+ Reply to Thread

Kyocera 7135 and sending email

Hi everyone,

One of my users uses Eudora mail to access POP3 email from his 7135. He can receive only email and unable to send email. The error says:

The outgoing SMTP mail server is requesting a username and password. Is it okay to send POP username and PW.

When I click OK, i get this error message.

Error: Unable to authenticate to Outgoing SMTP mail server. No common security mechanism were found.

From the internet, I am able to receive POP 3 and sending email from POP3 using our smtp server from an Outlook client.

So, the question is that because of the service provider, Verizon, email system does not allow relaying?

Thanks,

Converged
    It sounds like the smtp provider (outgoing) email is requiring a userid and password (our University implemented this several months ago). Eudora is asking if it should use the userid and password from your pop3 server. This userid and password may be the same or different depending on your email providers setup. If the userid/passwords are different then that could be the problem. If they are the same, some smtp servers require encrypted authentication, it's possible that your smtp server requires this (the University's does) and that perhaps Eudora does not support it.

-Stew

I was able to send email using verizon's smtp.airbridge.com. That only works while in the Verizon Network area. However, I spend a lot of time in the Extended Network and couldn't send email from there. I was about to subscribe to an SMTP service when I tried entering the full authenticating info for my ISP and it worked. I can send and receive email from anywhere.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    You could pay a one-time-only fee of $14.95 for a "Member" account on the FastMail (http://www.fastmail.fm) system. This gives you access to their SMTP server, which you can use from anywhere. That's what I have. I can use it from any computer or handheld device that I own anywhere I go.
    Michael

Stealth Converged
    The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is establish an account on www.vtext.com (free), then use that user/pw combo to connect to Vzw's outgoing smtp server (smtp.vzwmail.net).

A quick look through this thread will give good information:
    Can't Send E-Mail

Hope this helps.

H