+ Reply to Thread

Tried to get a free 650 from Verizon (Kyocera Orphan)

So, I'm a Kyocera 7135 orphan - mine having died a while back. When it died they sent me a Treo 600 without warning. (BTW: I have 4 lines, and pay close to $500 a month for cell service, and am NOT under contract - so, your experience may vary.)

So, I called Verizon last night after using the Treo for a week, and played dumb: "Hey, I had a 7135, and I have over $500 worth of accessories, including extra batteries, and you guys said you were "swapping" me out - and here I get a Treo, what's up with that" (BTW, POUR ON THE NICE, when you call)

She's MYSTIFIED why they would do that, so, she speaks to a supervisor, tells me they no longer support the 7135, but if I want they will get me a new one from Kyocera, OR (and it got interesting here) they would give me a 50% discount on accessories for my Treo 600.

Well, that was nice.

I said, the PROBLEM with the 600 is the lack of a spare battery - did she know when a 650 might be available, maybe they could switch me over to one of those. She liked the idea, and put me on hold for about 15 minutes.

Came back - no dice, since they don't know when the 650 will be available, and it won't likely be within the next 30 days.

BUT, she reminded me since I was not under contract, I could get a phone upgrade when the 650 became available.

So, I passed on the accessories (probably should have grabbed SOMETHING) and will likely just "ebay" the Treo 600 when the 650 becomes available. (I was going to swap for a new 600 because the speakerphone has a buz at high volume - but, I searched this site, and it seems that a buz is probably as good as it gets.)

I miss my 7135, but the Treo is starting to grow on me, and the 650 will have some bluetooth going on for it - so, once the 650 is available, it looks like ANYONE who calls in to Verizon with a "Service Required. Contact Provider." freeze-out will be blessed with a free phone - a rather nice one, I might add.

if you liked the koycera better you shouldve made them buy one 4 you.
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]

the kyo is a dinosaur compared to a treo600 (yet alone a 650!)

Well, I really loved my 7135 - and I loved the CLAMSHELL, but the Treo does really feel like a better phone, and faster too.

So, I can always pick up a 7135 on the cheap, but I'm looking forward to trading my Treo 600 on a 650.

well check to make sure verizon doesnt screw you like they have been with others. switching phones out makes for a delicate issue with verizon these days. hope fully you got the number of the peeps you were talking to on the help line so you dont have to go through the whole 500$ in accessories story again(refer to the post on pay for dada without asking)

They seem to keep pretty good notes on the computer - but I am resigned that I will have to tell the entire story all over again.

I just make sure to call late at night - less wait time on hold. And, I am SO FRIENDLY - they probably aren't used to being treated like royalty - so, "You get what you give".

coobies. im with alltel... their service stops at like..... 8 bastards
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]