+ Reply to Thread

Last Outlet for New 7135s?

If anyone out there wants a brand new 7135, you can still order one here: http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135.../7135_sale.pdf

After you press extension 5 and get in touch with a representative, he/she will probably tell you that either:

1) you can't buy one if you're not a business customer

or

2) Verizon may not activate this phone anymore

If you really want the phone, just tell them that you want one and agree not to hold them accountable in the case that you are unable to use (activate) it.

I bought one to have as a backup to my current (very reliable) 7135. This phone is just perfect for me. Although I would love to have a better screen, bluetooth, and a bunch of other gadgets ... I don't need those things; and what this phone DOES HAVE ... reliable performance, tank-like flip style build, I see no reason to switch to anything else for the foreseeable future.

I was checking out a friend's Treo 650 last night and no-thank-you to that. Had some nice stuff as we all know about, but that screen is a sitting duck for abuse (at least the way I use a phone).

My ONLY complaint about the 7135 is the antenna that sticks up so far. Has anyone had any luck coming up with something that is flush to the top of the antennae housing?

$189 bucks seems like a lot of money for a backup to your "very reliable" phone. If it's that reliable, how come you need a backup?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to wait until ebay is flooded with all the 7135's from us Verizon users waiting to jump ship to the 650?
    Release the Hounds!

Well I look at it this way ... this phone works great as a phone, for my PDA uses (contact managment and calendar and e.mail) it works great. I've got all the accessories, etc. etc. etc. For $189 I'm basically assuring status quo for a few more years. That, plus I will probably cancel insurance now, just seemed like an OK price. Whatever, I'm not gonna sweat it now.

Oh, and did I say it was NEW (unlike the phones that will "soon be flooding ebay").

looks like they found a big stock of em in the back corner of the warehouse hehe.

I'm still waiting for that "flood" of 7135's to hit eBay. I'm not impressed with the 650 so you can have it.
    KJB

Originally posted by TheKJB
    I'm still waiting for that "flood" of 7135's to hit eBay. I'm not impressed with the 650 so you can have it.
    I think they already have...
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    I think they already have...
    mg
    I don't know - I just checked last night and the prices seemed to be as high as ever, unless you were looking for a parts phone.

I'm surprised that, given the number of users this phone has, that there haven't been more third party modifications to these. Maybe that'll start happening once they finally do get inexpensive (and when I say "inexpensive", I mean in the same range as the 6035's, which can be bought for around $20 each on a daily basis). I think there's still a lot that can be done with these units and if Verizon isn't being bothered with tech support issues then they shouldn't have any problems activating the phones. AFAIK, they don't have a similar problem with activating 6035's.
    KJB

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up 7135 antenna options

This is the only site where I have seen 7135 optional antennas.

http://store.yahoo.com/cellphoneshop/anforky71.html

The flashing light ones will not work with cdma phones. I have not ordered one yet but am thinking of trying the silver retractable antenna.

p.s. I have ordered both the leather case and the replacement battery for the 7135. Both are no name brand but very good. You can't beat the price on the spare battery.

Enjoy
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Re: 7135 antenna options

Originally posted by mikeyis009
    This is the only site where I have seen 7135 optional antennas.

The flashing light ones will not work with cdma phones. I have not ordered one yet but am thinking of trying the silver retractable antenna.

p.s. I have ordered both the leather case and the replacement battery for the 7135. Both are no name brand but very good. You can't beat the price on the spare battery.

Enjoy
    Do those really work? Anyone? I've been looking for an antenna that won't stick out so far ever since I've had this phone ... and that's been a long time.

Ordered a few antennas

I could not resist.
    I will update this thread in a week or so when the antennas arrive. I figured they are cheap as hell so I ordered the silver and gray extended type and the brass and silver nub-looking ones.

I will do some testing with each one for a few days after they arrive and update this thread with my findings. I wanted the PDA stylus/pen so I tossed those antennas in for good measure.

Till then ....
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Last Outlet for New 7135s?

If anyone out there wants a brand new 7135, you can still order one here: http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/713...f/7135_sale.pdf

Hi, I'm new to this forum -- great information.

Q: Do you know whether this Verizon phone would work with Alltel which is affiliated with Verizon?

I'd much rather buy a brand-new 7135 than take my chances on a used one on eBay.

Thank you,

matis

Thumbs down NO DICE on Antenna options

I tried 3 different antenna types from:

NO GO !!!

They do not fit. the threads fit but they are about 1/8 to 1/2 or an inch too short. I tried a few quick mods and nothing worked.

I had zero bars when trying all 3. The do not extend deep enough into the cell to contact with the antenna contacts.

The only way I can see these working is if you are willing to cut off the top 1/2 inch of the antenna tower on your 7135. (The part that your current antenna slips into)

I will have to admit, the silver nub type that does not extend looks pretty cool on the 7135. Too bad it is useless. I am not convinced that after I Dremil off the top 1/2 inch on the antenna tower that it will look as good.

I am not willing to do this, thus, my search ends for a replacement to that long oem antenna.

Re: NO DICE on Antenna options

Originally posted by mikeyis009
    I am not willing to do this, thus, my search ends for a replacement to that long oem antenna.
    I have the "short" oem antenna (short nub that they originally came with). You do realize that antenna length (when extended) is important. In low signal conditions you will pick up a signal with a proper length antenna where you won't with a short one or a stub. In higher signal conditions your phone will use less transmit power (to achieve the same signal strength as dictated by the tower).

The 7135 is one of the few phones to sport a 1/2 wave length antenna instead of the 1/4 wave most CDMA phones have. (1/2 wave is better than 1/4 wave).

Of course if you're always in great signal areas and don't need to squeeze as much battery life as possible then the custom antennas can look pretty cool depending on your perferences

-Quick

Yeah but you got a flashing LED on your 'tenny! Man that ought to be worth something!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.