+ Reply to Thread

free upgrade to Treo but need $500/yr

Verizon has sent me a treo 650 but tells me that I must have the always on $45 per month data plan since it check email every ten minutes.

Is there anyway to get around this? At that rate, it is cheaper to send it back.

Would I be better off switching carriers?

Verizon is jerking your chain. They probably make a lot of money off gullible people who fall into those contrived traps. You do not even have to have an active Internet connection if you don't want it. In any case, I have heard that Verizon no longer supports the inexpensive low-speed Internet service where you pay-by-the-minute. That being the case, you are faced with an expensive ($45/month) Internet connection or no Internet at all. How often any particular e-mail program checks for new e-mail is not a factor. Alltel still provides low-speed pay-by-the-minute service.

"In any case, I have heard that Verizon no longer supports the inexpensive low-speed Internet service where you pay-by-the-minute. "

You are wrong about that.

Maybe they don't offer it, but it certainly is supported. I use QNC every day to check my e-mail and surf the web.

I am sure they are supporting the low-speed service for users that had it before they decided to try to get users off of it, but other threads have indicated that new users are being denied access. Maybe if cbarnett pitches a big enough fit, they will give him access.

I don't think its that the 14.4 connection isn't permitted, but that the 650 specifically CAN'T be used to browse at 14.4, but is hardwired to use 1X exclusively. Does anyone know if that is true? How about the 600?

Oh, yes, and the biggest complaint is that many Verizon 7135 veterans have been able to connect using 1X (40-80) but payed for it as if it was 14.4.

I set-up a qnc connection on my 650 and it works fine. Unforunately, I get charged the data rate for it, unlike I did under the 7135.

I thought the whole free upgrade from 7135 to the 650 was very generous by Verizon... I see now it was really a trap to get me to pay for data. And there is no cheap data option.

I'm actually thinking of switching to Sprint now... they have a much cheaper $10/month data plan.

Originally posted by thaxman
    I don't think its that the 14.4 connection isn't permitted, but that the 650 specifically CAN'T be used to browse at 14.4, but is hardwired to use 1X exclusively. Does anyone know if that is true? How about the 600?

Oh, yes, and the biggest complaint is that many Verizon 7135 veterans have been able to connect using 1X (40-80) but payed for it as if it was 14.4.
    The 7135 is not hardwired to connect at any particular speed for browsing. ...
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I think the bottom line is that the hardware is not the problem. The problem is the service provider. Based on recycle's post, thaxman got the "biggest complaint" backward. New Verizon customers can connect using the low-speed interface, but will still pay as if connected using the high-speed interface. This is apparently true for new customers no matter what type of hardware they are using (7135, 600, or 650).

Oooooohhhhhhh....so it is a BILLING fix that Verizon did!! Now ANYTHING that registers as a data call on a Smartphone is billed at the data rate regardless of the connection. Oh, that's DIRTY!

What I don't get is why VZW in their infinite stupidity charge $15 for VCAST including hi-speed video and unlimited mobile web 2.0 (which is $5) but charge $45+ for dataplans on PDAs, especially when (as mentioned above) sprint charges $10 or so.

I'd get a new phone (using 7135 now) and pay $15 if I could have hi-speed data and videos, or even hi-speed select sites and videos and low-speed other stuff...

regardless, until VZW gets a good flip PDA phone, I'm waiting...

guys, i posted this like last week or something:

guys,

just spoke to verizon and they are now offering great plans for those data users out there. i think they are called max plans or something but they are offering great bundled options for ppl.

they have some plan for 79.99 that offers 1350 minutes, free night weekends, free in network, that includes unlimited data!!!!

this is great for those kyocera 7135 users that didnt want to switch to a 650 (even for free!) due to separate phone and date plans options recently.

well it seems to have changed. call these numbers for more info:

800-922-0204
    'ask about 'max plans' , i believe it was called.
    866-788-9387 is the data services number.

hey hirshnet--thanks, but if you do the math, it does not work out

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Sort&catId=448

use link above and enter your zip code

lists the $79.99 plan with 450 min, unlimited NW & data

so, that's like paying $40 for data ($5 discount) on top of AC-450 $39.99

same plan w/1350 minutes is $109.99--probably a $7-$10 data discount

a good start, but given VCAST charges $15 and sprint's $10, it just does not cut it.

As an aside, just cause it's a small world, are you from Westchester County, NY?

then the link is wrong. it's not on the site. you gotta call them.

$79.99 for unlimited data, 1350 minutes, free nights and weekends, etc.

call them.

here's what i found out:

voice and data choices/plans:

$39.99: 450 anytime. unlimited data.
    $79.99: 1350 minutes, unlimited data.
    $149.99: 4000 anytime, unlimited data.

Last edited by hirschnet; 10-10-2005 at 05:41 PM.

I don't suppose there is an equivalent family or share plan?
    They have Really been dragging their feet on share plans with data - not that they are exactly QUICK on coming up with non-share plans with data!!!

hirschnet -

I did call them.

And they quoted EXACTLY the prices for EXACTLY the anytime minutes you gave. The 4000 minute plan even had the word "max" in the name.

BUT...

ALL OF THESE HAVE ADDITIONAL CHARGES TO ADD UNLIMITED DATA TO THE ACCOUNT!!!!!

Add $40 to the $39.99 plan for $79.99/mo.
    Add $30 to the $79.99 plan for $109.99/mo.
    Add $20 to the $149.99 plan for $169.99/mo.

Great deals - NOT!!!

You had better get on the phone (perhaps a couple of times with different CSR's) and recheck the details of your plan! Otherwise, you might have a very unpleasant surprise at your month's end.
    ( IF they are giving you the unlimited data for free, you'll have to get more information identifying the plans so others can follow suit. )

BTW, they still do not have any integrated voice and data shared plans. You pick a share plan, then add on, PER LINE, a limited or unlimited data plan. The latter is $45 or $50 depending on how much money your spending for voice.

All of these options stink to high heaven.

For non-business consumers with smartphones, the only real affordable option is to look at flipping to Sprint, provided their coverage is adequate for you, or that you can live with their funky add-on service requirements allowing you to use VZW towers a "minority" of the time. Further benefits include allowing you to buy down the free nighttime period from 9PM to 7PM for $5 or even 6PM for $10.