+ Reply to Thread

Cool Alltel saw the light?

I was in the Alltel store the other day to pay my bill and guess what I saw back on the display. Yep, the Kyocera 7135 right next to the Blackberry. Oh what a sight that was. The store manager didn't know a whole lot more as usual to say about the whole deal. Does this mean maybe they will learn how to successfully program our Ebay purchases we bring into them in the future? Its good to see at least the 7135 isn't on its way out just yet.[SIZE=3][FONT=courier new]

That is interesting information. What is the location of the store where you saw that? My local Alltel store has not had the 7135 on display for 3 or 4 months before I got mine in May. They had to get it from another location (but only after a 2nd level manager told them to do so). I'll have to go back and check to see if it is now back on display. The fact that they have never removed it from the web site might also be of significance.

I think they are sitting on a good supply - maybe even one of Kyo's last production runs?? - and are trying to belt them out. The retail cost dove from $650 to $300 recently, so it sounds like they are still accepting shipments. Gone is Graffitti2 thank goodness, tho I am re-learning Graffitti's punctuation. The 7135's are live in stores that got major makeovers with the switch in branding 3 months ago. And with a $300 no-contract price tag, some of us may want to go get a spare!!

thaxman, I am confused. Alltel is advertising the 7135 for $200 not $300. I paid only $200 for mine. Also, I don't understand the comment about Graffitti2 being gone. My 7135 has Graffitti2.

$200 is the contract xtnsn price. Alltel, like some other companies, like Verizon, allow you to purchase their phones at the price they bought them for - retail or no contract price. The 7135 was introduced at $850(retail)/$650(2yr) and has been dropping in price for 2 1/2 years. I just hope that they don't put all their faith in the Blackberry, elimintating all other PDA phones.
    As far as Graffitti, I have seen at least 3 versions of the phone sold thru Alltel - the orig - Graffitti2, no Brew apps; almost a year ago I saw one w/Graffitti2, with Axcess Apps (why??...) and the one I have which came with Alltel's software from the Radio shack warranty center has Graffiti, no Axcess Apps. But my new one has different setting levels for contrast/brightness qnd appears to have the "bug" mentioned in other posts where my old one did not.

Good point about the contract price. I have been with Alltel so long I keep forgetting about the contract. My 7135 has no Axcess Apps capability but it does have Graffitti2. When I inquired about the Axcess Apps, the Alltel technical guys said it should have it and the phone needed reprogramming at the store. When I went to the store they claimed that the 7135 never supported Axcess Apps and they had no programming to make that happen. In any case, none of the Axcess Apps I was interested in (weather with RADAR images) would run on the Palm OS, so I forgot about it and used an Internet browser to see the weather. It would appear that buying "used" 7135s can be a real crap-shoot as far as the software they contain is concerned. I am assuming that older units could be reprogrammed to bring the software up to the latest level.

When I was looking into the phone-PDA issue, Alltel customer service said the Treo 650 would be available in July or August. The 2nd level manager who got my 7135 for me said they were wrong and that there were no plans in place to qualify the Treo. For now it appears the the only phone-PDAs from Alltel are the Blackberry (yuk) or the 7135.

Ditto on the Blackberry. I am seriously considering watching alltel.com for the day the 7135 is removed, and running next door (I work next to the store...can you believe it?) and getting the last one for a spare before they gather them to ship them away!
    They had considered the Samsung i600(?? - the Windows-Mobile one) last year even though its digital only, like the Blackberry, so the digital-only Treo doesn't sound that far-fetched anymore, esp since it does so well on Verizon's network and Alltel is all about compatibility now. Who knows...wait & see.

Well, in Feb. of 2008 cellular service providers will no longer be required by the FCC to support the existing analog services. I would guess that shortly thereafter it will be an all digital world and the phones that currently work with analog will have some unused circuitry on board. At least, unlike my OnStar car phone, the 7135 will still work.

Well, I just stopped in to the Alltel store in my area. The Alltel version of the AUDIOVOX PPC-6700 will be available for Alltel customers at the end of November 2005. It will be called the PPC-6800. Its time to lay down your Palm based phones, and join the Windows Mobile Dark Side.........
    The Kyrocera was a good device, but next to a unit like the Audiovox (AKA HTC Apache) it does not stand a chance.
    Sliding keyboard, Built in WI FI, 1.3 megapixel camera, Built in bluetooth.....

My $500.00 phone does a million things! Your $400.00 Ipod only does ONE!

Originally posted by riggy
    My $500.00 phone does a million things! Your $400.00 Ipod only does ONE!
    THAT made me laugh. I like it.

I have to admit, I stole it from another PDA user, but I don't remember who.

Actually, this doesn't really emphasize the problem sufficiently. I only paid $200 for my 7135 and it not only has all the music I want on it (like an iPod), it's a PDA and a cell phone too.

Smile Yes- Alltel will activate

I recieved my Kyocera 7135 a week ago from E-bay.
    I went to the Alltel dealer in Hermitage, MO and they activated the ophone with no problem. NOTE: The phone must be unlocked and previously used by an Alltel customer ( per the dealer )

I hope this helps!

John Wooten
    Sgt. Major
    "When you have nothing to say, say nothing."

converged slap happy

Alltel PPC-6700 not PPC-6800

Some guys were freaking out saying that the PPC-6800 was already out to replace the PPC-6700. Not true. Check out Alltel's site. They call it the UT Starcom 6700.

Guys keep in mind it's not Audiovox anymore. Its a HTC phone being sold by UT Starcom.

http://www.alltel.com/phones/audiovox/6700.html

It looks like they are in the middle of a brand name change, but you can still get to them by www.audiovox.com.

converged slap happy
    your right. All the old phones are still supported by Audiovox. However all the new phones are only on UT starcom. You won't find the PPC-6700 on Audiovox site.