+ Reply to Thread

How to view local (card) MHTML or HMTL files?

I am seeking suggestions on how to view these file types from an SD card on the 7135.

I have a LOT of project and general reference material available in HTML and MHTML formats that I would very much like to make use of. It would be kind of like carrying my own Wiki around with me.

I have been going crazy attempting to find a means of reading M/HTML files from a card on my pair of 7135's. I have searched multiple forums and the general internet using Google too.

The only things I have found so far deal with vaporware PalmOS6 or some Arm specific PalmOne browsers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Obviously it would be difficult and undesirable to use a proxy to accomplish this (I'd rather not take the MOU hits during the peak hours! If I was going to go online, I'd have to set up some online secure web pages). So that may rule out many browser solutions.

Hmm - do browsers that use proxies use them only for graphics, other special features (SSL?), or even for regular html?

The IDEAL solution would allow viewing of MHT (MHTML) files - MIME'd version of HTML, where the HTML, graphics, CSS, and script files are embedded all into a single file and references revised to point to the MIME'd resources. They can be created by IE or by Outlook Express, and many versions of and apps in MS Office can handle them too. MHT files make it far less cumbersome to copy and move around complete web pages.

But having at least the ability to view HTML files is soemthing. Obviously having GIF and JPG support would be preferable to not - even if that means "it" launches another viewer to help "it" do so.

Since Outlook Express handles MHTML files, I am wondering if SnapperMail or some other high end email program supports them. The next questions would be would it support them from CARD, without saving them in a PDB native form of some kind?

I know some browsers will allow you to save web pages to card. The recent version of Xiino does - but it saves them in some specially formatted PCA file from all that I can tell. That would still require me to download to files via browser off the net to accomplish this. Unless I could use a different network setting and aim it at the PC's hard drive over a serial/USB connection??? That would be cumbersome compared to SD cards, but is it an option where no other exists?

Doesn't it figure?

Not long after I posted this, after a few weeks looking, I found a partial answer -

PocketLink.

A few versions back the ability to read html files from card was added. And I think to write them - haven't tested that yet.

Unfortunately, the program is a bit difficult to work with - the manual is grossly out of date, the user interface leaves a great deal to be desired in both intuitiveness and usability.

Selecting a file to view is quite a pain - PocketLink appears to lack any type of card directory viewer, and even worse doesn't seem to support Palm Exchange Manager for volunteering to "handle" html files so you can't use your favorite file manager and launch an html file in PocketLink from there.

<rant>
    I don't understand how Xiino, PocketLink, and other programs can possibly overlook this aspect of programming on a Palm?!?

I mean, memory cards have been around, and in Palm's, for a LONG time!
    And concepts like a registry or associations or Exchange Manager are not new with PalmOS6, nor 5! Even the venerable 6035 with OS3 had a register!
    </rant>

If someone can show me how to have PocketLink launched from a file manager utility, Please let me know.

Meanwhile, I will still hunt for support of MHTML...

Hmm, I wonder if a Palm utility could be (easily?) written to read a MHTML file and GENERATE a directory of files and subdirectories of HTML files and graphics files and such? Then a user could be run it before viewing the file via PocketLink or whatever. You would need to clean up afterwards by deleting the temporary card files and directories, but at least it might be do-able!

I suggest not using MHTML files. They are a proprietary microsoft format.

Use FireFox's Save Complete Page feature, which will create the HTML file and then a folder with all of the images and such. This can then be copied to the card.

-av

MIME'd HTML - Not proprietary

Actually, IETF had been working on MIME'd HTML files for some time. I don't have references handy, but there were at least a couple of RFC's out on developing this standard.

Of course, MS took the ball and ran with it - I can't tell how closely they followed the IETF's efforts other than in concept.

MS has MHTML support in Outlook Express, IE, and many of the MSOffice apps.

As does Firefox, MSIE also supports saving "the complete" web page as a conglomeration of files and sub-directories, and has for sometime.

There is a DISTINCT advantage to having a SINGLE file archive of a web page. For instance, email is a major pain dealing with a main file plus supporting files, where the supporting files are not to be in the same folder. Typically this requires zipping or other some other archiving of the "archived" files. Of course, grabbing the main HTML file without the supporting sub-directories of files is a very common error, and leaves the recipient with what is often a far less than satisfactory rendering.

Additionally, MHTML is supportive of capturing MULTIPLE web pages into a single file - like gathering a manual or reference that is broken into multiple chapters with a separate html per chapter all into a single file with the links re-referenced to internal attachments or MIME objects.

Lastly, MHTML is capable of supporting MIME'd attachments of compressed supporting files if size is an issue. The compression could be supported transparently by the browser - though I don't know if any browser are currently supporting this or not.