+ Reply to Thread

Dare to swap the battery

Hiya folks,

I've had 2 7135s now and wondered if anyone has figured out how to remove the battery without losing everything on the PDA.

I've tried this 5 times and everytime I lose everything in the PDA. I've tried turning off the phone first, turning off the display, etc. Most recently a friend asked to see if there was a sim chip beneath the battery (there's not). Took the battery out for only 10 seconds and - yup, all PDA data gone.

This is so strange - especially considering when you look at the charging station and see the extra battery charging slot. How could swapping a battery even be practical if all data is lost!?
    -
    james

simple solution

Solution is simple - take the phone out of the cradle. Remove the ac power cord from the back of the cradle, and plug it directly into the bottom of the phone (like you would with a travel charger or car charger). Now swap batteries with no data loss, because the phone continues to receive power via the charger so it never turns off at all. Will also work with a travel charger or in your car with a car charger.

Beware - in some cars, like hondas, the cigarette lighter / power supply has no power when the car is turned off, so the car must be running for this to work.

I've never lost data on a battery swap...only a soft reset. I just take the battery out...with the phone still on...and put the new one in. No data loss for me.

Lisa - that's a good workaround - have you lost data with a battery swap?

Abe Frohman says no, but it's happened to me every time and with 2 phones (I had sort of hoped the first one was an anomoly).
    -
    james