+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 7135 to Treo 600 story (A MUST read for verizon users)

I have been reading these forums for years now but never really felt that I needed to join... till now. The main reason i joined was so i could tell my story.

The title:
    How to kinda screw over Verizon when they will only replace your broke 7135 with a Treo 600 and try to screw you.

Who this applies to:
    Those with a 7135 and Verizon's warranty/insurance plan.

I loved my 7135. I will miss it dearly. But alas, the headset would only play static, and when the phone would try to ring, the ring was also weak static. Funny thing is that most of the other tones were fine, just ring tones and flip tones were a problem. Yes, even the built-in ones were affected. After many soft, hard, and verizon ultimate resets, it could not be resolved. They only option is to deal with a cripled phone, or get a brand new Treo 600. Reluctantly, i got the Treo 600

Cut scene.

Treo arrives. I do not want to activate it yet as i want to put my programs on, get my data on there, make it feel a little more like my phone. I noticed that there was no network setup under the Network preferences. I had read stories about not being able to configure this feature on the treo's, but mine was unlocked. So i copied my Quick 2 Net settings in here just in case Verizon didn't provide them so i could use my phone minutes for data and not buy a data plan.

So, i call Verizon. When they are about to activate my phone,
    "You need to have a data plan."
    I said i didn't want one. They told me i needed one because:
    "You device is a palm pilot before it is a phone. Therfore, you need a data plan. "
    This makes no sense. A palm pilot on its own does no such thing like connecting to the internet with out its phone component. I asked about using the Quick 2 Net option, they said that no, you can't use that anymore cause it sucks up bandwidth that they need to pay for. Fine. Whatever. At least they let me choose the pay by the minute plan. ($0.015 cents per k, no monthly fee if you don't use it)

After i get off the phone with Verizon, i look back in the Network part of the phone. The Network preferences are now locked. I cannot add more, or change the Verizon one that is now there after activation. BUT the Quick 2 Net option that i manually typed in earlier is still there AND USEABLE!

IMPORTANT!!!
    The moral of the story is that if you are with Verizon and they replace your phone with a Treo 600, program in Quick 2 Net before you activate your phone or you will no longer be able to use Quick 2 Net!

(EDIT: Apparently, i was totally wrong. You can actually add a service using the menu. I totally overlooked this. Verizon isn't as evil as i thought. Opps...)

And to sweeten the deal, my new after 2 plan is done in December. What i can do then is get the $100 off a new phone with the plan, and then sell my Tero which will have then only used for less than a year on ebay and get like 200+ bucks for it.

Either that, or go with another company like sprint that does not make you pay extra for data.

So that is my story.

PS Anyone need a official "Verizon" car charger with a lifetime warranty?
    Last edited by epor; 04-28-2005 at 11:18 AM.

mmhh.. all this looks perfectly normal to me.
    create a new network connection with q2n settings and that s about it..

how do you like your T600 so far?

Semi-Converged
    Hey, epor - e-mail me about your charger. I might be able to de-clutter your life a bit.
    mariahbirgen@yahoo.com

do you need batteries too (in package, never used)?

I could use 7135 batteries
    There are no strangers; only friends we haven't met.

Car Charger w/handsfree

Sure could use the handsfree car charger. Mine got stolen out of my PU along with some ski gear. If anyone else has one, I would like to purchase it. Please reply ASAP. r3

I also have 2 7135 stereo adapters to listen to mp3s if you re interested

Btw, i was totally wrong about them locking the services. I totally overlooked that you could add a new service in the menu. Opps...

But i can still screw Verizon by selling that phone when my plan is up

Actually, i am not that happy with it. The sound quality isn't as good. It is tough understanding people sometimes, even with a headset. People say i sound fuzzy when i am talking without a headset, but sound ok with one.

Missing Features:
    1) voice dialing (you need 3rd party programs and they don't work that well)
    2) easy access display at the top of the phone (when you want to look at the time when it is still in its holster)
    3) MP3 quality ringtones (you need 3rd party programs, and they don't work that well)
    4) StarTrek Flip capabilities. (i love flip phones)
    5) Cradle (sold separately)
    6) Decent Holster. (I got a metal case for mine, but just not as good as the OEM 7135 holster)
    7) Replaceable batteries (unless you take it apart)
    The phone interface is awkward (It won't let me stay on other programs when i am talking on the phone, keeps switching back to the phone program if you let it sit too long)
    9) the SD card it at the top and not covered making it really easy to pop it out

Good Features
    1) Palm OS 5 (can use a few more programs)
    2) Faster processor
    3) (i don't know if i will like the keyboard yet)

So, given that list, i feel more like i was downgraded. Also, I was hoping for bluetooth on my next phone. Not in this case.

9/ you can file down the sd card using a dremel tool for example (or sand paper), it works great.
    use the fake plastic sc card that was in your phone when you received it as a guide.

Originally posted by katone
    9/ you can file down the sd card using a dremel tool for example (or sand paper), it works great.
    use the fake plastic sc card that was in your phone when you received it as a guide.
    Hmm... that thought had crossed my mind. Only problem i came up with that is
    1) how close is the memory to the edge of the plastic case?
    2) How will this affect the resale value of the card if i want to get a new or bigger one?

Also, anyone need a stylus? Never used Came with the original 3.

well for resale i guess it isn t good.

filing is virtually risk free if you follow the guide as I mentionned previously. I was myself 'scared' to mess up my 1GB card, but everything went much easier than i though.

it seems that the memory is far enough from the pasitc case.

there is a VERY long post on treocentral.com about it (from a year back or so), do a search if you're interested. most T600 users from treocentral.com and mytreo.net performed the operation, and as far as I know none had any problem.

Just pay attention when you file your card.... I started to go a little too far with mine... just broke through to the inside, sealed it with super glue, and workin fine!!

If you stay with the template you should be fine... (I was using a belt sander, a little gutsy I guess)

Good to know that it isn't that close. As far as resell value, I suppose it would be better to do this than lose the card because it just popped out.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    :: puts belt sander away ::

belt sander worsk fine, just be patient!! I would suggest keeping the card flat on the sander table too... i did it 'by hand' and thats where some of my problem was... oh well it still works, so I dont care

I just did it actually with a metal file. Worked great (until i almost dropped the card in a bowl full a water as i was doing this over my sink. Opps) But ya, it no longer sticks up. Good hack.

Water might not have been good...

I have heard rumor that a silver marker does a good job of coloring the top to match the phone. I havent tried it yet though.

yep, i did it on mine and it s great. almost can't see the sdcard anymore!

katone, send me the marker... we can pass it around! I havent ever really seen a silver one...

maybe the wife has one in her craft crap...

yea, you can find those anywhere easily. i tried to fit mine through the dsl cable but wouldn t fit.