+ Reply to Thread

Angry MP3 player freezing

Hi. Love this forum - wish I'd found it years ago when I got my first 7135. I'm on issue #3 now and still prefer it over any other phone.

I have one thing that is really annoying me, though. My MP3 player just stops during play, right in the middle of a song. No pattern with song or anything - it's completely random. The screen shows the Play button still active, and all I have to do is push play twice and it picks right up where it left off. I have tried it on three different SanDisks and redownloaded song files until my USB cable smoked and tried with fewer songs. Did it even with only 10 songs on a 256mb card.

Based on recommendations here, I made sure all my file names were short and thought for sure that would fix it, but same thing. So I got Beebopper and hoped that would resolve it, but no go - on the plane the other day it stopped five or six times within 45 minutes of play.

My current thinking is that the screen is somehow involved as I usually close the phone and put it in my holster. I noticed that Bebopper at least sets the OK button to the Play function so maybe it's getting pushed? I'm at my wits end, and even though this is not the reason that I own this phone it's a perk I really like!

Thanks and good wishes!

Patrick

Perchance do you have any software installed that has a timer or alarm it that might be taking control of the Palm side after a certain amount of "percieved" inactivity. Just a thought.
    mg
    BTW welcome to the forum!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Unfortunately, no - no other software that I know of interacting.
    I have had datebook alarms come up, but they don't seem to cause a problem. And nothing else is happening on the phone at the time of the freeze.

Does the Palm o/s itself do something like that, perhaps? I'm testing it now with the clam shell open to see if that helps. I'll also check any power management settings.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    @ pgerding,
    What bit rate are your MP3s encoded at??? If it's anything less than 96 Kbps, that can cause the problem. It's a problem with the hardware. Jonathan Bell, author of Bebopper, has confirmed this. You need to have your MP3s encoded between 96 Kbps and 128 Kbps for relaible MP3 player operation on the 7135.
    Michael

Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone. The MP3 files are all 128 bits.

I have found that it's power related, I think. In testing with the clam shell open, I noticed that the screen was blank when I heard it had stopped. So, I paid a little more attention and realized that the screen was turning off first and then the music would stop. I can replicate this by pushing the lightbulb button on the bottom of the keypad at any point during a song.

So I checked the PDA settings and turned the "Off After" settings in Prefs/General to "Never when open." That seemed to work well - with the shell open, Bebopper and MP3 Player both went for 20 minutes with no problems when it had been chocking after 9-10 minutes after start before the change. Not sure what impact this will have on my battery, though!

So, I got cocky and closed the shell and let it play, thinking I'd hit jackpot. About 90 seconds in, though, she stopped. So the setting is different I guess for closed versus open. Is there a power setting for when it's closed? Can anyone replicate this or am I off my rocker?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    What firmware do you have on your 7135? You can check that in the "Phone Info" application "Software" section (upper-right corner gadget). The current firmware is MZ 1.0.44 and SZ 1.0.29.
    Michael

Hi Michael - my firmware versions show those (1.0.44 and 1.0.29). I did find two files that were lower bit rates (like 32) - snuck in there somehow. I've trashed them and am retesting.

do a backup of ur stuff. do a hard reset. dont do a restore. instead run your mp3 player and see what happens... for some reason hard reset is all i know to do... it will let you know if its an app problem or a phone issue