+ Reply to Thread

OT: Lost phone recovery story

I had an extended out of [signal range] leave so I left my phone in custody of a friend to use freely. Apparently she left the phone behind somewhere and had spent the next day backtracking to make sure it was lost. Finally writing it off as lost, I was notified.

I called the phone and some dude answered "Hello".. I'm picturing someone sitting in a local mall food court, feet up, kicking back sporting his new cell phone.. I said, "How about making arrangements for returning the 'reported stollen' phone". He hung up.

I called again (no hello this time). "Btw, thanks for answering. Now we know where you are. Gotta love GPS". The phone disconnects and was presumably turned off or smashed.. no more rings.. just straight to voice mail.

About 3 hours later I recieved a (forwarded) phone call. (either recent call or redial). Different younger lad, said he found the phone. After a breif discussion about how much the reward was, I bluffed "It doesn't matter how much, the phone is locked and reported stollen. Do you really want to be holding stollen property that happens to have locating capabilities?" Arrangements to pick it up were made immediately afterward.

When 'someone' turned it on they may have noticed my programmed banner screen. I made a banner graphic that says, "THIS PHONE IS REPORTED STOLLEN.
    REWARD IF FOUND. PROSECUTION IF STOLLEN.
    DO NOT PROGRAM. CALL AUTHORITIES AT <personal number>" which of course would stilll display even if the master reset were pushed.

My phone was recovered after it was notably reset, the phone book and contents wiped out. I told my GF to give the punky $40 and tell him to bugger off.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    Interesting, and funny...but you might have more luck with that banner screen looking real if you spell stolen correctly (grin). An educated thief would know right off the bat it was something self programmed from the words improperly spelled.

A "stollen" is: a rich yeast bread containing raisins, citron, and chopped nutmeats.

So I don't think that is what you mean. (smile)....

bah. I hate spel chuckers.

actually i did get it right. I had a card in front of me about pollen counts. No idea why it's there but I must have drawn off of it. Working graveyard shift does take a toll on you after 20+ (self inflicted) years, ya know?

it was a newb thing to do but it worked to my surprise as well.

While we are here ( not that the phone loss warranted dialing 911 or even bothering the police ) is there any count of police agencies that have implemented the tower based GPS or if it has been started at all'?

Per the Verizon site, it would be installed when the agencies show an interest in it. I believe here in CA all cell based emergency calls route to CHP. I would think they would have an interest in it.

Having the locator capabilities would benefit in many ways. In this case, somehow having your phone call and report in. Well, no more calling your phone and listening for that familiar ring at least. When I visited the UK I discovered they had it working. complete with d/l-able maps. That was espeically helpful being I had no idea where I was half of the time.

Didn't they advertise the new feature at one time?

[dammit. you have me checking my spelling. that took my 75WPM typing down to 20WPM. pick on my grammar now =]

Hey Devo...
    That brings up a grate tip for the Baner.. grate storee.. but if my gril freind lost my fone, I think she wood be an x-gril freind! err umm Kelly cud yu chek my speling too.... ;D
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    LOL. Sorry to be a pest. Old editing habits die hard. I do graveyard shift too and also for (almost) 20 years...maybe we've slept together at our desks somewhere along the line (grin).

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    @ Devo-san,
    How did you manage to make the banner that long? How did it display even after a reset / data wipe ?
    Michael

He musta "jack flashed" it
    mg

He meant he changed the carrier logo.

Give Devo a break. [first spelling checks now someone gets me on my terminology. You ppl are rough on newb posters]

It was that much harder trying to 'draw' all the text so that it would display properly.

MG: I don't know Jack.

Although it (surprisingly) worked, I took the opportunity of a wiped 7135 to change the logo to reflect other useless purposes. I figured it worked once so quit while I'm behind; or the next time I do not want it recovered (I'm having various probs I'll post about later)..

Ah Jack flash is a utility that allows one to modify the prgrams that are in the palm's ROM as opposed to the RAM. Hence any programs you load in ROM will still be there after a hard reset, that is one that wipes out all the data.
    What interests us is that if you used the procedure to create a new carrier logo that is posted on the site, it should have been wiped out by a hard reset. How did you do yours?

Also we didn't mean to be so hard on you.. with a name like Devo-San we figured you could take it...
    BTW welcome to the site if you've not be so properly welcomed!

Please people, get some StuffBak labels. They are small and work VERY well. I have them on a lot of my gadgets, keychain, etc.
    www.StuffBak.com

Very cool story though.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Also we didn't mean to be so hard on you.. with a name like Devo-San we figured you could take it...
    Nah! I didn't feel a thing! Your first assessment was correct-a-mundo. I do appreciate the welcome though. Thanks. I feel impo-tant now.

I didn't know about Jack Flash.. I thought I was making a funny about knowing Jack Schi... you know who.

...and I think between your last reply and another thread, you may have helped lead thoughts to a fix or work around.

To answer obscurely I flashed the 7135 in a non-conventional way. (In short the h/w not s/w way - I'll explain later) Given my flash method and if by "hard reset" you mean resetting the phone by pushing the reset button under the batt cover... this gets very interesting indeed =). Hitting the reset button does not clear my logo screen so you are saying I (unknowingly) loaded it into the ROM(?) which is where I found the previous logo?. K, I�m on it�. [must do some testing related to the other thread]

Stay tuned. I will report in the morning with a solution or more questions (as long as I don't go head first into the keyboard like Kerry mentioned us graveyard shifters are often 'suspected' of doing)

Much Thanks ag�in

Originally posted by Markito
    Please people, get some StuffBak labels. They are small and work VERY well. I have them on a lot of my gadgets, keychain, etc.
    www.StuffBak.com

Very cool story though.
    Will they work on lost sock pairs or the TV clicker?
    mg

Originally posted by Devo-san
    ... "hard reset" you mean resetting the phone by pushing the reset button under the batt cover... this gets very interesting indeed =). Hitting the reset button does not clear my logo screen ...
    hitting the reset butting under the battery cover is a soft reset. Your data should be retained... a hard resets completely wipes the phone and returns it to the state with just the provided programs. .. that is done by holding the backlight key while pressing in the reset button in the back and then confirming a hard reset prompt.
    mg