+ Reply to Thread

Question More SnapperMail help needed

I am using the SnapperMail trial. So far, it seems to be a great piece of software, but I am at a standstill. I set up two accounts: one Pop3 accout that is for my personal email account. The other is for my work email. The work email is a Lotus Notes / IMAP4 account. The Pop3 account works great - I can send and recieve just fine. The problem is the IMAP account. I have been working with our IT group and they claim the server name, password, and port number is all correct, but I still cannot log on. I can send email out (since it does not go out on the IMAP account). The error message when I try to send and recieve says something like "Timeout - failed to connect to servername.com" Anybody have any ideas?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    SnapperMail requires a direct connection to the server on the port respective to the protocol that you are using. Since you cannot connect to the IMAP port of your corporate server, my guess is that it is blocked by a firewall. If that's the case, SnapperMail won't be able to make the connection unless your IT guys open up the appropriate port for IMAP access on the firewall.

You can get some additional help by generating a diagnostic log in SnapperMail, and then send it to "support@snappermail.com". The diagnostic log instructions are located here -

http://www.snappermail.com/support/#12
    Michael

I need some help and don't know where else to turn.
    I have been in contact with SnapperMail and my IT group. My IT people say that I need an IP address to be able to access our work servers. They are an IMAP/Lotus Notes type server. They will not open a port, for security reasons, but they will write a rule for the firewall and they claim they need an IP address to do that. I have contacted Verizon and Snapper and they both claim that they do not use an IP address to communicate to the IMAP server. What exactly do I need for our IT group? Could it be the SMTP address from Verizon? That would be smtp.vzwmail.net. Is this the IP address needed for the firewall rule?

BTW SilvrDrgn - I used the SnapperMail bug report you mentioned. Thanks for getting me started with this.
    Last edited by Ken7; 04-20-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    You most definitely need to have an IP address. In fact, you automatically get one every time you make a data connection to the Verizon Wireless network. Unfortunately, your IT staff probably needs a static IP address that never changes. Verizon Wireless provides you with a dynamic address that can change. If it changes, then the rule that you IT staff sets up will not work any more. It's a catch-22. In this case, I think you are going to be out of luck.
    Michael