+ Reply to Thread

7135 Charging Woes

This behavior, on a phone that otherwise works pretty well (knock on wood) , is pretty odd.

I was having some problems, so first of all, I removed all the extraneous (non-stock) programs. I turned it off, took the battery out and let it sit for a couple of days to get rid of any stray capacitance that was wandering around, and then took a fully recharged battery and installed and since then only one problem shows up:

When I try to charge the phone in the cradle (I have two) it seems instead to DIScharge the battery. In the morning the phone is dead, dead, dead.

I have to put in a different battery. It takes a new synch, with desktop overwriting handheld, to get it going again with all the phone and calendar info.

When I use the car charger, the same thing happens. Dead phone, have to replace the battery with a charged one.

I infer that it is the phone itself that is at fault: It won't permit charging a battery when attached to the phone. A hardware problem that maybe can't be fixed and I will just have to use the separate charger in the cradle.

Does anyone have experience with this one?

Thanks.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

I had that issue on one of my phones. I called Verizon and they replaced it.

The only way I could keep it going was to charge batteries separate. It was weird.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

Originally posted by Hdhntr23
    I had that issue on one of my phones. I called Verizon and they replaced it.

The only way I could keep it going was to charge batteries separate. It was weird.
    And don't hold your breath 'til VZN sends me another 7135 NOW. Nor am I anxious to tote around a 650.

I do what you said you did, and as you apparently found, it is fairly satisfactory. There were two things else I failed to mention, in case someone else looks at this:

1. When I charge the battery using the cradle, separately, no matter which battery I use (I have 3 now), I get a red flashing light when it's more or less done.

2. Sometimes when I put the phone in the cradle attached to my office computer, it turns WinXP off, black screen and a frozen computer, and I have to turn the computer off and on again to get it to reboot.

Other than that, it seems to run OK. I'm hoping to hold out 'til the new dataphone comes out (the one that opens like a cigar box & has two screens & a larger qwerty -- can't remember the name just now).
    Don Cook

OK. It gets worse.

I just ordered a new charger because mine wasn't working (when I fully charged a battery, the cradle light started slowly blinking red. I'm told on this forum that it should show green. More recently, the pilot light went out and won't come on).

Now, the new charger makes the cradle blink fast red as soon as I plug it in. No idea whether it is charging, going daft or plugging leaks in the Ninth Ward levees.

Christ! This is an awful situation.
    Don Cook

Don-

Check the battery contacts in your cradle to make certain no dust or debris is shorting out the contacts.

This happened to me once when my cat blew lunch on my old startac cradle.

You may need to purchase a new cradle to go with your new charger. The problems it is causing with your PC would make me think it is the cradle, not the charger.

I know it's a long shot. Good Luck!

bk
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Also, check all 3 of your batteries for thickness fluxuations btw. the outside edges & the center. If any are thicker in the center, they are not good - the cells exploded inside.

OK, after some good suggestions, here is where I am now:

1. Charger had died so bought a new one. NEVER buy Chinese crap. It's crap, as well as being nearly treasonous. Just my opinion.

2. New charger didn't work at all on one cradle, so tried with second one. Worked fine, for charging separate batteries only!. This was a great piece of progress, as I didn't have a working situation at all before.

3. When I try to charge a battery in the phone either in the "good" cradle or using the car plug-in, the battery appears to discharge, instead of charging. The phone dies with absolutely no power in it at all, and I have to reinstall everything after using either. And it occurs to me that since the two charging methods use different contacts (cradle vs. car charger), it probably isn't EXTERNAL contacts, at least.

4. As an aside, the only cradle that works for charging, sometimes freezes the computer when I plug it in to the USB port. At work, at least, haven't had the stones to try it at home.

So I have a somewhat workable situation, thus:

A. At home, a working charger for separate batteries, and a way to synch, if it doesn't reboot my computer.

B. At work, a reliable synch cradle, if I don't want to charge anything.

C. In the car, a worthless piece of plastic. We all need one, and I got mine!

I can live with this, if as they say, "is this all there is?" to have a 7135 that works pretty well otherwise. Maybe if it lasts a year or so there will be a better phone than the 650 to exchange it for.

If there are further suggestions, I promise to be grateful. I hesitate to test charging a battery in the phone again: how many times can my phone take being run down to zero? I don't know.
    Don Cook

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Check the Garage Sale forum for spare parts. In fact, I have a posting in there for my Verizon 7135 and accessories (including two cradles and three chargers). Use the Search function on this site to search the Garage Sale forum for my ID "SilvrDrgn".
    Michael

Silvr,

Thanks, but based on the evidence I see, that it fails to charge a battery in the phone when using both the cradle and the car charger, I think the phone has something internal wrong with it. And we all know what happens when you try to get a new 7135 onto VZW.

So I don't expect a new cradle will serve. And, I have no need to charge any batteries at work, since I have 3 now and my home cradle works OK with separate batteries. So my cradle situation, while crippled, will serve.

OTOH, I have found a way to cope with what I have pretty well, so having a 7135 for pretty cheap is rewarding. And, as I say, I can wait for the next innovation, prob'ly.
    Don Cook

The only reason a problem with the 7135 becomes a problem with Verizon is when the phone board is malfunctioning (requiring a new ESN which Verizon may refuse to register). Keyboard, screen, PDA, charging, etc problems can all be repaired.

See my post in "Verizon not registering new phones" thread for the guy who fixed my random crashes.

device,

You are a pithy person making a pithy point. I never, ever thought someone could actually fix it. And for a reasonable price.

Hm. I have to consider this. Thanks.
    Don Cook

DCookinLB, you haven't indicated whether the chargers, and/or cradles, and/or batteries you are using are Kyocera or some aftermarket off-brand. Other people have had numerous problems with non-Kyocera units. I personally would stick with OEM Kyocera units only.

One last thought... when you walk into your local Verizon store, they have all those live phones with power cords plugged into them. Go find a Samsung or LG phone, unplug it and plug the 7135 into it. If it discharges, then it is definitely internal, but you may be surprised to find it charges. Kyocera uses the same size, polarity & voltage plug as the Korean mfrs. If it works, one of those should (I hope) work with the cradle.

Originally posted by tedcmiller
    DCookinLB, you haven't indicated whether the chargers, and/or cradles, and/or batteries you are using are Kyocera or some aftermarket off-brand. Other people have had numerous problems with non-Kyocera units. I personally would stick with OEM Kyocera units only.
    tedc,

The car charger and the cradles are all Kyocera, at least by the markings.

The batteries, which all seem to function now, are: 1 Kyocera and 2 aftermarket, Chinese I regret to say. I hope never to buy anything Chinese again. Patriotic reasons first, then practical ones (they make c___, in my experience).

The "portable" charger, I'm not sure about. Probably aftermarket, but it's working just fine now.
    Don Cook

thaxman,
    One last thought... when you walk into your local Verizon store, they have all those live phones with power cords plugged into them. Go find a Samsung or LG phone, unplug it and plug the 7135 into it. If it discharges, then it is definitely internal,
    Hm. Interesting idea. It usually takes quite a while to discharge, a couple of hours, but if I started with a mostly-discharged battery, maybe they'd let me hang around?

I could help them make little lists of the people who come in the door, and call them in order according to the Urdu alphabet!
    Don Cook