+ Reply to Thread

Things Kyocera got right with the 7135...

So I've been using my Treo 650 for a few days, and my forlorn 7135 sits in the corner, beaming over its programs one at a time as I decide I need them.

Though there are mant things the treo does extremely well (and some things bordering on amazing, really), there are lots of things that, now that I miss them, I know Kyocera got right. Here are a few, off the top of my head:

1. What's included: the Kyocera CAME WITH a cradle, extra styluses, and a holster in the box. The Treo 650 is missing ALL of that stuff. The only "extra" it came with is a "univeral" screen protector, which you must cut to size for the Treo screen.

2. LCD on the top: When holstered, you can see who is calling you by simply looking down at the closed phone. The Treo requires you to remove it from whatever holder you have to look at the main screen.

3. Form factor: I just tossed my armored turtle-like 7135 in my pocket for YEARS, and didn't worry about my keys, money clip, coins, or anything damaging it. The Treo has 40 or 50 little buttons, any one of which could be damaged by something in your pocket. The screen is completely exposed, of course, but a screen protector can save it from minor dings. There's all sort of "keylocking" programs for the Treo to prevent keys from being accidently pressed, the Kyo just never needed them.

4. MP3 Ringers: amazingly, the Treo650 has NO provisions for this. You MUST buy (no freeware products found) and use a third party applciation to use MP3 ringers.

5. A lack of "hard buttons:" The 7135 has 4 hard buttons, PLUS two for the phone (red phone/green phone buttons), plus the silkscreened buttons. The Treo only has 4 hardware buttons, and two of them are "red phone/green phone." Yeah, there's a programmable button on the side, and you can "shift-press" the hardware buttons to double-up their functionality, but you really have to think hard about what apps you want to quick-launch. There are many third-party workarounds for this that I need to sort through, but I never had to on the Kyo..

6. No Grafitti: I knew this one coming in, but after 8 years of grafitti-ing, I can do it MUCH faster than I can type on the little QWERTY keyboard. Fortunately, TealScript and other programs can add it back.

7. No Silkscreen buttons: I had about 10 things I did with those silkscreen buttons, thanks to various Hacks and Desk Accessories, from popup calc to a laucnher menu to multi-clipboard. I miss them terribly. Yes, I can recreate a lot of that functionality with the hard buttons, but then I have to give up yet ANOTHER valuable hard button slot, and I'm already down quite a few.

I'm sure there are other issues, but those are the on my mind at the moment.

I mention this stuff not only to vent, but to remind everyone still using the Kyo that in many ways it is superior to the Treo. But I'm sure you already knew that.

-Warr

Re: Things Kyocera got right with the 7135...

Originally posted by wernst

1. What's included: the Kyocera CAME WITH a cradle, extra styluses, and a holster in the box. The Treo 650 is missing ALL of that stuff. The only "extra" it came with is a "univeral" screen protector, which you must cut to size for the Treo screen.

I to found this odd. A basic charger and a single stylus seemed cheap, especially for the cost of the unit. However, there is a large aftermarket following for the unit and I like having the choices.
    2. LCD on the top: When holstered, you can see who is calling you by simply looking down at the closed phone. The Treo requires you to remove it from whatever holder you have to look at the main screen.
    Definately miss this feature, but you can assign custom ringers (or record your own, like "Work is calling")
    3. Form factor: I just tossed my armored turtle-like 7135 in my pocket for YEARS, and didn't worry about my keys, money clip, coins, or anything damaging it. The Treo has 40 or 50 little buttons, any one of which could be damaged by something in your pocket. The screen is completely exposed, of course, but a screen protector can save it from minor dings. There's all sort of "keylocking" programs for the Treo to prevent keys from being accidently pressed, the Kyo just never needed them.
    Agreed, I dropped my Treo once an dit needed to be replaced. I dropped my 7135 several times and ended up with only minor scratches. I feel very vulnerable with the soft case and my Treo right now. Nothing to protect the screen.
    4. MP3 Ringers: amazingly, the Treo650 has NO provisions for this. You MUST buy (no freeware products found) and use a third party applciation to use MP3 ringers.
    There is a free (?) program to convert MP3s to AMV??? format that the Treo uses, then you can use custom ringtones.
    5. A lack of "hard buttons:" The 7135 has 4 hard buttons, PLUS two for the phone (red phone/green phone buttons), plus the silkscreened buttons. The Treo only has 4 hardware buttons, and two of them are "red phone/green phone." Yeah, there's a programmable button on the side, and you can "shift-press" the hardware buttons to double-up their functionality, but you really have to think hard about what apps you want to quick-launch. There are many third-party workarounds for this that I need to sort through, but I never had to on the Kyo..
    My 650 has the 4 Palm hard buttons. The 600 only has the 2 buttons. So I get the two phone buttons, the 4 hard buttons and then the side button combination of those.
    6. No Grafitti: I knew this one coming in, but after 8 years of grafitti-ing, I can do it MUCH faster than I can type on the little QWERTY keyboard. Fortunately, TealScript and other programs can add it back.
    I prefer the keyboard personally, I just couldnt get fast enough to keep up with note taking like i can with qwerty
    7. No Silkscreen buttons: I had about 10 things I did with those silkscreen buttons, thanks to various Hacks and Desk Accessories, from popup calc to a laucnher menu to multi-clipboard. I miss them terribly. Yes, I can recreate a lot of that functionality with the hard buttons, but then I have to give up yet ANOTHER valuable hard button slot, and I'm already down quite a few.
    You can use the favorites buttons under the dial pad to set hotkeys. You can then assign a letter to the favorite for one handed operations. For me, "H" is assigned to Home contact. "M" is assigned to the Money app. "S" is assigned to hotSync and the like.
    I'm sure there are other issues, but those are the on my mind at the moment.

I mention this stuff not only to vent, but to remind everyone still using the Kyo that in many ways it is superior to the Treo. But I'm sure you already knew that.

-Warr
    I still the liek Treo more. 10x faster processor, much better resolution, camera, bluetooth, more RAM, OS5 and much more. Jsut wish it was in a clamshell format.