+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7135 doesn't respond after battery removed

Sometimes when I take the battery out and put it back in, my 7135 doesn't respond for a short while. No start up, no light, no nothing.... I usually take the battery back out and put it in again a couple of times and then it comes back on. Is this normal behavior of a 7135?

how long do you take it out? is it long enough for a hard reset?
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]

usually, just a few moments. Should I leave it out for a certain period of time?
    thanks for the reply

a hard reset might fix it the RAM might be freain out

any luck?
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]

I reset it & still the same thing. It's never really been a 'problem,' just a delay.

I'm just wondering if it's 'normal' ... (assuming that word is even relevant in describing the mysterious behavior of a computer from one day to the next....)

my phone has a delay when i reset it. it may just be normal

You haven't really given us enough information to know if your experience is the same as ours, but I suspect that it is.

In my case the Palm logo appears on the screen, without being backlit, immediately. About 10 seconds later the top display starts visibly rebooting with a checkerboard pattern, etc. About 10 more seconds and the system is completely rebooted, dropping me in the Preferencesate & Time screen.

The same happens to my phone when I take out battery. Must be common to this phone

I took out my battery once for a few minutes and when I put it back in the phone had reset...address book cleared out, phone history cleared, etc.

Luckily I was able to gain back everything by syncing to my computer.

My question is similar, is it "normal" for the 7135 to lose all of its information if you take the battery out only for a few moments and then put it back in?
    I hate College.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    It's not necessarily normal. Depends on the amount of time you have the main battery out of the unit. The 7135 has an internal power source of some sort (not really confirmed if it's a battery or a low leakage capacitor) that retains the memory for a short time in order to change batteries. IMPORTANT: That power source is NOT recharged by simply having the main battery installed in the 7135. The main battery must be fully charged, and the 7135 plugged into a power source in order for the internal power source to get recharged. If you have spare batteries that you charge in the cradle separately for switching, and never plug the 7135 unit into power (cradle or otherwise), the internal power source will eventually go dead. When that happens, you'll lose the information immediately (rather than after a few moments) when the main battery is removed. For that reason, it's wise to have a fully charged battery in the 7135 and plugging it in for a few hours (overnight is convenient) every so often. I usually do it once per week.
    Michael

Originally posted by necoconeco
    I took out my battery once for a few minutes and when I put it back in the phone had reset...address book cleared out, phone history cleared, etc.

Luckily I was able to gain back everything by syncing to my computer.

My question is similar, is it "normal" for the 7135 to lose all of its information if you take the battery out only for a few moments and then put it back in?
    Depends on what you mean by a "few moments"... There is a capacitor/whatever. It only gets charged *after* the main battery gets charged in the phone. If you only charge your other battery in the cradle and swap them in the phone without ever charging the battery in the phone this cap will be depleted. If you put your phone on charge (reasonably depleted) you should probably wait at least a couple of hours to make sure the cap gets charged.

Now. The proper way to swap batteries is to power down both the phone and the palm sides of the phone first. You should be able to comfortably swap batteries without wiping memory.

There is a catch... If you fumble at all and "bounce" the battery on the contacts you will wipe memory.

Get a SD card. Get Backupbuddy VFS. full restore only takes minutes.

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    Depends on what you mean by a "few moments"... There is a capacitor/whatever. It only gets charged *after* the main battery gets charged in the phone. If you only charge your other battery in the cradle and swap them in the phone without ever charging the battery in the phone this cap will be depleted. If you put your phone on charge (reasonably depleted) you should probably wait at least a couple of hours to make sure the cap gets charged.

Now. The proper way to swap batteries is to power down both the phone and the palm sides of the phone first. You should be able to comfortably swap batteries without wiping memory.

There is a catch... If you fumble at all and "bounce" the battery on the contacts you will wipe memory.

Get a SD card. Get Backupbuddy VFS. full restore only takes minutes.

-Quick
    Yea, I took out the battery for over a minute to look at the serial number. Thanks for the information!

So to review, if you take out the battery without powering down first, the memory is wiped, correct?
    I hate College.

Yea, I took out the battery for over a minute to look at the serial number. Thanks for the information!

So to review, if you take out the battery without powering down first, the memory is wiped, correct?
    Correction: If I take out the battery without powering down and the "cap" is full, the memory will not be wiped, but if I take out the battery without powering down, and the "cap" is depleted, then the memory will be wiped?

Additionally,

If the "cap" IS depleted and I DO power down before taking out the battery , will memory still be wiped?
    I hate College.

Correction: If I take out the battery without powering down and the "cap" is full, the memory will not be wiped, but if I take out the battery without powering down, and the "cap" is depleted, then the memory will be wiped?

Additionally,

If the "cap" IS depleted and I DO power down before taking out the battery , will memory still be wiped?
    It's been a couple of years... not sure about battery out without powering down with the capacitor charged. It shouldn't wipe memory.
    Battery out with capacitor depleted and you will wipe memory no matter what.

-Quick

Jeez...so if I am out and my phone battery starts to die, it's essentially useless to carry around a spare battery to swap in (that is unless I have recently charged the phone itself and hence the spare power source)

Jeeeezzzzz.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Helps alot.

Cheers.
    I hate College.

Jeez...so if I am out and my phone battery starts to die, it's essentially useless to carry around a spare battery to swap in (that is unless I have recently charged the phone itself and hence the spare power source)
    No. Once charged the capacitor should stay that way for a long time unless the battery is removed. It should have enough juice for at least a couple of battery swaps? Although, if possible, the best way is to have the phone plugged into power when swaping batteries. Car or travel charger. No need to shut anything off.

Again. If you have any data at all a SD card and Backupbuddy VFS is an essential.

-Quick

Stealth Converged
    Just for good practice, I have always powered down the phone before I change the battery. Just from an electronic standpoint, it isn't a good idea to jerk the power out from under a device as sensitive as The Precious unless you absolutely HAVE to. Given all this discussion about the SRCP errors, it doesn't seem wise to tempt the gods. So, for good measure, I'd say power down the phone before you change batteries.

As for the length of time you can go before the internal power source drains, The Precious sits on its cradle at least every couple of days, so I've never run into this issue. That said, it is absolutely a good idea to carry around an extra battery, because most of the old timers will tell you that The Precious WILL run out of battery at the very worst possible time.

The 7135 has an internal sensor that knows exactly when to suck up the last bit of power from the first battery, LOL. Like when you are explaining to your boss what you were doing with his wife at Ché Fôn Fôn restaurant last night, and why she had a distant smile all day today ......

Oh, did I say that out loud?

i removed my battery and phone will not power back on any one have any clues.

Originally posted by bamaboy
    i removed my battery and phone will not power back on any one have any clues.
    Did you try holding down the power button for a few seconds?
    When you press and release the power button quickly it turns off the backlight. Are you sure that it's just that it's not lit?
    Did you try the reset button after putting the battery back in?
    Did you try powering it on in the charging cradle? With and without the battery in the phone?

-Quick