+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Rest in Peace: 7135- I will mourn for u

Dear forum,

Sadly, I have to report today, that on September 29th 2005, my last Kyocera 7135 has died. I have owned over 5 different 7135's since 2001.

But, today after speaking with Verizon Data Support, I will be receiving a Treo 650 in the mail very soon.

As a result, over the next month or so, I will enter a period of mourning.

It was back in 2001-2002, when I first purchased my very first Kycocera 7135 for over 500$ (It had just been released the day I bought it in NYC). Over the years since that time, I have gone through roughly 5 different 7135's, all replaced for free by either my phone insurance or more recently through my carrier, Verizon.

I don't know what I can really say at this point. It's been love for roughly 4 years. Over the years, i've had people tell me that I was crazy, mad, nuts, addicted - people could simply never understand why I took such good care of my baby. I even had a girlfriend that I spent less time playing with compared to my 7135.

But, all of them are now gone, with their cruel, nasty comments and rolling eyes, they are no longer here. Most of them could not understand why I cherished it so. It was truly the longest relationship of my life, the only one that really meant something to me. But now, I must move on. I still have an old 7135 (probably my 3rd or so) left over from 2003, scratched, dented, and hurt, that I never sent back to Verizon. And although it is virtually destroyed and will never turn on again, I will turn it into a work of art, possibly a memorial to the 7135, somewhere in my apartment. I have yet to decide what to do for her.

What I now know for certain is that I've never in my life had so much difficulty in letting go of something, not even a person. And it is for this very reason that I stayed my ground when my friend's said:

"J, When you getting rid of that old piece of sh-t, when you gonna upgrade and get something with new technology you moron...what's wrong with you?! Why do you put up with that crappy phone!..."

Yet, I stood strong and supported the sheer excellence of the 7135 and it's advanced features, and how it still outweighs the competition. Sadly now, I have no choice through Verizon. I must give in. I call it my last stand, but I have reached the end and I must let go.

I will hope and pray that a new version 7135 (maybe an 8135) emerges soon. When this happens, I will drop everything and do whatever it takes to get one, even if I have to pay $800 or more. To me, the 7135 is priceless. It is godly. I will miss it. My love. It never dies. Oh, I will miss it but I will not die along with it. I will only hope and pray. You are my true love. Forever, I love you.

Kyocera 7135, May You RIP

Respectfully,

J
    Last edited by hirschnet; 10-10-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Question Possible solution

I am like you, brother. I've had my 7135 since May of 2002, and I've carried it with me virtually every day and everywhere since then. Last week, for the first time, it started freezing whenever I pressed the navigation button. I tried a lot of things before I realized that this was the problem, I even disassembled it and cleaned it. Ultimately, though, it became clear that I need parts.

There is a guy who claims to repair the 7135. If the phone board is defective, then your ESN changes and Verizon apparently (according to this board) lies to you about e911, etc. to get you onto another phone. But if the problem is with the PDA board, the keyboard, screen, or virtually anything other than the phone board, it can be repaired and Verizon need never know.

My phone was shipped out to this guy today. *If* it comes back fixed and he seems to have been on the level, I'll recommend him. But I would much rather pay some guy to fix my 7135 than switch to a Treo for free. (For all the same reasons others have lamented and one more I've not seen -- I don't wear a watch, so the 7135 top display is how I check the time. I'd prefer not to have to pull a calculator sized object out of a pouch to check the time.)

With fingers crossed,
    Another 7135 Devotee

The 7135 is roughly my 5th cellphone, and my third PDA.

Despite having recently transferred my service to the second 7135 I bought off Ebay due to the first one going SRCP on me, it's still one of the best tools around.

When someone sees me pull up my daily schedule on the thing the reaction is still universal amazement...and there aren't many electronic items that can elicit that sort of a response 4 years after their introduction.

A great idea, a great phone, though perhaps a slightly flawed implementation. I'll continue to use 7135s as long as my present cell carrier will support them and my insurance plan will continue to replace them.

I miss you my 7135. I miss you. I just received my treo 650 and I miss you now more than ever.

It's such a good tool, and such an excellent implementation, I find it hard to believe that Kyocera wouldn't have taken the time and trouble to release a bug free successor.

Thanks to the second SRCP failure I'm now on a Samsung i600 which is by any measure an inferior phone.

Old Mil,

Very true. I'm shocked that they would not improve upon the 7135 and release something new. But it seems they are out of the business. But can anyone confirm this fact? maybe they realilzed they were getting destroyed by the competition.

Any thoughts?

So Kyocera is out of business entirely? Or they have abandoned the cellphone business? Or specifically PDA phones?

Kyocera is Very Much in the cell phone handset business.
    But they have distinctly left the smartphone business.

