+ Reply to Thread

unlock phone from uscellular to alltel help

i was recently given a 7135 that is activated through UScellular. i would like to transfer the phone to my alltel account. is there anyway to unlock this phone myself? alltel said they cannot activate or program the phone while it is programmed under uscellulars network. thanks for any advice

1st question:
    Do you live/work where Alltel & US Cellular overlap? I don't know of any areas where they compete head to head, so there shouldn't be an issue there with the PRL. Next, if the phone is on & you dial some "unreal" ph#, like #124 or something, what specifically does the message say? Does it identify the cellular company who gave the message? If its Alltel, do the esn change over the phone w/o telling them where its from & do *228 opt 2 like normal. Since its using Alltel aready you can get Alltel to overwrite the PRL w/o hassles. If it goes to Verizon or someone else, there will be more to do. Let me know.

the phone powers on as uscellular. when i dial an unreal number, an automated response comes on without stating a specific company. i have already tried to call alltel and they say they can do nothing if the phone is programmed under another carrier. when i dial *228 opt 2, alltel is unable to update my handset. any info would be greatly appreciated

*228 won't work until they put the esn on your account & your ph# has been programmed into it. But you also can't *228 until the phone is picking up Alltel's service, which it can't be forced to do - the US Cellular PRL is the prime directive and if the PRL tells it to go to Verizon or Sprint or who knows who then that is who it will try to use. I sent you a PM b/c I may be able to help figure it out w/a little more info.