+ Reply to Thread

Maybe we are lucky not to have those QWERTY keypads on 7135

I read an interesting link on a Blackberry forum about the effect of these mini QWERY keypads on the Blackberry but could also be applicable to the Treo 600/650 as well.

I don't use Graffit, but I use the onscreen keyboard all the time. Between that and Graffiti we made avoid those nasty Carpal Tunnel hands.

Everytime I think I will move to a BB or Treo I read stuff like this and pat my 7135 on the back and I am glad I have insurance and Assurion has a supply of 7135 available for swap outs.

Here it is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7132

LOL!!!
    is marvw for reals?

I know a surgeon who operates on people with carpel-tunnel syndrome (he cuts a tendon to relieve the pain). He swears those little keyboards have doubled his business!

Yup - and with more and more of these tiny little keyboards being used for all kinds of devices, he's only going to get more business as time goes on. They may be convenient but like anything, overuse will cause problems. They were never intended to replace a full sized keyboard, just to be used when you were away from it. If I really need a keyboard for the 7135, I just use the full sized keyboard that's available. I think I've actually used it on one business trip. I'm considering putting it on eBay.
    KJB

I use my folding keyboard all the time. Grafitti suits me well, too, however.

the keyboard on ym treo600 also suits me well at time when i need urgently to type something really fast..

Yeah, it would but I've gotten to the point where writing it is a lot easier than typing it. I'd use the keyboard if it were there, which is the problem some of the "power users" are having - they're using it too much and getting carpal tunnel.
    KJB

Stealth Converged
    Worst part of those tiny keyboards for me is having really big hands/fingers. My thumbs are almost an inch in diameter (I kid you not), so I might as well be typing with my feet.

WHY has the whole PDA world abandoned Palm/Grafitti? It seems to me they are ignoring a significant existing market with an already-proven appetite for high-end technology. Geez, there must be a TON of Palm users out there that are still carrying a Palm unit of some sort AND a cell phone!

By the way, does anyone know how many 7135s have been sold since it was introduced?

I am not sure why anyone would use grafitti (except for the occasional single letter or punctuation mark) when the on-screen keyboard is so much faster.

I suppose you dont have to look at what you are doing when using grafitti, but the speed (in my estimation) is something like 2-3 times slower using grafitti vs pecking at the on-screen keyboard.

My error rate seems similar using either.