+ Reply to Thread

Beware Ebay 7135s

Looks as if line insurance companies are wholesaling the phones that are returned to them and unscrupulous people on Ebay are selling SRCPed phones or phones that are near SRCPing. If you try and make an insurance claim against one you find out that the ESN number has already had a claim made for it and the phone that you have is the damaged unit.

I wouldn't buy a used 7135 on Ebay.

I just bought one. works fine!

The first one I bought "worked fine" for about three weeks and then went irretrivably SRCP. Making the insurance claim on that let me know about the ESN thing.

The second one I bought (different seller) as a spare went into the intermittant "searching/SRCP" mode a week after I had it activated to replace the first one.

who did you buy them from?

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. It fried itself when I inserted a battery that came with the phone.

The seller is supposedly going to replace it, but now I'm having doubts on whether or not Verizon will activate it. We'll see.

I've read that Verzion is even replacing eBay purchased phones with Treo 650s (posted in other threads here). I don't know if that is right or not. It might be sloppiness on CSR's part or just policy for Verzion to get the phones off the system. Seems odd though.

If my second one crashes, I'm going to give it up and go with something else.

Alan

It is more likely that when a phone goes SRCP the owner is telling the ins. company that the phone was lost and keeping it to sell on eBay, hoping to get the cost of the deductable back. The required police report in most cities is only a phone call, which a dishonest person would have no problem making since its not face to face w/a cop.

I would always request the esn of the seller IN ADVANCE of bidding & run the esn past the carrier's insurance company to make sure its not a prior claim.

VZW just replace my ebay bought 7135 with a new Treo 650. When they said they would replace it, I didn't ask any more questions.

I guess I got lucky. The 650's a nice phone, but I miss some features from my Kyo. like no delete all in the sms messages. and a few other software issues. Really I can't complain I got alomst a year of good service out of my 7135 and a fee $400 upgrade to a 650. You'll hear no *****ing from me.

Now to get back on the MOU plan for data