+ Reply to Thread

Help changing used 7135's Area Code

I bought a 7135 from ebay and I am trying to change the phones area code. It looks like the previous owner had an area code of 630, my area code is 847. I have to dial my area code even for local calls. I had a 7135 a year ago and when I sync'd my info back to this 7135 everything works great except for my speed dial and caller id. I have dialing options to always add the area code, but it adds 630 not 847. I can't select never and put it in the spot to add to every out going number dialed, cause it will add it to everything sometimes doubling the area code if dialed from my list of contacts. If I change the phone number listed in the programming mode The phone stops sending or recieving numbers. I have a lot of local contacts and I am just trying to save myself the trouble of having to go through all of to change .
    Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, calling Verizon is not an option, I am getting ENMOU and don't want the added attention on my account for them to see that they messed up.
    Last edited by pnypwr76; 10-12-2005 at 12:03 PM.

1st off- Is the phone number in The phone menu yours? Or is it (630) XXX-XXXX? If the latter, you have been using someone else's account and need to speak with Verizon for the esn change on your 847 account.
    But I assume that is not the problem, because it would just be too easy. What is not working about your caller ID?

Everything on the phone shows my number, except when I go into the programing mode. In there is the only place that shows that 630 number. It says CDMA phone number 630XXXXXXX but the directory number is my number. The AMPS (what ever that is) phone number is also the 630 number. I know I am using my account as calls are reflected on my bill and of course I get incomming calls with my 847 number. No info comes up on my caller ID execpt the number, no name. It doesn't match with any of my contacts. I had my old 7135 dial the area code automatically, so none if the numbers on my contact list have the area code listed. So since my phone thinks that the area code is 630 and my contact list thinks it is 847 nothing matched and the caller ID doesn't work. Hope this makes sence. kind of srewy but thats the way it is. never heard of this before.

OK, as long as you have NOT ported your ph# away from someone else (since you said you had a previous 7135, I assume you have always had Verizon) then both the CDMA # (Your REAL operational cellular#, called MSN for Mobile Serial Number) and your Directory # (MDN for Mobile Directory #) should be the same 847-XXX-XXXX. Since this sounds really screwed up, go back into programming, note your SID, then program NAM2 with the CDMA & Directory#s being your actual#, and SID being the # you noted. Your should not have to change anything else under NAM2, since it is rarely used and is probably still untouched from Kyocera. When it is stored, go back to Phone Prefs, Phone Service, then drop down on your ph# - you should see it twice. Pick the one that is NOT highlighted (should be the bottom one) and then do a *228, picking option 2 for the PRL update. You should be up & running and all this most likely can be accomplished w/o 1 call to Verizon

you rock! it worked. Thanks

btw, I had Verizon. Ported to Nextel, Was HIGHLY disappointed and had my number ported back.

7 years in wireless can be a benefit sometimes...you're welcome!

well I guess I was wrong. I cant make or recieve a call. I get the message saying that verizon can not authenticate my phone. Guess I am stuck. sux!

You know what? I just went through all my programming, and it dawned on me that if you ported from Verizon to Nextel & came back, Verizon may have required you to have a DIFFERENT MIN (true CDMA#) because, technically, you ported in. I think you may need to call them to get that 10 digit# (unless you still have an old phone around that you have used btw the time you came back & when you activated this 7135. If you don't & need to call them, make lots of threats stating you have left 1 time already, that you like your phone & US Cellular still supports it & if they pull any tricks or stunts, you are gone. (It helps if you spend $70/mo or more on 1 phone or $100/mo+ on 2, because you are more valuable) If you do have an old phone, PM me and I'll help you get what you need. In AZ, the FCC issued MINs to use for porting that were not related to the local area codes, so I can't imagine the 630# being the MIN issued after porting back. Do you know that#, though, just in case it is?

Your prob right about what they needed to do to port the number. Unfortunatly I need to keep VZ customer service out of it. I am afraid that as soon as I call them they will see that I am getting EN-MOU and I will loose it. Not that its blazing fast, just nice to have. I guess my only option is to spend hours changing my contact list. Thanks anyway.

Who programmed the phone after you got it from eBay, anyway?

I tryed to do it myself online but it wouldn't let me so I ended up calling them to add the phones esn to my account

On the subject of calling them, if you need to talk to someone experienced, call Tues-Fri btw 9-6, since thats when people with seniority choose their shifts, but in a case like this, when you want to talk to a newbie who barely knows how to operate their system & focusing on anything other than the question you ask may be too much to concentrate on, Sat/Sun eves are fabulous! (Cust svc, not tech support or anything considered a "step up" from cust svc)
    Just thought you may want to know....

I just might give that a try, thanks for your help

So did they make you *228 opt 1 to let the automated system OTA the phone or did they have you push the buttons? I am pretty knowledgable, and I stopped calling them for esn changes b/c they always treated me like an 80-year old woman. They got to the point where they wouldn't even let me go until I had confirmed calling *228 and they could see it in their software! I can tell you, if a phone is programmed properly, that is not neccesary. Another reason for switching to Alltel, too bad they're not up there.

Naw, they had me do the *228. I have done it many times before without calling them, for me as well as my friends. When I came back to VZ they had changes some options on their site and is asks for some stupid order number from the shipment. In otherwords it looks like they expect all the phones to have come from them. So after I messed around with it one night I ended calling them up. I was not to excited about calling them since I heard so many horror stories about them not acticating anymore 7135's. I don't have any problem calling them but I just don't expect too much from them.

Sorry nothing helped. I have always stored all my ph#s as 10-digit, since the cellular system doesn't penalize for "too much info", then I am always able to dial from the phone book when roaming, & I have never needed auto-area code. That's wierd, though because auto-area code should be based on the MDN, directory ph#. How odd.

yeah, oh well. I will just change them. Learn something new everyday. VZ must use some type of redirect in their system where my phone number is really that 630 number with an alias of my 847 number.

That's exactly what makes porting work. Or else your ph# would have been recognized as a Verizon ph# when you switched to Nextel & they would have rejected it. Instead you were given a Nextel MIN which was the man behind the curtain, per se, while everyone only saw your MDN. Without the MIN, roaming would be a dysfuncional nightmare!

well Nextel in general is a dysfunctional nightmare. just odd, guess its too much overhead to have the switching take place at VZ instead my phone has to do all the work and screw everything up. Thanks VZ