+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up SRCP; Just got a new 7135 from Verizon Ordered

My phone has been acting up for weeks. I have seen the "Service Required. Contact Provider." screen of death a few times, but managed to hard reset it away. Today it was fatal.

Called *611 on my wife's phone. Spent an hour playing dumb, got transfered to another higher tech. Another hour playing dumb. Got transferred to "Wireless Data Technical Service" 800 788-9387. I was on hold for 30 minutes to get an answer.

Once they answered I didn't need to tell the entire story, just that I had SRCP, done a bunch of re-sets, and mentioned that I'd already spent a couple hours on hold listening to the Verizon theme song. In less than 2 minutes he set up a phone swap, and my brand new 7135 is in the mail.

The funny part is that I bought my phone directly from Kyocera BEFORE any of you got yours...friend of a friend thing. Paid $200 bucks when the original guys were paying a lot more. Anyway, obviously the phone had no warranty, and no original connection with Verizon. Verizon is sending me a new phone just the same.

Now THAT is cool.

Moral of the story. Skip customer service, call the above number first, and you'll be done in a flash.

Good for you mate, but...um it's probably called insurance... how long have you had the phone? / service paying $$ a month for replacement coverage? it's about 60$ a year. So even if you've been paying insurance on your account for only 2 years that's about 120$ you've paid in by now. add that to your original 200$ and I'd say your still out some $$$.

I don't pay insurance and I bought 2 brand new phones 1 in service and one not ( my own replacement ) I paid total 218$ for both. I won't be paying monthly.

If you don't have insurance and you are not paying great! or if you are NOT even on the plan that allows a new phone every 18 months I'd say woohoo - but if You've been paying them 60$ a year for more than 2 years. all they did was toss you another leaky boat - that you'll be paying another 5$ next month. Verizon knows this, so it no big deal tossing you another phone that will die/ they'll stop supporting etc. they've already been paid for that phone and your next one. We all paid for that phone - because alot of us never ever even use insurance - we upgrade first HEH!

New ones for 100$ on ebay -

Enjoy your new replacement! thanks for the NUMBER!!!
    A cat almost always blinks... When struck in the head with a hammer.

Yes, for those that buy insurance, the phone is not free. Verizon won't insure me - I broke two StarTacs, and the insurance carrier said "no mas" (no more). So, the phone really is 100% free.

I just hope I really get a 7135 and not a Treo 600 - but the guy at the number said it would be a 7135.

If it lasts 3 years like my last one, I'll be very happy. By then, there may be something better. As it is - even with the problems, I prefer my 7135 to everything out there EXCEPT the Razr - that phone just LOOKS HOT! (But, of course, it won't work on Verizon's network.)

Thumbs down Got Screwed - they sent a Treo 600/No Camera

Tech guy lied - they sent a Treo 600 - an no camera on the phone either.

I'm torn between getting a new 7135 from my buddy at Kyocera, or give the Treo a try.

Anyone have a thought?

the treo is 20 times better than the 7135.

give it ONE week and decide...

Based on my initial impressions, and unbiased opinion of both (I haven't used either one as my primary device), the Treo 600 is WAY better. Everything about it appears greatly improved over the 7135. As I said, I haven't actually used either, that is just the initial impression I got when setting them up for my wife.
    Device: HTC Touch
    Accessories: Aliph Jawbone, 6GB Sandisk microSDHC, Leadtek 9537 BT GPS
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com

Re: Got Screwed - they sent a Treo 600/No Camera

Originally posted by jcarlosfox

I'm torn between getting a new 7135 from my buddy at Kyocera, or give the Treo a try.

Anyone have a thought?
    Does your "buddy at Kyocera" have any info on a follow-on to the 7135.......it's about time?!?!

Hopefully OS5 or 6 with FAST CPU, clamshell format, lots of memory, hi-res screen, optional camera (DoD/Gov work-can't have camera), built in Bluetooth/WiFi, etc.........

Even though old, the 7135 package fits my needs/preferences more than Treo 600/650, but wishing for an upgraded phone.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

I think it is a conspiracy. There must be big $$$ in the LCD screen replacement business. I am suffering for a replacement that will be as reliable as my trusty clamshell 7135 - with the new features of the Treo 650. Oh - and to make this dream even more impossible to come true - on Verizon. argh.

Re: Got Screwed - they sent a Treo 600/No Camera

Originally posted by jcarlosfox

Anyone have a thought?

Same thing here, sent me a Treo instead of a 7135. I'm going to try the treo, most of the folks who have switched, seem to be happy. I can't stand the non clamshell factor, we'll see.

It's only been two days.

treo speed is good, on board "Contacts" App is annoying.
    Life with that QWERTY keyboard might not work out.
    Last edited by kwyjibo3; 04-21-2005 at 04:14 PM.

guess that means the phone on its way to me is a Treo then huh? The nice lady at Data support gave me every impression that it would be another 7135. Good news is, mine isnt really dead. I have been having 'sticky' # keys, and my backup battery is shot so I suffer the hard reset on battery change. I figured I would take a shot at getting it replaced before I might not have any luck getting a 7135. I suppose I will have to do a little trial on the treo and see what I think. It sounds great, just wish they made it in a clamshell format. That would be about the perfect world.....