, mine still says "Standard Data Rate"

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

Re: Sort of Forced Data Plan (Verizon)

Originally posted by 4ster
    He also told me that I was billed out of minutes for connection time BUT that I was charged by kilobyte for any attachments I received. He said regular e-mail or browsing did not cost me anything but minutes but an e-mail with an attachement cost me per KB. This, he said, is a pay-as-you-go plan.
    That's BS! There's no way they can tell the difference between regular Email and attachments unless they are sniffing your data connection 100% of the time. That would be a serious privacy violation. As long as you are getting the High Data Rate message, be happy with it.
    Michael

The guy actually told me he would call me after a week of trying things out and see if I wanted him to make any modifications to my plan. I am going to tell him to take all of that pay-as-you-go kilobyte stuff off.

Why on earth would I pay for minutes and kilobytes when I can just pay for minutes?
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Re: Re: Sort of Forced Data Plan (Verizon)

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    That's BS! There's no way they can tell the difference between regular Email and attachments unless they are sniffing your data connection 100% of the time. That would be a serious privacy violation. As long as you are getting the High Data Rate message, be happy with it.
    That's true, they can't tell. On the "pay as you go" plan you are simply charged by the kilobyte - attachment or not.

-Quick

I find this thread interesting, as I was told I was on the pay as you go, kb plan... and I have yet to see a charge for kb usage. What gives? Its been almost 3 months! Knowing verizon, they will sock it to me at some point....

They can handle attachments differently if you use their email server.

ah yet another variation on the "let's charge you for data somehow" story... don't ya love it!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I am completely sick and tired of the fact that after numerous calls and e-mails, I cannot find two Verizon employees who can give me answers to this that are within a million miles of each other. I am also furious over the fact that this mysteriously happens just over two weeks after I sign a new contract.

How on earth can they start charging you for something without telling you?
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Originally posted by 4ster
    I am completely sick and tired of the fact that after numerous calls and e-mails, I cannot find two Verizon employees who can give me answers to this that are within a million miles of each other. I am also furious over the fact that this mysteriously happens just over two weeks after I sign a new contract.

How on earth can they start charging you for something without telling you?
    Read your contract/plan, terms of use, and the plan material. I think you'll find it's in there. They just never used to charge for it but are transitioning to it.

-Quick

That is the problem. When I ask Verizon about specific terms in my plan, I cannot get anyone on their end to agree to what my contract means.

My guess is that, if the thread is true that they are not activating any more 7135s, then the only smartphones that are left on their network are ones that (I think) have always required a data plan, so I guess one way or another, every Verizon pdaphone will have a data plan in the near future.
    Gloria in excelsis Deo.