I suspect they have abandon smartphones once the 7135 was not picked up by Sprint. They spent A LOT of time and energy getting VZW to accept the 7135. When Sprint did not pick up this phone as they and VZW had the 6035, their ROI probably ran a river of red ink.

With the next version requiring yet another PalmOS version to appear to be "current" (seems like POS5 was out when the 7135 was seeking carriers), and all the additional work that entailed, and with competition from Handspring and from Samsung and from increasingly capable non-smart phone handsets, or heaven forbid having to fight to get even one carrier to support it(!), they just threw in the towel on smartphones and focused on simpler products with quicker development times and better ROI.

Samsung also left the Palm smartphone arena several months ago - for probably similar reasons. Sprint did not accept their i550 Palm based smartphone, after dragging out the evaluation phase far far far too long for a consumer electronics device ( for which obsolescence hits not long after the hardware first hits the store shelves). Do note that while Samsung left the PalmOS smartphone market, they are very active with smartphones using Microsoft's operating systems.

I, and many others, feel that the US wireless carriers really exert FAR too much dominating power and control over the phone manufacturers. The time has come for the cellular hobbled FCC to step in and push the certification of cell phones out of the carriers hands and into a third party organization. Open specifications need to be established for the design of handsets so designers can build products that can compete freely in the marketplace, and not be beholden to select few carriers' internal marketing/political agendas. Let the consumers drive the market, buying timely products they want, pre-certified to operate on any CDMA carrier (VZW, Sprint, etc), or any GSM carrier (Cingular, etc). This is a next logical step since the FCC finally ensured folks can transport their cell number - now let folks transport their phones within one or the other of two groups of carriers, groups based on the common technology they are using.

I could write a thesis on what I have seen about compatibility, but basically, that was the true intention of 3G - to pick one global frequency, one global medium and operating system based on CDMA, but using GSM strongpoints. But this fizzled out, and until Sprint dumps Java, the no one else's CDMA phones will be accepted by Sprint. This is the company that PIONEERED the on-demand application - like fee-based games & ringtones. Most everyone else uses Qualcomm's BREW, and as long as this divide exists, there will be no carryover, because all companies want customers to buy media from them, whether intentionally or by mistake. That boosts their bottom line and replenishes the $$ missing from collection roaming charges. Personally, I would love to be able to make my own decisions about chich CDMA phone I want & who I want to use it on. One day....

Nothing should prevent companies from selling, and you loading, software to run on your phone. Doesn't matter if it is Java, BREW, .NET, or something not even conceived of yet.
    It could be written, or commissioned, by the carriers.
    But it should NOT BE MANDITORY.
    The phone came with its mandatory, industry standard features, in its original certified software.
    Software downloads would be for extra services or features, which could be carrier specific.
    If you want to switch carriers, then you should be able to wipe that software off your phone, go into a competitors shop or web site and re-register your phone.
    No more holding their subsidy of their "required to purchase" handset version over your head as a means of locking you in, which was the original basis for the high contract termination fees.
    No more kowtowing of handset manufacturers to every whim and fickle fad of the carriers, desperate for one or hopefully more carriers to approve of their design.

The point is to allow companies like Kyocera and Samsung and their products (smartphones included) to compete in an open consumer driven free market, and not groveling to be admitted to some smelly dimly lit back room in the bowels of a carrier's complex for "further negotiations".

I agree entirely. The good news is that the S. Korean companies, and Kyocera, pretty much already use standardized charging cords/specs, and data connections. If everyone used 1 standard data jack and power jack, the wiping & rewriting process would be easier, but I am certain there will always be a handset blacklist for each carrier as each mfr always will make some crappy equipment that underperforms in all aspects. Maybe it will take a grassroots movement going to the governments of N. America and the manufacturers to allow consumers to purchase unconcessed stripped CDMA phones direct then walk into the carrier of choice to activate. Alltel already has a no contract rule when you bring in your own phone, but they are trying to win unhappy customers by being revolutionary.

I think you missed the point - for such a system to be implemented, the carriers could NOT blacklist certified phones and refuse to provide basic services.
    Under the proposed system, the third party certifying organization could strip a phone of its certification, requiring either a software update or a hardware recall.

I recommended the 7135 to my boss - before I ever got one for myself. He has had his longer and loved it, until it broke (I think it was his 2nd or 3rd one) and he has the free Treo 650.

After a week with his new phone his comment sums it up:

"The 7135 was a phone that was also a PDA, the 650 is a PDA than you can make phone calls on.".

The funniest comment I heard was a waiter at a restaurant when I laid my 7135 on the table. "That is the largest flip-phone I have ever seen!". When I showed him it was a color screen Palm PDA and a phone he instantly went from thinking I had some old-tech huge phone to a sleek PDA beauty .

Dennis

Well, if there will be some authority removing bad phones from the mix, then OK, I agree entirely, ReadOnly.