+ Reply to Thread

More About Verizon Abandoning the 7135

I just got off the phone with my long time source at Verizon (since I write about personal technology for my day job, I get to use some of those resources for this).

A memo was sent out April 4th stating that Verizon wouldn't be allowing any new customers to activate Kyocera 7135 phones on the system, citing numerous issues that involved this phone. Current users will continue to be allowed to use the phones on the system but any technical issue will result in an attempt to move the user to another phone.

In an update dated 5/10, the CSR's are advised that anyone that has purchased a phone on eBay should be referred back to the seller as all eBay sellers have been notified that the phones will no longer be activated on the Verizon network. So if you're planning on picking up a cheap phone on eBay to get a free 600, forget it. Looks like that swap program is finished. If you find someone at VZW willing to do it, take advantage of it.

My source didn't know what the specific problems were and he hasn't personally had to deal with anyone who owns one besides me and none of my problems have actually involved the phone, just service issues. He did say that for Verizon to take this kind of action meant that there had to be some kind of major issue involved.

I'll be talking to the head of Verizon's PR department tomorrow since this is now a legitimate story. This is going to put a lot of essentially useless units out there that will, if nothing else, be able to be used as inexpensive color Palm units. I'm sure that all of the Verizon phones can be unlocked and moved to Cingular or any other system that still supports the 7135. I'm going to be talking to the PR departments for the various other carriers whom I'm sure will be more than happy to make a pitch for users to switch to their service.

Of course, we're talking about a phone that has been in the field for years and the carriers live off of people upgrading their phones about once per year. Kyocera stopped producing the phone some time ago and doesn't have any public plans to replace it with anything similar. I will be trying to get a comment from Kyocera but that company is notoriously close mouthed about these things - I've had colleagues who have gotten an on the record quote that something wasn't even being thought about only to see a press release less than a week later announcing that very product. I'll report what I find here and let everyone know when and where the article will be coming out.
    KJB

KJB...
    Thanks for the sleuthing on this... and keep us up to date on any kind of story you do on it... you'll have lots of users to interview here!
    Oh' and you might want to PM johnbartley about getting this news worthy story on the PPH front page!
    mg
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 05-10-2005 at 08:39 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thanks - will do on that. To my knowledge, this is the first time that any carrier has specifically banned a particular phone from their service. As someone else noted and I experienced just this week, you can still activate old StarTac's on the Verizon system. The person I talked to did say that you could activate a new / replacement 7135 on your account if you already have one or move it from one number to another (I have 5 numbers between everyone in my family) so those of us that already have them should be okay - just don't take any technical issues to Verizon. Either ask Kyocera or pay the $50 to Asurion and get a new phone. There definitely sounds like there's more to this, though and I'll keep everyone updated.
    KJB

Re: More About Verizon Abandoning the 7135

Originally posted by TheKJB
    (since I write about personal technology for my day job
    [snip]
    I'm sure that all of the Verizon phones can be unlocked and

VZW doesn't lock their phones.

moved to Cingular or any other system that still supports the 7135.

Cingular is GSM. VZW is CDMA.
    Sprint is CDMA but won't activate non-Sprint phones.

Of course, we're talking about a phone that has been in the field for years and the carriers live off of people upgrading their phones about once per year.

Really? look at VZW's financial disclosures to see the expense they take on subsidizing phones.

Kyocera stopped producing the phone some time ago and doesn't have any public plans to replace it with anything similar.

Still on their website with a few carriers worldwide still carrying it. Is this just available stock?

I'll report what I find here and let everyone know when and where the article will be coming out.

Who do you write for?

-Quick

Re: Re: More About Verizon Abandoning the 7135

Originally posted by Quick

(since I write about personal technology for my day job
    [snip]
    I'm sure that all of the Verizon phones can be unlocked and

VZW doesn't lock their phones.
    So much the better, then. I've never had to move on off another system, just to Verizon.

moved to Cingular or any other system that still supports the 7135.

Cingular is GSM. VZW is CDMA.
    Sprint is CDMA but won't activate non-Sprint phones.
    Bugger that, then.

Of course, we're talking about a phone that has been in the field for years and the carriers live off of people upgrading their phones about once per year.

Really? look at VZW's financial disclosures to see the expense they take on subsidizing phones.
    Yes, they subsidize phones but get customers to agree to things like longer contracts in order to upgrade, etc. It's the same reason SONY sell the PS2 at a net loss, so you'll buy the games and hopefull subscribe to their online service(s).

Kyocera stopped producing the phone some time ago and doesn't have any public plans to replace it with anything similar.

