+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SD Card

SD Card

I have the 7135 reference in PDF format, and searched for SD card, secure digital and the like, and can find no reference anywhere to the memory chip.

So, although I have one, I am limited in my ability to use it. I could copy all my files there for a backup, in File Manager, I guess.

I can download MP3s, apparently, using the software I downloaded from the Kyocera site.

But why don't they mention it in their doc? Just wondering.
    Don Cook
    Formerly Coming to You on my Much Missed 7135 by the Sea Now on a Shiny 700P

Welcome to the shrinking 7135 family. It is still a great little device - just be ready to browse through the forum to learn about the quirks people have identified and worked around over the years.

There's a lot of discussion on these matters elsewhere on the forum but volume of new postings has dropped off precipitiously.

I'll try to give some quick advice - don't use the MP3 loader program - it is painfully slow. Just use an SD card reader to load the MP3's into a /AUDIO/ directory on the card. I've got a 2 gig SD card with about 1.7 gigs of MP3s on it.

If you want to use it for MP3's, avoid the built-in MP3 player. Get KyoAmp or BeBopper - they are pretty similar in features and are the only ones that can work with the 7135. (I bought BeBopper before KyoAmp came out so I never compared them.)

For backups, there are quite a few backup programs that will do the job nicely. I chose BackupMan after trying a couple of others two years ago. It worked at least as well as the other programs for me and was cheaper. The developer also seemed responsible and concientious. Since then things may have changed - presumably new programs popping up. A lot of other people use BackupBuddy as well.

Tim

Oops. Just reread DCookinLB's original post and realized that you are a pdaphonehome veteran. Presumably it is the SD card that it is new for you.

The SD card has four fundamental uses for me:
    1. MP3's described earlier and only something which I've begun to use in the last few weeks.
    2. Automated nightly backups at 2 AM (saved me from hard crashes about a dozen times over 2.5 years)
    3. Running of programs (I use a launcer replacement, ZLauncher, that allows me move the program file and all of its associated files to the card. When it runs the shortcut, the first step is to copy all of the files to the palm's memory. Upon exiting the program, it copies to changes to card and removes them from memory. This is a great way of freeing up precious memory on the phone.
    4. Storing various data files on the card. (CIA World factbook, plucker files, dictionary files, etc.)

All in all, my 2 gig card reports 34 megs free.

ProfessorA, when you advised DCookinLB to "use an SD card reader..." I assume you mean a separate piece of hardware that would have to purchased in addition to the phone?

I would like to know what an SD card reader is too.
    What is a good on-line source to buy an SD card?
    Thanks!

Yes, a USB connected card reader will be MUCH faster than transferring files through the MP3 loader program. I don't recall the numbers but it seems like at least ten times faster. I bought a cheap one that fits into my 3.5" inch disk drive bay from newegg for about $25. Works great. Transferring a gig generally takes around 10 or 20 minutes.

I had a cheap SIIG 6 in 1 external card reader. Always had intermittent problems with it before completely died.

Here's a link at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=69 I don't recall which brand I got but it was pretty easy to install. I just opened the case, removed the plastic cover for the 3.5 inch bay, identified a USB pinout on my motherboard, connected the included cable and was good to go. Anyone not wanting to do that can just get a good external reader for about the same price. Try to get one capable of high speed USB 2.0 in either case.

Hope this helps. Just let me know if you want any more details.

ProfessorA,

Oops. Just reread DCookinLB's original post and realized that you are a pdaphonehome veteran. Presumably it is the SD card that it is new for you.
    I'm fairly new to the 7135, and mine isn't perfect. But not new, as you inferred, to the fora 'round here.

And I just got my SD Card.
    Don Cook

Card readers can be picked up at just about any electronics store.

Heck Ive even seen them in my local grocery store in the picture development counter case for sale.

Bestbuy, RadioShak $20 give or take.

Just make sure you get a SD card reader.
    Last edited by Hdhntr23; 10-11-2005 at 11:05 AM.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

I have an HP "Photosmart" printer with an SD reader buit in, (and 3 other media card types too) So it may as simple as plugging the card into the printer! Alot of new Dells have SD readers built into the front by the front USB jacks.

Just remember to create a directory called audio to drag your mp3s into. Otherwise the mp3 player of choice wont recognize the files.
    There is no spoon
    Neo can be spelled as One.

I got a Lexar JumpDrive Trio... it is a little portable SD card reader (like the Sandisk Cruzers) this alows me to use the SD card like a thumb drive as well.

DcookinLB'... the information in the manual about the SD slot is sketchy be design, IMO. The SD slot will read files and such from and SD memory card but it won't support the Full SD interface, like wifi cards, GPS's etc. (granted some of that is a limitation of the OS version as well). But I don't think kyocera wrote the interface to support anything but memory cards.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

And your camera, too, right, MGuzzy?

Yeah Yeah yeah and my camera, damn observant of you Thaxman
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Yeah Yeah yeah and my camera, damn observant of you Thaxman
    mg
    Mguzzy,

You have a camera that fits into the SD slot?

Holy crud! What a neat device. Resolution?
    Don Cook

Yup
    Its called the Veo Traveler. Here's a link to a review:
    http://www.computingunplugged.com/is...001053001.html
    Go to page to to see a pick of the 7135 with the Veo, or just look at my avatar. That's me taking a pic with my 7135 in a mirror, darn cleaver I thought. Anyway the this came out bakc in the day when the 7135 was the newest hottest phone and there were third party gizmos lining up to get plugged in...alas those were the days. In reality the processor is a little to slow to render the frame quickly so its hard to frame a shot. And the photos get stored in the main RAM until you transfer them off. The resolution is 640x480x24 bit color. I keep it as a fun toy for my 7135... and for those occasions when someone gives me sh*t about my fat phone and I go off on all the cool features it has... invariably they will say... does it take pictures... nyah!
    mg