+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead 7135

Angry Dead 7135

Hi,

Just purchased a used 7135 from eBay. I was supposed to get a new battery with the phone, but got a used one instead. So I went out and purchased an aftermarket battery while waiting on the new one from the seller.

Today I got the *new* battery. It was in worse condition than the original one, but I charged it up in the hopes it would hold a charge longer than the first one.

Well, I powered down the phone, took out my new aftermarket battery, replaced it with the *new* battery... and NOTHING!

The phone is dead... it won't power up. The PDA won't come on. Nada. I tried a hard reset, but no luck.

Does this sound like it is FUBAR?

I e-mailed the seller in the hopes that he'll replace it. I haven't heard back from him yet. I like the phone, and would like to get another one... but I'm not too sure that it is worth all the hassle. The phone goes wonky if you try to use the phone while it is charging (requiring a reset), and other weirdness. But overall, I really like it and don't see anything that will come close to replacing it.

Any suggestions... diagnosis?

Thanks,

Alan

Was the PHONE supposed to be new or just the battery, it isn't clear in your post. Also, be sure to share with use the name of the fleabay seller since it sounds like someone we should avoid.

Some have reported problems with charging in the phone. Assuming you got the OEM cradle with the phone try charging the batteries in the cradle in the spare battery slot - but don't put the phone in the cradle. Once the batteries are charged - if they can be - then try them in the phone.

Dennis

Dennis,

The phone is used, but the battery was supposed to be new. It obviously wasn't (either the one that came with the phone or its replacement). I charged it up completely with the OEM charging cradle and then put it in the phone. At that point, the phone/PDA wouldn't work.

I'll wait to see how the seller handles this problem before posting who he is. I think he should get a chance to make it right. But if he doesn't, then all bets are off.

Alan

Dead

I woke up this morning and found that my 7135 is kapoof. The 'palm powered' logo is all that is on the screen, none of the buttons register, and the top display (next to the attenna) shows nothing but a checker board like display. It doesn't register when I plug it in to charge it; nothing, I can't even turn it off with the power button on the keypad. I have taken the battery out and put it in, I have soft and hard reset it and still nothing ..... anyone have any clue whats wrong with it or more importantly, how I fix it??

It actually sounds alittle like, Kermits problem in the post b4 this one.
    Last edited by icsilk; 10-16-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    What cellular service do you have? I still have my slightly used replacement Verizon 7135 and a bunch of accessories for sale. Check the Garage Sale forum.
    Michael

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Sounds like it died.
    Michael

It's gone. That's exactly what mine did last week. If I switched batteries, I could get it to come back for a bit. But if you flipped it open a couple of times, it died again.

Not much I could do and I suspect you'll find the same thing with yours. Sorry to say.

Repair it. It's easy to do yourself if you have parts, or contact this guy who repaired mine (replacing the PDA board) for $20:

hscarp at prismlink (net)

The only part that's not repairable/replacable is the phone board because this holds the ESN, and it's the ESN that Verizon has the handle on.

Sounds like the seller is going to come through. At least he wants me to send him back the phone and batteries for replacement. That is promising at this point.

He did admit that the auction was wrong in that he never intended to offer new batteries. Oh well... we'll see how it goes.

I miss my 7135 for all that I got to use it (about a week). I hate small phones that feel like came from a Cracker Jack box. Maybe I'll be able to get a good replacement (and Verizon will activate it). Maybe I'll just end up on the short, smelly end of the stick this time.

With all the talk about everyone going over to the Treo 650, I might just look at doing that. I can upgrade for $350 (I think). Too much for right now, but in the near future, maybe.

I'll keep you posted on what happens. If this guy is a good one, I'll let you know. If he's bad, I'll definitely let you know.

Alan

The original content of this post is deleted. For those who are excessively concerned about e-mail address in these posts, I would suggest that they not put them here at all, in any form, disguised or otherwise. Then you won't have a problem.
    Last edited by tedcmiller; 10-22-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Um, yeah, but I was trying to avoid having that on a site because now he'll be spammed to hell and back as spambots harvest his address . . .

OK. Sorry about that. I did not mean to mess up an intended obfuscation.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ReadOnly; 10-26-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Hmmm,

I sent back my phone and batteries to the seller via USPS priority on the 19th... got an e-mail from him this morning asking why I hadn't left a positive feedback on eBay.

I told him that when I got a functioning phone, I'd be happy to do so. But as of right now, I was out my $91 and a phone... that doesn't deserve a positive feedback.

Still no reply back from him. I'll keep everyone posted. I might have to actually post his username here to warn against doing business with him (I don't really want to do that if it isn't necessary).

Alan

I got a NEW phone from the guy on flebay that user device mentioned. I was going to pay the guy $20 + shipping to fix my flakey 7135, but decided to get an all new phone that I "won" at auction for $115 + shipping. I sent him my old 7135 and he swapped the phone boards between the two (so I still have the same ESN). The rest of phone is new and I he sent me a free car cord plus all the other stuff that came with my "new in the box" phone: new spare cradle, stylii, wall charger, and batteries (1 new, 1 used came with the phone), battery cover, software, etc.

My new 7135 works just fine and I am still on MOU with the same ESN as I have had since I got my phone

I have the old phone (with 0 minutes on it) for spare parts if I ever need something other than the phone board. Edit: the old phone has a different ESN - the same one as is shown on the 7135 box the new phone came in and NOT the same ESN as my "new" phone.

Dennis