+ Reply to Thread

No connections at all!

I am feeling quite isolated just now.

Can't use any internet apps, such as Directory Assistant or Mapquest or Eudora Web or Browser. Nor can I connect to the desktop with the Downloader app. Although I can sync with the desktop.

Where are the settings to make all this go away?

Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

the best idea would be to do a hard reset. do not restore your settings and see if it works. than retore your files and see if it stops working again. if that is the issue. you installed a bad app.
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]

Originally posted by ironsoulreaver
    the best idea would be to do a hard reset. do not restore your settings and see if it works. than retore your files and see if it stops working again. if that is the issue. you installed a bad app.
    Thanks for replying.

Let's see, a "hard reset" on my 6035 was one where I held the reset button down for a few seconds, right? On the 7135?
    Don Cook

sombody else should answer that question. i am still waiting for my phone to arrive. i only know alot about this crash issues with palm os software because ive purchased about 7 palm pilots, from palm, to sony, to HP. the most common issue is the software you install..

but as far as how to hard reset the 7135. i dont know. on all palm systems i have owned. it was a pinhole button on the back. it erases all memory. so it starts the system over.

you should beable to read up on it in your user manual if nobody on here replies

I'd try the following:

BACKUP YOUR INFO FIRST!

1) Shut down the phone part. Then close the clamshell and yank the battery. Put it back in after about 10 seconds. This should soft reset the phone. For some reason, removing the battery fixes some things that a regular (stick the stylus in the hole) soft reset does not fix.

2) If this does not fix your problem, try a hard reset: remove the battery cover. Stick the stylus in the reset hole while holding down the backlight button. When the Palm logo appears, release the backlight button. A dialog asking you if you want to erase your data will appear. Press the "up" button to erase the data and complete the hard reset.

Hope this helps!
    -BB

Originally posted by BiliBug
    I'd try the following:

BACKUP YOUR INFO FIRST!

1) Shut down the phone part. Then close the clamshell and yank the battery. Put it back in after about 10 seconds. This should soft reset the phone. For some reason, removing the battery fixes some things that a regular (stick the stylus in the hole) soft reset does not fix.

Hope this helps!
    -BB
    Number 1 helped, seemingly. I can now connect w/ internet, @ least with Directory Assistant. Haven't tried with, e.g., Mapquest or Browser. We'll see.

BUT. Still don't seem to connect with the desktop through the Downloader. Any ideas? Do I have to have some data ready on the desktop before I can connect?

Thanks.
    Don Cook

Semi-Converged
    Don I haven't managed to connect thorugh Downloader either. I have had mine (6035 replacement) for about 2 months.

Originally posted by mbirgen
    Don I haven't managed to connect thorugh Downloader either. I have had mine (6035 replacement) for about 2 months.
    Hm. Sorta makes a man wonder why we have it, doesn't it?
    Don Cook

Semi-Converged
    Well, it is still smaller than the 6035, easier to charge, etc.

From the discussion board, I don't think many peop[le use Downloader because they just slip their SD card in the USB reader and load up that way. Unfortunately, *I* trashed my card that way - Phone doesn't recognize it anymore. I will probably break down and get another card plus reader when the next check comes in the mail.

Can you connect to the internet yet? I have figured out that Verizon Free-Up blocks data calls, so no-go.

Originally posted by mbirgen
    Well, it is still smaller than the 6035, easier to charge, etc.
    I mean the Downloader, not the phone. The phone is hot.
    From the discussion board, I don't think many peop[le use Downloader because they just slip their SD card in the USB reader and load up that way. Unfortunately, *I* trashed my card that way - Phone doesn't recognize it anymore. I will probably break down and get another card plus reader when the next check comes in the mail.
    I'm not even sure what the downloader is, unless it downloads music.

Can you connect to the internet yet? I have figured out that Verizon Free-Up blocks data calls, so no-go.
    I connected to Directory Assistant successfully yesterday. Haven't tried anything else so far.

Is DA as unstable with the 7135 as it became in the 6035 days, once the old service wasn't available any more? I always liked it, even paid for it, but toward the end it hardly worked in my phone. Now?
    Don Cook

Semi-Converged
    Yeah, the downloader is a way to get mp3 files from your computer to your phone. Aparently, one of the least-recommended ways to do so.

mbirgen,

I can connect using DA, but Mapquest is a loser. Error is (misspelled) Nonexistant DNS name (Net 123E)

Rats.
    Don Cook

The downloader sucks, most people don't even try to use it.

One tip is to make sure you format your SD cards in the phone. I think you do it in the file manager app. Been so long since I had to format one since I've never had a problem with them or card readers.

Nick.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Semi-Converged
    The long story is that
    1. I did format the card in the phone. It was working great until I tried to put mp3's onto it directly.
    2. You use the Card Info app to (re-)format SD cards, but mine either tells me "The handheld cannot recognize this card." or it says it is a SanDisk card ID SanDisk_00000000000000P, and when I try to format, it tells me the card is read only (and yes, I checked the "slider lock" is in the right position).

If you check the archives, you will see that this happened to several other people, who just eventually bought new cards.