+ Reply to Thread

Can't view pics on external SD256U

I'm having trouble with the MGI PhotoSuite Mobile Organizer software that came on the 7135 application CD. I'm able to download pictures (via HotSync) to internal memory and view them, but not when they are on the external SD card. I have a SANDisk 256MB MultiMedia card, SD256U. Even when I use FileManager to move the files to the external memory, neither PhotoSuite or PhotoView finds them as viewable files (though FileManager reveals they are there). Any suggestions?

Suggestion: get AcidImage (my preference) or SplashPhoto (also good). PhotoSuite is, as SilvrDrgn described it, "a pile of poo." I couldn't agree more.

yes...poo it is. But if you must use Photosuite the pdb images need to be in the \Palm\Launcher folder on the SD card. then you tap the Icon at the top to display the photos on the card.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

It's slow, but you can also install from the PhotoSuite desktop via hotsync, just click the external memory option when it asks what user to send the pictures to...

JohnA

Thanks, McGuzzy. I missed the obvious until your post: I never did "tap the Icon" that toggles from the PDA icon to the SD card icon. So all is well-- thanks everybody.

pdapada maybe you can provide a sanity check. I've found with multiple SD cards, when you try to load pics from the SD card it takes MUCH longer (5 minutes sometimes more) than from internal memory.

I'm in the habit of keeping most of my pics on the SD card, using file manager to move the one I want to look at to internal memory and then loading PhotoSuite.

Do you see a big difference?

Thanks.
    In every belief is a lie.

Yes, I've noticed the long delay as well. I believe it has to do with the number of files it's searching thru and also processor speed limitations. But I've also seen posts about other software viewers that are much faster, so it must have at least part to blame with the software. Do a search for jpg viewing or viewers to find the other softwares members have recommended, good luck,

JohnA

apressman, here is your sanity check: I only have 5 JPG pictures on the SD card at the moment, 4 pics 36k ea., the biggest picture being 58K. While it takes 4 seconds to prepare the PhotoSuite list of 5 pictures, after I select a picture, it only takes a split-second from the time I tap OK for that picture to display. Are you and JohnA talking about the time it takes to display the list of what is on the card, or are you talking about the time it takes to display the photo after selecting a pic and tapping OK? If you DO mean the latter, maybe you need to free up some more internal memory to give the app & OS room to manage swapping, and maybe your pictures are bigger files, or a non-JPG file type that requires more processing. Some Kyocera, Palm OS or PhotoSuite knowledgeable geek needs to chime in here, as I'm totally guessing.

If you have a large number of files in the photo directory, it takes a looonnngg time to read and sort the directory. Same thing happens in other apps - FileManager, Kinoma, MP3 player, etc. An apparent limitation of the file system on the Palm, since it is a recurring theme in all applications I've tested. Additionally, once you select an AcidImage file to load, it can take a long time to load it into memory.

By the way, PhotoSuite is awful. You have to convert your pictures (jpegs or whatever) to PhotoSuites proprietary format before transferring them (via hotsync) to the Kyo at a glacial pace. You get your choice of exactly 3 file sizes - small, medium, large. AcidImage, Splashphoto and others will display jpegs, bmps, tiffs, etc. directly in whatever size you have. Just transfer them to a folder on your SD card, and you can read them directly. Jpegs are best if you want small file sizes, bmps are best if you want them to load quickly into memory.

AcidImage can actually load HUGE jpegs (several megs!) though it takes several minutes to do so. Once loaded, you can zoom and pan the image VERY quickly. Quite impressive considering the limited processing power of the Kyo. This feature of loading large jpegs is very useful for storing (for example) large map files, where you don't want to store a smaller, low-resolution image that you can't zoom in.

pdapada,

I was just talking about creating the list/loading photosuite. I've got 100+ images and it takes several minutes to load photosuite. Once it's up and running I have no problems with switching images or slideshow or anything, it just takes so long to load. I don't know for sure, but I think there's a close relationship between how many files you're loading and how long it takes to load them/create the list.

JohnA