+ Reply to Thread

New 7135 -- Syncing deleted all categories

That's it. I sync habitually (had a 6035) with both office and home computers. When I synced the new 7135 with the home computer, I got pretty satisfactory service. Some surprises, but generally OK.

When I tried again with the office computer, I happened to look at the log and found that all my custom categories had been deleted from the address book. Without asking!

Now. Is there a way to get them back, because I had several hundred entries, all categorized, and I just don't want to think about remembering each one.

Thanks in advance.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

That just happened to me as well yesterday (and I seem to remember it happening before, although it was a long time ago). I am pretty sure that it is a bug during the first sync. After I re-catagorized my contact (none of them were deleted, just moved to the default catagories) I synced again and it works fine.

The easiest way to put them all back is to use the palm Desktop software. Go to the address book, and select a single category, then just go down the list and hit the drop down menu to move over to the new catagory.

Oh well... one of those slight pains we have to deal with.

FG

Originally posted by Lordmundi

The easiest way to put them all back is to use the palm Desktop software. Go to the address book, and select a single category, then just go down the list and hit the drop down menu to move over to the new catagory.

FG
    Lordmundi,

Thanks for replying. It just happened again. NOT the initial sync, which I had suspected you were right about.

I can't do what you suggest, because the categories are all gone. Are you saying that the easiest thing is to remember all the categories I once had (I was maxed out), then remember which category each contact was in? We're talking about 197 records, not all of which I can remember? Not that easy, and certainly not what makes computers "time-savers" for us all. The opposite, in fact.

What I did before was to make sure that the desktop overrode the handheld, and synced with my home computer. That took care of the problem until I came to work this morning. Here's what hppened here:

1. I had all categories reinstalled on my handheld through sync with my home computer.

2. On arriving @ the office, I made sure that the sync options were set for "Sync the devices," thinking that the OS wouldn't be so bold as to delete existing categories, but this was the case.

So I can still re-sync and collect the categories, once I arrive home, but still have the problem with my office computer sort of "taking over" things. Wonder if anyone has seen this and knows what to do about it?
    Don Cook

Originally posted by Lordmundi
    That just happened to me as well yesterday (and I seem to remember it happening before, although it was a long time ago). I am pretty sure that it is a bug during the first sync. After I re-catagorized my contact (none of them were deleted, just moved to the default catagories) I synced again and it works fine.

FG
    Lordmundi,

What I finally did, because I had a good copy on my home computer, and a bad one on the office one, was to sync with home and then, when syncing with the office, changed to "Handheld overwrites desktop" in the Address Book.

May have lost an entry or two, but what the hey? It works.

BTW, had to delete & reinstall the desktop, also.
    Don Cook