Still on their website with a few carriers worldwide still carrying it. Is this just available stock?
    According to other public statements, yes. There are also apparently no plans to release an upgrade to the phone. I say apparently as Kyocera usually doesn't release much about products in development. But seeing as they were keen to let customers who had bought the 6035's know that the 7135 was on the way and that no such statement has ever been made about a successor to the 7135, all signs point to there not being a true "replacement" for the 7135, at least not from Kyocera.

I'll report what I find here and let everyone know when and where the article will be coming out.

Who do you write for?
    IGN
    KJB

What ticks me off the most about this is that it unfairly makes my phone worthless to others. I can't sell it to a thrid pary on ebay or any other market, because they would not be able to activate it. Is there any other phone (with an active technology) that this has happened with?
    -BB

Originally posted by BiliBug
    What ticks me off the most about this is that it unfairly makes my phone worthless to others. I can't sell it to a thrid pary on ebay or any other market, because they would not be able to activate it. Is there any other phone (with an active technology) that this has happened with?
    -BB
    I'm speechless....

Re: More About Verizon Abandoning the 7135

Apparently Verizon doesn't have that policy in place all over since I just called Verizon for a friend and asked them if I could activate a 7135 online or should I do it on the phone. The customer service rep said "I'll be happy to take care of that for you right now sir". I asked her if she understood that I wanted to activate a Kyocera 7135 and she said yes. She said "that's a nice phone. It's too bad Verizon doesn't sell it anymore". Hmmmmmmm.

I think people should call Verizon before buying a 7135 and see if they will activate it.

I'm not saying your friend is wrong but I think you can ask Verizon 10 questions from 10 different people and get 10 different answers. It may also depend of what part of the country you're in. I live in Florida.

I just got off the phone with my long time source at Verizon (since I write about personal technology for my day job, I get to use some of those resources for this).

A memo was sent out April 4th stating that Verizon wouldn't be allowing any new customers to activate Kyocera 7135 phones on the system, citing numerous issues that involved this phone. Current users will continue to be allowed to use the phones on the system but any technical issue will result in an attempt to move the user to another phone.

In an update dated 5/10, the CSR's are advised that anyone that has purchased a phone on eBay should be referred back to the seller as all eBay sellers have been notified that the phones will no longer be activated on the Verizon network. So if you're planning on picking up a cheap phone on eBay to get a free 600, forget it. Looks like that swap program is finished. If you find someone at VZW willing to do it, take advantage of it.

My source didn't know what the specific problems were and he hasn't personally had to deal with anyone who owns one besides me and none of my problems have actually involved the phone, just service issues. He did say that for Verizon to take this kind of action meant that there had to be some kind of major issue involved.

I'll be talking to the head of Verizon's PR department tomorrow since this is now a legitimate story. This is going to put a lot of essentially useless units out there that will, if nothing else, be able to be used as inexpensive color Palm units. I'm sure that all of the Verizon phones can be unlocked and moved to Cingular or any other system that still supports the 7135. I'm going to be talking to the PR departments for the various other carriers whom I'm sure will be more than happy to make a pitch for users to switch to their service.

Of course, we're talking about a phone that has been in the field for years and the carriers live off of people upgrading their phones about once per year. Kyocera stopped producing the phone some time ago and doesn't have any public plans to replace it with anything similar. I will be trying to get a comment from Kyocera but that company is notoriously close mouthed about these things - I've had colleagues who have gotten an on the record quote that something wasn't even being thought about only to see a press release less than a week later announcing that very product. I'll report what I find here and let everyone know when and where the article will be coming out.

well... as far as the verizon phones not being worth a crap once verizon has finished getting the 7135 locked out, the phone will still work on an alltel network.. alltel stamped phones on e-bay sell for around 30-40$ more than a verizon stamped phone.. i bought the verizon one and activated it on an alltel network just fine. it works fine. the only issue is the internet. i just use verizons Q2n cause alltels wont work.... i havent figured out y yet though.

also like walt said. if you ask 10 people the same question youl get 10 different answers... its all about the luck of the draw right now, not everyone knows about the 7135 lockout. some people get it some people dont. if they dont they go over the rep's head and get it anyway... you can get it activated still..... for now.

also i think they are locking out this smart phone because its a smartphone.. it can only be replaced with a smaert phone.. so if all these people with 7135's have to keep getting them replaced. and there arent any 7135's in production any more their only choice is to send you a new smartphone.. the t-600 which retails for atleast 350$.. (which means a contract with a phone repair company for the 7135 is no more)they spend to much upgrading.. they know peeps that have the 7135 will soon be forced to get it replaced. if i was with a dead 7135 i would just get the samsung i600.
    Phone history: kyocera 7135, treo 600, samsung i600, samsung i730, HTC ppc6700

[SIZE="4"]Visit my webpage! and help it grow![/SIZE]