+ Reply to Thread

Assurion has replacements for 7135

Well today 4/27 I dropped my very reliable (and stable) 7135 and the hinge broke. I had insurance through Assurion and they are sending me another 7135.

I hope the next one is as stable as the last one has been.

Cost me $50 too, I was debating the cost versus using epoxy on the broken hinge. Too late now.

Will Verizon activate it?

If not, if you're technically savvy, I suppose you could always transfer the guts of Old Reliable into the new hinge/body, and your ESN wouldn't change, so VZW would be none the wiser.

Also, any idea if (like me) you don't have any insurance, can you buy a replacement from Assurion?

Yes I'm being paranoid, right now my 7135 works just fine, but one of these days ...

Originally posted by bobodobo
    Will Verizon activate it?

I don't see why not. its not a "new" activation. Though it is a new ESN, its a replacement for an existing phone. Nice to here Assurion is still honoring replacements giving me hope that my $4.99/mo is not wasted.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

to save yourself problems with activating it, do it on the phone..
    you can program it all yourself. than all you have to do is call and give them the new ESN. you shouldnt have issues there. i have the kyocera wireless phone service toolkit. if you get that little toy you could do all kinda stuff with it... i forgot where i found it, i searched "KWPST" on google and flipped through a couple pages to get to it though

yup my 7135 showed up today. I'm loading my stuff on it first before trying to activate it.

It came in an Asurion box and it doesn't have the external Verizon markings on the phone itself. It is newer than my old one b/c it has the shorter antenna.

How does one tell if it was refurbished or not?

Well I can tell by the sticker under the battery, it was refurbished. Plus it has date of 3/23/05.

Update, I tried to install all of my apps using my SD card into the new phone and I kept getting fatal errors. I did a hard reset and reinstalled everything on my old phone and it worked. So I called Verizon and they forwarded me to Assurion. Assurion is sending me out another 7135 for tomorrow.

mmmhh let me think. get a treo.

I haven't been offered one. Otherwise I'd consider it.

call data support at VZW and tell them you got the SRCP message. or something similar...

even if I did get that error, wouldn't they still send me over to Asurion?

now that you started the claim it s gonna be hard to turn around... they have it all on file.

I do agree on that Katone, but I think when his next one arrives... if he calls Data Support and gives him his list of what has happened, they will send him the Treo instantly. Remember, they are trying to get rid of them, and if he has 2 bad ones come from Assurian, they will probably just do it. My guess is, he hasnt had a chance to actually talk to the Data people yet.

correct, I haven't called data support yet.

What number should I be calling?

866-788-9387

Thanks. I get the second replacement this afternoon. We'll see if I get the same error when I restore my Apps from my SD card. If so I'll call the Verizon Data support number.

Thanks

update - the second replacement came today from Asurion. A brand spanking new complete Verizon 7135. The first was a refurbished. i'm loading my programs now and we'll see how it works

OK everything installed (unlike with the first replacement which was refurbished) no problems yet. Now to activate it.

Everything seems to be working fine, but I had 2 very weird episodes. I loaded all of my stuff from the SD card onto the new phone. tested it all and it worked. 5 minutes later I open the phone and nothing is there. The phone did a hard reset on its own w/o asking me to do anything. This happened twice within 1.5 hours. I loaded all of my stuff a third time and it has been 2 hours and no problems.

Converged
    Did both your old 7135 and the new one have the same Graffiti? If not then the phones have different software levels and maybe you don't want to overwrite everything from the old phone. Maybe phone preference files, or some others may not be compatable.

-Stew