+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP! 7135 Died and I'm Not Ready to Let Go!

Left my phone to charge last night and this morning it's dark, an inert piece of plastic.

Went to the V store and they told me to call insurance. They couldn't even test the battery.

As I bought this on eBay less than six months ago, I really, really hate to go over to the dark side and get a 650 which, they say, is an inferior phone. Less well integrated and, as I recall, no voice dialing. I think.

Is there any troubleshooting to be done, or should I wait for a shrinkwrapped item to show up on eBay (this one was NOT shrinkwrapped, although new -- probably a lapse of judgement on my part).
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

A few months ago, I got an email from Kyocera stating that they had Vzw 7135s for sale - through Cell Star - $200. Might be worth a Google or 2.

Link

Here you go:

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135.../7135_sale.pdf

...and for $189.

Troy

Glumly Grateful

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I bought this fone about 6 months ago, so am squeamish about reinvesting, at least if it can be helped, in a fone that can be "twitchy".

I was hoping there was a way to troubleshoot the one I have. I have taken the battery out and intend to leave it for a day or so to see if bleeding off any capacitance might revive it.

Also, could it not be the battery?

Man, I cooled my heels literally for years until I felt I could pop for a 7135, and finally my 6035 gave out, so Ebay, HERE I COME. 6 months later, I own a plastic rock.

The foregoing whine was brought to you by the employeess and executives of Kyocera.
    Don Cook

Long shot, but worth a try...

I had a problem that sounded like yours, several months ago. Turns out that the charger cradle died in the middle of the night. While I thought my battery was charging, the already low battery continued to discharge. I didn't hear the low battery warning beeps and the phone was dead in the morning. If you have the Kyocera car charging cable, try charging it in your car. You also might try swapping out the battery for a spare if you already have one.

If this doesn't work . . . never mind!

Good Luck. I hope it's just something simple to fix.

bk
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Krazman,

Thanks, I tried my car charger and no joy. I may be up a creek here. I left it overnight without either battery or charger, and am going to try again later today.
    Don Cook

Try charging the battery in the back of the charger. Take the battery out of the phone and place in the back of the cradle charger. I recently thought my phone was dead, and tried this, and my phone has been working great ever since.

Lightbulb VOATMJ1 Rocks!

Originally posted by VOATMJ1
    Try charging the battery in the back of the charger. Take the battery out of the phone and place in the back of the cradle charger. I recently thought my phone was dead, and tried this, and my phone has been working great ever since.
    WOW what a helpful suggestion! Tried it yesterday evening, right after reading your post, with a healthy (actually unhealthy) portion of skepticism and depression and this A.M. the red light on the charger was flashing. Hm.

Took out the battery, slapped it back into the phone, and my 7135 started booting right away. After the usual folderol, I hotsynched and am now back in business.

Practically a miracle. I want to have your baby. Oops. I'm a guy. Oh, well. I'll settle for thanking you again.

Don.
    Don Cook

woo hoo! Way to go, VOATMJ1!
    So Don, you didn't go and already order a replacement did you?
    So: you can't charge with the car charger or with the cradle... sounds like the plug contacts on the phone are not making contact. ... I once had a similar problem when a old cell phone fell in some Salsa (don't ask). When I dissasembled the phone and looked at the plug contacts they had tarnished and were gummed up with, ahem. cilantro. ... sounds like you'll need to dissasemble your phone and look at the plug contacts.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Re: VOATMJ1 Rocks!

Originally posted by DCookinLB
    WOW what a helpful suggestion! Tried it yesterday evening, right after reading your post, with a healthy (actually unhealthy) portion of skepticism and depression and this A.M. the red light on the charger was flashing. Hm.

Took out the battery, slapped it back into the phone, and my 7135 started booting right away. After the usual folderol, I hotsynched and am now back in business.

Practically a miracle. I want to have your baby. Oops. I'm a guy. Oh, well. I'll settle for thanking you again.

Don.
    Sounds like you may need a new battery. When it is fully charged, the light should have been green, and not a flashing red. I suspect that your battery may be defective, but who knows, with more and more recharges, it may correct itself. Good luck.

Oh yeah... a flashing red light means "battery fault" according to the description of the indicator light on the sync cradle.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Oh yeah... a flashing red light means "battery fault" according to the description of the indicator light on the sync cradle.
    mg
    Welp. VOATMJ1 still rocks, as does McGuzzy. My batter gets to a pretty good charge and then tanks with red blinking, and it looks for all the world like I will need a new battery, not a Treo 650 for a $50 deductible. Thanks to both of you I see what can be done about it: get a new battery, and in the meantime, charge it with the landline charger, separately.

Life is good.
    Don Cook

OOOOoohhh NOOOoooo!!!

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    mg
    Welp. Got a new battery (really fast service, BTW) and tried charging with my cradle, in the "spare battery" position, and still have a flashing red light.

I hope there's another suggestion that will get this along. Could it be the cradle itself? I can't charge on my car charger, either.

When I try to use the phone while charging on the car charger, it locks up and requires battery removal to get it going again.
    Don Cook

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    It could be the cradle or the power supply connected to the cradle causing the problem.
    Michael

If you need another 7135, let me know as I have one I no longer use and I only used it for 7 months before getting the 650.

ron@networknerds.biz

Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
    It could be the cradle or the power supply connected to the cradle causing the problem.
    Silvr,

I thought of that, too, but haven't much of a good way to test it, except: when I try to use the phone when connected to the car charger, the phone hangs up and won't restart without VERY radical moves, i.e. remove the battery which dumps the entire phone, memory, etc.

Never a good sign.
    Don Cook

RATS!

My backlight just turned itself off and won't turn on again. No idea why, but I'm about to admit that this phone isn't going to work.

Although a soft reset turned the light on again, nothing else that SHOULD have done it, did it (i.e., opening and closing).

I hope someone has an idea. I really, really hate to give up this phone that is in every way BUT RELIABILITY nearly perfect for me, for one that is only OK.

Thanks.
    Don Cook

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    I have a Verizon 7135 and a whole bunch of accessories for sale in the Garage Sale forum. I've upgraded to a Treo 650, so I don't use the 7135 any more. When I was using it, it worked very well and was reliable.
    Michael

Originally posted by ChiefNerd
    If you need another 7135, let me know as I have one I no longer use and I only used it for 7 months before getting the 650.

ron@networknerds.biz
    Chief,

It doesn't sound bad, if mine is truly lunched, but my concern is of course whether Verizon will register it or not. Any ideas?

Don.
    Don Cook

I have a Verizon 7135 and a whole bunch of accessories for sale in the Garage Sale forum. I've upgraded to a Treo 650, so I don't use the 7135 any more. When I was using it, it worked very well and was reliable.
    Silvr,

If mine truly doesn't work, that isn't a bad idea but of course the concern is whether, at this late date, Verizon will register it.
    Don Cook