+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alltel

Alltel

Alltel sells the 7135, but says that its data service will not support this phone. They think their data service is only for PC's. Is anyone using Alltel for web access with the 7135?

Yes i am....just use qnc. It works perfect.

That's what I thought. Are you utilizing Axcess MobileLink unlimited data for $69.99/mth?

You don't need Axcess. That's the whole point of having the 7135. It's web ready! I have been on Alltel with my 7135 since 3/03. I have the same plan I had when I had my V60c. I set up a new network entry on my 7135 that dials my dial up ISP and goes through their server just like I would on a PC. Works great and doesn't cost extra!
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Great, but how's speed?

Slow to adequate. Alltel doesn't have a fast option. For that you need to be with VZW and that will cost you your first born male child!!!

If you want fast.....use your PC/Mac.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

i agree...slow but adequate. I only use it to check email and weather. There are still quite a few sites that have a pda option for their website. I don't know of many but i know they are out there. Can't think of much else i would use on the internet that my 7135 could process fast enough. I can't say i have ever used hi speed access but with the 33mhz processor it still takes a few for images to load so i just keep my internet usage to what is nessasary. And hey it's free! well besides your minutes....but that's worth it for me! But out of curiosity do you get better speeds using a dial-up isp? I haven't tried it yet but if it's worth the time i might.

skyshadow - I've never used qnc so I can't give you an answer.

so if i use this nights and week ends im ok
    and what browser do you use eudora web or web

I use endora but i know i have heard of a few replacement browsers out there.

I set up my dial up connection in less than 30 minutes today. The EIS browser works great, and the speed is not too bad. I have a web based e-mail service for work and they now support a separate web site just for smart phones. So now, my e-mail goes where I go! Check out norada.com.

So, do I understand correctly that I should be able to check e-mail, etc. with the qnc network setting without having to pay the $5.99 per month for Alltel's web service?

Originally posted by caramanis
    So, do I understand correctly that I should be able to check e-mail, etc. with the qnc network setting without having to pay the $5.99 per month for Alltel's web service?
    Yes. The web service is for phones with wap capabilities. The 7135 does have wap capabilities but it also has dial-up capabilities which allows you to use the web without paying the 5.99. Trust me. Call alltel and get it taken off your plan if you have it. You seriously don't need it.

Great! Thank you.

I'm bumping this old thread, rather than creating a new one. Above it says that you don't need any sort of data plan to use the 7135 as a modem. So I have a couple questions:

1. Is it still true today? I just got the phone and service yesterday.
    2. Does this also apply to the qnc/#777 service too?

The reason I ask is because yesterday I used it to connect to a different ISP via my computer and it worked just fine. Slow, but it worked.

Tonight I tried the same thing and it connects, very briefly, then disconnects. Using Hyperterminal reveals that I am indeed connecting to the service, but even before I can enter my username/password, I get a NO CARRIER.

Is this just a crappy signal or did Alltel change something? I'm under the impression this should work, even without a data plan.

This isn't something I plan on using much, but it might be handy in a pinch and I'd like to know if it is supposed to work.

Edit: I just tried it again using the phone itself, and after half a dozen tries it actually worked. So maybe the digital coverage here just isn't so good? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Saturn49; 12-02-2005 at 01:24 AM.

i no long have a 7135 but when i had one i used the dail up setting that came with my dsl for home and it would work great for checking movie times or emails when in remote area i dont remeber wheather or not it used digital service but yes it is slow very slow but so is the data service from alltel i now have a pocket pc with a wifi card and it slow as well but faster then the dail up. the pdas dont have the power for speed like a computer. but is ok for quick things

good luck let me know if i can help

I think Kyoarch got misleading information from Alltel (nothing new about that). The slower broadband service (Axcess Mobile) offered by Alltel works on both cellphones and PCs. However, the fast version (Axcess Broadband) works only on PCs. While the 40-70 kbps provided by Axcess Mobile is not really great, it is faster than the 14.4 kbps you will get with QNC. Axcess Mobile should work fine on the 7135. The problem I have with these services is that the the National Unlimited version costs $80/month (that would be the first-born child Krazman referred to). The reasonable version ($8/month) only provides 2MB of data which is essentially useless. Until the cellphone services make useful broadband service considerably less costly, I, like many others, will stick with QNC. Also, skyshadow is correct in that you don't need Mobile Web ($6/month) to access the internet.

I have shared my connection settings in more than 1 thread, so if anyone is having probs using EIS to access the web, do a search (Alltel in the subject/heading) and check your settings against mine.
    Alltel offers QNC connection - the oldest data connection & used by most cell phones on their text-only web browser - 14.4K
    They rolled out 1X (Mobilink) about 2 years ago, and its usually 2-3X faster than dial-up if you tether to a PC, but the 33MHz processor in the phone bottlenecks the download & you barely get anything better than QNC (I used it extensively when I had it to DEMO 9/04-4/05 - it caused more freezes than QNC does when you view the web on-screen not thru the PC)
    They now offer EV-DO (Axcess Broadband) which is 300-500K, but the 7135 is not capable, though the new 6700 & 650 and the RAZR are capable, but possibly not to tether to the PC, and the RAZR will have the lame-o watered-down web via Mobile Web, not the real web, like the Smartphones can do. Prob is, EV-DO is not avail everywhere yet - even Verizon hasn't covered all metro areas under 3 million yet! And they have had it out almost a year.

NOTE: QNC uses airtime, while 1X & EVDO are separate data products requiring a package and bill by the KB, regardless of who your CDMA carrier is. (xcpt for the original 7135 early-adopters in this forum who are getting 1X as plan minutes - but Verizon wants them off that billing!!!)
    Last edited by thaxman; 12-02-2005 at 01:12 PM.